How's your Engrish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daafish

Refugee
This site came to me from another forum that I post on. The difficulties of translation.

www.engrish.com

I wonder what this tastes like? :tongue:

plussy.jpg

Last edited:
That site's hilarious. :lol: I wish it wasn't based purely on poor translations, because I could have sent them this photograph I took near Trinity, Newfoundland:

trin3.jpg

I still don't understand this. Mind you, Newfoundlanders practically have their own language anyway.

I have a few I need to submit:

"CAUTION! Do not get out of campsite! Animal may attact human being!" - Pimbi (primative) Camp, Serengeti Nat'l Park, Tanzania

"Flash Toilets -->" restroom signs at Lake Manyara, Tanzania

"Califorina Nails" the original name of the Vietnamese manicure place across the hall from the store where my mom used to work.

GibsonGirl said:
That site's hilarious. :lol: I wish it wasn't based purely on poor translations

Yes, they should have weird headlines and such as well. :lol: My mom still uses the following headline example to bash the local press "Volunteers needed to help rape victims" :ohmy:

"Sopa de Brokoly" pwns everything anyone will ever post in this thread.

Read "Brokoly" outloud to understand. :no:

English is not my mothertongue...
So I suppose there are a lot of things I translate from Italian and don't make sense :lol:

As I lived in Asia for a few years and travel there frequently for work, this site has been one of my favorites for years now. I have a picture from Hong Kong that I still need to submit, I have a strong feeling it will be making it onto the site. :wink: :up:

EDIT: It's funny how many things from Japan I truely didn't notice were so hilarious in english. You live there and kind of get used to it and don't think about it. I've eaten "Collon" or drank Calpis numerous times for example, never thought twice about it. :wink:

Last edited:
:lol:

When I was in Spain they used to sell ""ants on the tree" at my favourite Chinese restaurant

Boys I'm divorce. :lol:

All this stuff reminds me of my old Chinese roommate, who spoke exactly like this. Do you know how she explained the word 'skirt' to me? "Like pant, but only one leg!"

talking about dumb signs and such

Our local newspaper had this headline last year

"Man Found Dead in Cemetary"

:ohmy: are you serious

I was gonna send it in to Jay Leno but I never got around to it

Back
Top Bottom