Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:hmm: i doubt any of my friends want me to really blunt with them. because there'd be a lot of things i could say that they wouldn't want to hear. plus, i'm sure they'd say stuff i wouldn't want to hear :giggle:

Oh, one of my friends in particular loves calling me to talk things over because he knows that I don't exactly moderate my opinions and just say exactly what I think. I won't say anything that'll make somebody feel really bad just for being themselves, but if they're thinking of doing something daft, I figure they need to be called out ahead of time.

Usually these phone calls just descend into us piling shit onto things we didn't like back in high school. :laugh:

Oh, one of my friends in particular loves calling me to talk things over because he knows that I don't exactly moderate my opinions and just say exactly what I think. I won't say anything that'll make somebody feel really bad just for being themselves, but if they're thinking of doing something daft, I figure they need to be called out ahead of time.

Usually these phone calls just descend into us piling shit onto things we didn't like back in high school. :laugh:
:lol:

What shitted me off was when Kate would chide me after these calls for apparently being "bitter" and not getting over things I didn't like at high school. No, the topic just came up, so we spoke about it, and we don't believe in just discussing positive things. The fact it comes up regularly is not a sign of bitterness, just sign of a topic we have in common!

What shitted me off was when Kate would chide me after these calls for apparently being "bitter" and not getting over things I didn't like at high school. No, the topic just came up, so we spoke about it, and we don't believe in just discussing positive things. The fact it comes up regularly is not a sign of bitterness, just sign of a topic we have in common!
bitter? lol, that's hilarious! sometimes people want to bitch about something. it doesn't necessarily have to be a recent event. the only way i would think someone is bitter about something is if THEY constantly brought it up. otherwise, who cares? a lot of people think high school sucked, it's not like the day you graduate you can't talk about it unless it's a positive memory.

bitter? lol, that's hilarious! sometimes people want to bitch about something. it doesn't necessarily have to be a recent event. the only way i would think someone is bitter about something is if THEY constantly brought it up. otherwise, who cares? a lot of people think high school sucked, it's not like the day you graduate you can't talk about it unless it's a positive memory.

Yeah, exactly. It was as if since she had positive memories, everybody else had to as well. I loathed high school. It was terrible on most levels. And when I talk to some of my friends who had similar experiences - well, it's something we've got in common, and it's a topic that easily comes up if we start reminiscing about anything. "Remember when Johnno did this ...?" "Oh yeah, that was funny, I can't believe the school let him get away with that!" "Yeah, they were usually such arseholes about that sort of thing." And the shit-slinging begins.

Plus, I've got to admit, we kind of enjoy it.

Yeah, exactly. It was as if since she had positive memories, everybody else had to as well. I loathed high school. It was terrible on most levels. And when I talk to some of my friends who had similar experiences - well, it's something we've got in common, and it's a topic that easily comes up if we start reminiscing about anything. "Remember when Johnno did this ...?" "Oh yeah, that was funny, I can't believe the school let him get away with that!" "Yeah, they were usually such arseholes about that sort of thing." And the shit-slinging begins.

Plus, I've got to admit, we kind of enjoy it.
:tsk: i have some good memories of high school, but for the most part i didn't like it either. then again, nothing was as bad as middle school was when i moved here, but still.

and exactly. it's something you all share in common, so it's bound to come up. i don't know about her, but i find i talk about the things i share in common with my friends. i wouldn't ask you "so yeah, it sucks to get traffic tickets doesn't it?" because that would be a fucking retarded thing to say.

:tsk: i have some good memories of high school, but for the most part i didn't like it either. then again, nothing was as bad as middle school was when i moved here, but still.

and exactly. it's something you all share in common, so it's bound to come up. i don't know about her, but i find i talk about the things i share in common with my friends. i wouldn't ask you "so yeah, it sucks to get traffic tickets doesn't it?" because that would be a fucking retarded thing to say.

Oh yeah, not all my memories of high school are bad, but on the whole it was a pretty shit experience and a waste of time. Not even university is tremendously fulfilling but it's something of an improvement.

Heh, exactly. And I wouldn't be bitching to you about how shit Mr Whoever was! It wouldn't make any sense. But if one of the guys from high school calls up, then it's a logical thing to come up. And since we tend to agree that high school was on the whole pretty bad, then on the whole our discussion of it will inevitably be framed in negative terms.

Oh yeah, not all my memories of high school are bad, but on the whole it was a pretty shit experience and a waste of time. Not even university is tremendously fulfilling but it's something of an improvement.

Heh, exactly. And I wouldn't be bitching to you about how shit Mr Whoever was! It wouldn't make any sense. But if one of the guys from high school calls up, then it's a logical thing to come up. And since we tend to agree that high school was on the whole pretty bad, then on the whole our discussion of it will inevitably be framed in negative terms.
i know what you mean. to me, coll-ehh, university :wink: is the same way. i attend because i have to. you can't get a decent job with just a high school diploma. i certainly don't want to have this job forever!

and i think talking about bad things that happened in life is therapeutic. it's not good to keep all that stuff bottled inside. now, people who just dwell on negatives and shit all the time, that's not healthy either.

So let me get this straight, Ax is a bit of a night owl? ;)

I have a friend who always dwells. She's had it rough but admittedly she's brought a lot of it on herself. She chooses to work two days a week and live in a tiny flat in a not so great part of town, yet she's always complaining about how she barely manages to get by. :scratch: I've tried telling her if she betters her situation she could improve her conditions but she refuses to so I say "oh well".

I need coffee. I look like shit, have no coffee in the house, so I might be forced to run to the drive through in a few. :hmm:

Btw, anyone considering seeing the Happening DON'T. It was so bad it was comical...

i know what you mean. to me, coll-ehh, university :wink: is the same way. i attend because i have to. you can't get a decent job with just a high school diploma. i certainly don't want to have this job forever!

and i think talking about bad things that happened in life is therapeutic. it's not good to keep all that stuff bottled inside. now, people who just dwell on negatives and shit all the time, that's not healthy either.

My main problem with university is that people kept trying to tell me how much I'd love it, how intellectually stimulating it would be, and so on ... and it's just not. I shouldn't have had expectations. But too much of the time, I feel like I'm not even trying. I hope Honours and postgrad will be different, but I'm not entirely getting my hopes up.

Yeah, no need to dwell on things all the bloody time. That's pointless. At least learn from something if you must dwell on it.

So let me get this straight, Ax is a bit of a night owl? ;)

Put it this way: I consider 1:30am early. Though 3:30am is late.

Btw, anyone considering seeing the Happening DON'T. It was so bad it was comical...

Another person saying that! It's gotten so many terrible reviews that I now feel like I need to see it! :laugh:

My main problem with university is that people kept trying to tell me how much I'd love it, how intellectually stimulating it would be, and so on ... and it's just not. I shouldn't have had expectations. But too much of the time, I feel like I'm not even trying. I hope Honours and postgrad will be different, but I'm not entirely getting my hopes up.

Yeah, no need to dwell on things all the bloody time. That's pointless. At least learn from something if you must dwell on it.
yeah, i find classes incredibly boring. even when i took classes on campus, it was like get in, do the work, leave...i never felt like i gave a damn about the curriculum.

exactly :up:

yeah, i find classes incredibly boring. even when i took classes on campus, it was like get in, do the work, leave...i never felt like i gave a damn about the curriculum.

Yeah, and I really just don't feel challenged by the curriculum. Every course seems to fit the template. If you work out how to succeed with the template, you're good and don't really need to engage your brain. You just have to slog through lots of repetitive bullshit.

Yeah, and I really just don't feel challenged by the curriculum. Every course seems to fit the template. If you work out how to succeed with the template, you're good and don't really need to engage your brain. You just have to slog through lots of repetitive bullshit.
:yes: and classes are definitely repetitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom