Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My Achtung Baby list was more like:

1. Zoo Station
2. Until the End of the World
3. The Fly
4. Even Better than the Real Thing
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Lady with the Spinning Head
7. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
9. One
10. Wild Irish Rose
11. Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk
12. Acrobat
13. Love Is Blindness

I normally skip straight from TFH to Disorder (as UP follows Closer in iTunes). :wink:

Relative play counts:
TFH: 42
The Eternal: 4
Decades: 3
Disorder: 46

Most of the JD discussion I've encountered seems to have largely discounted UP as some kind of build-up to Closer that doesn't quite achieve emotional resonance. I've always found UP to be more powerful. The "'til the spirit, new sensation takes hold, then you know" part of Disorder always affects me, and I've already mentioned New Dawn Fades.

Good lord, son! Go listen to the last three tracks of Closer in order right now. The Eternal is perhaps the only song I've ever heard that has made me physically ill, more than just a mere instance of light depression. That might sound like an exaggeration, but it seriously has that strength, all in the lyrics alone. And Decades - well, it's as deep as its title.

My Achtung Baby list was more like:

1. Zoo Station
2. Until the End of the World
3. The Fly
4. Even Better than the Real Thing
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Lady with the Spinning Head
7. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
9. One
10. Wild Irish Rose
11. Alex Descends Into Hell for a Bottle of Milk
12. Acrobat
13. Love Is Blindness

I still prefer it my way with WDIAGW instead of Ultra Violet and Slow Dancing instead of One.

Good lord, son! Go listen to the last three tracks of Closer in order right now. The Eternal is perhaps the only song I've ever heard that has made me physically ill, more than just a mere instance of light depression. That might sound like an exaggeration, but it seriously has that strength, all in the lyrics alone. And Decades - well, it's as deep as its title.

Actually, until an hour ago, those plays were 3 and 2 respectively (do keep in mind this is just over the last year; I'm too lazy to open up iTunes on the PC and see how much I played it for the 2.5 years I was playing music through iTunes on it). So I just listened to them, in other words. I'm no fan of Decades.

I still prefer it my way with WDIAGW instead of Ultra Violet and Slow Dancing instead of One.

Slow Dancing's nice, but there's never been a good studio version of it.

WDIAGW still bugs me. Never liked it. I think it's the choppiness.

Slow Dancing's nice, but there's never been a good studio version of it.

WDIAGW still bugs me. Never liked it. I think it's the choppiness.

Well, yeah, if Slow Dancing were on Achtung, you'd need a proper studio version of it. But it'd be a damn sight better than One.

And I still don't see your issue with the awesomeness of WDIAGW. :wink:

I'd say Reckoning and Murmur are about even for me. I'm with Ax here on Reckoning: the first five are better than the last five.

I'd say Reckoning and Murmur are about even for me. I'm with Ax here on Reckoning: the first five are better than the last five.

I routinely skip Camera and Little America, to the point that they have no plays on the Mac whatsoever. Took me some time to warm up to Don't Go Back To Rockville too.

In Absentia: Still not sure about how I feel when it comes to the metal portions. My biggest criticism of metal has always been the death growl, which Wilson doesn't do, but still ... on a song like Blackest Eyes, that riff is just too heavy, in my opinion. It just disrupts the song more than it rocks.

I honestly wouldn't consider anything on IA apart from Wedding Nails and maybe Strip The Soul to be metal. Blackest Eyes is barely heavier than live versions of The Fly.

Please, do go on.
Okay, well. Achtung Baby already sort of tells a story on its own, of the man who goes out and chooses the nightlife over his spouse, and then has to suffer the consequences. I'm expanding on that, and by the way, this is not gonna be a cheesy Broadway type thing with exaggerated dance numbers, this is more like.. a movie which just happens to be told through music, ala Across the Universe or Moulin Rouge.
So it's Berlin 1990, and we open with a train, the U-Bahn line, headed to Zoo Station, and appropriately the song begins. This is our introduction to Johnny (I stole his name from Mysterious Ways), who's ready to go out for the night and experience every aspect of the rapidly changing world around him.
He meets his best friend at the station, and its revealed that Johnny is married, and that he had a fight with his wife (who may or may not be pregnant, I haven't decided), because he wanted to go out and she wanted him to stay home. He thinks she just doesn't understand, and we see him remove his wedding ring and hide it in his pocket.
So they go to the club, where Johnny's ex girlfriend just happens to be, and through EBTTRT, he dances with various women, leading up to her, and then they talk about their relationship and why they broke up (gonna stick UTEOTW in here actually, as a duet), and they manage to make up... and the seduction ensues.
She ends up leading him out to a parked car in the street where they begin making out. But meanwhile, his wife, still upset from their fight, gets fed up and goes out to look for him, she ends up at the club, where she sees him and his ex girlfriend in the car. She turns away, hurt, but doesn't confront him. Love is Blindness is her song as she slowly walks home. The big clencher in the song comes at the 'a little death; a dangerous idea' part, where she stops on a footbridge and climbs halfway up the railing, contemplating jumping over, but ultimately doesn't.

Of course, the rest of the movie goes on, and more stuff happens. Mysterious Ways will be his friend convincing him to go back to his wife. The Wanderer is his walk home, Ultra Violet-Acrobat are the arguments once he gets there, and One being the bittersweet ending, as they stay together and try to make it work. Also, I kind of want to throw Zooropa in there near the beginning. It's all a work in progress :wink:

Please to not be stealing my ideas, internets :shifty:

So, do you good folk rate Orange Crush by REM or not?

It's okay, not a favourite. Would keep it on if it came on the radio. Unless Africa by Toto was playing on another station (which it almost always is).

What's your favourite track from Automatic? I think mine's Ignoreland.

It's okay, not a favourite. Would keep it on if it came on the radio. Unless Africa by Toto was playing on another station (which it almost always is).

Orange Crush is the first favourite song I ever had, back when I was three, so it always seems special to me.

On Automatic, my favourite is quite strongly Drive. Ignoreland's definitely in my top five, maybe even top three.

:lol:

My friends love techno, and play it all the time in the car. Africa is one of the big hits.

Agh, Bonnie, why don't we have any definite plans for the coming week?

Find the River is my favorite from Automatic, for the record.

I'd put Ignoreland towards the bottom, and that was re-confirmed having just heard it LIVE a few weeks ago. Ugh, please no.

Okay, well. Achtung Baby already sort of tells a story on its own, of the man who goes out and chooses the nightlife over his spouse, and then has to suffer the consequences. I'm expanding on that, and by the way, this is not gonna be a cheesy Broadway type thing with exaggerated dance numbers, this is more like.. a movie which just happens to be told through music, ala Across the Universe or Moulin Rouge.
So it's Berlin 1990, and we open with a train, the U-Bahn line, headed to Zoo Station, and appropriately the song begins. This is our introduction to Johnny (I stole his name from Mysterious Ways), who's ready to go out for the night and experience every aspect of the rapidly changing world around him.
He meets his best friend at the station, and its revealed that Johnny is married, and that he had a fight with his wife (who may or may not be pregnant, I haven't decided), because he wanted to go out and she wanted him to stay home. He thinks she just doesn't understand, and we see him remove his wedding ring and hide it in his pocket.
So they go to the club, where Johnny's ex girlfriend just happens to be, and through EBTTRT, he dances with various women, leading up to her, and then they talk about their relationship and why they broke up (gonna stick UTEOTW in here actually, as a duet), and they manage to make up... and the seduction ensues.
She ends up leading him out to a parked car in the street where they begin making out. But meanwhile, his wife, still upset from their fight, gets fed up and goes out to look for him, she ends up at the club, where she sees him and his ex girlfriend in the car. She turns away, hurt, but doesn't confront him. Love is Blindness is her song as she slowly walks home. The big clencher in the song comes at the 'a little death; a dangerous idea' part, where she stops on a footbridge and climbs halfway up the railing, contemplating jumping over, but ultimately doesn't.

Of course, the rest of the movie goes on, and more stuff happens. Mysterious Ways will be his friend convincing him to go back to his wife. The Wanderer is his walk home, Ultra Violet-Acrobat are the arguments once he gets there, and One being the bittersweet ending, as they stay together and try to make it work. Also, I kind of want to throw Zooropa in there near the beginning. It's all a work in progress :wink:

Please to not be stealing my ideas, internets :shifty:

That sounds pretty cool. :up: Not really my sort of thing, but I like what you've described of the development.

You know, it's funny, because I've been writing a movie script for a U2 biopic.

Actually I haven't really but wouldn't it be funny if I were!

Find the River is my favorite from Automatic, for the record.

I'd put Ignoreland towards the bottom, and that was re-confirmed having just heard it LIVE a few weeks ago. Ugh, please no.

I liked Find the River but now I find it pretty boring and AOR. Doesn't help that my mum loves it and used to play it all the time.

Hi, though!

Find The River took forever to click with me, but when it did, it clicked in a big way and is now my #2 on the album.

I will not bore you and everyone else in here, so I will try to keep this short:

U2 are my favorite band, by a lot, but REM are my 2nd, by a lot, and this goes back to 1983/1984, when I was a kid and they were only getting played on college radio.....so, they mean a lot to me......anyway, Find the River is my favorite song of theirs and I never had heard it LIVE....until the concert a few weeks ago....so it was a pretty amazing moment for me to finally hear it. Anyway, sorry, carry on.....

hey mike, sup

I will not bore you and everyone else in here, so I will try to keep this short:

U2 are my favorite band, by a lot, but REM are my 2nd, by a lot, and this goes back to 1983/1984, when I was a kid and they were only getting played on college radio.....so, they mean a lot to me......anyway, Find the River is my favorite song of theirs and I never had heard it LIVE....until the concert a few weeks ago....so it was a pretty amazing moment for me to finally hear it. Anyway, sorry, carry on.....
:cute:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom