Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my school was ostensibly Protestant, we had our conservative faction. I don't think this particular fellow really had any political views, though. He was just astonishingly stupid and thought homosexuals were gross and communists must be evil and handicapped people are creepy. He didn't even realise the Holocaust had happened or that it was worse than 11 September 2001 until I told him. In grade 12.

And I love how all of my university tutes tend to just turn into a leftie agreement session.

For a school that by all rights ought to have been quite conservative, was quite pleasant. The Principal and Board, etc were all very pro-National, but the students just ignored it.

I love University. We all just sit around agreeing and laughing.

I'm not complaining as such, because when we were looking at the house a plane flew over. 99% of the time it's really cool, but it's crazy that with the noise abatement procedures in Auckland we still get them going over at midnight after having quiet landing planes coming over all day.

And yeah. That extra 120km/h isn't going to make a difference.

God, this is what pisses me off: when people buy a house and KNOW it's near an airport flight path or a railway line or whatever, then bitch every fucking time an upgrade is planned. I used to live by the Robina railway line on the Gold Coast. When we moved in there, we knew the train line was there and that trains would pass every 15 minutes. The neighbours who actually complained cracked me up. I was glad they were too lazy to ever do much but quietly whine to themselves to hear the sound of their own voice.

:lmao:

And here I was, thinking that being able to build trains in my own workshops would just be handy because it would avoid the whole "damn, we need to ship it across a huge fucking ocean" factor.

But I suppose if I can join in on the dreaming, my trains would be able to carry 300 seated passengers in four carriages; one first class, two regular, and one regular/buffet, with the buffet providing a nice selection of hot meals and drinks and stuff. They could run at over 200km/h, come to a smooth stop within 50 metres, never be late, and be powered by my vitrolic rants and hyperbole so that Interference need not suffer it.

You could ship the trains in my Uber Plane.

God, this is what pisses me off: when people buy a house and KNOW it's near an airport flight path or a railway line or whatever, then bitch every fucking time an upgrade is planned. I used to live by the Robina railway line on the Gold Coast. When we moved in there, we knew the train line was there and that trains would pass every 15 minutes. The neighbours who actually complained cracked me up. I was glad they were too lazy to ever do much but quietly whine to themselves to hear the sound of their own voice.

The people so opposed to a second runway at Auckland are stupid. Guys, there's always going to be a need to progress and expand.

I'm opposed to it for other reasons.

To be fair though, if that plane hadn't flown across we'd have had no idea there were going to be planes flying past. But as far as i'm concerned, heaven.

For a school that by all rights ought to have been quite conservative, was quite pleasant. The Principal and Board, etc were all very pro-National, but the students just ignored it.

I love University. We all just sit around agreeing and laughing.

Hah. I must admit, I'm surprised how many of my teachers were on the left side of the fence, given the higher-ups were uncomfortably conservative. One even wrote an article in the school newsletter about how terrible Harry Potter is. Now, normally I'd be inclined to agree, because that stuff is shit literature, but this was the usual "fundie 10 point plan" on how eeeevil it is. Wish I'd kept that newsletter now as it was good for a laugh.

The people so opposed to a second runway at Auckland are stupid. Guys, there's always going to be a need to progress and expand.

I'm opposed to it for other reasons.

To be fair though, if that plane hadn't flown across we'd have had no idea there were going to be planes flying past. But as far as i'm concerned, heaven.

What's your suggestion re: expanding Auckland's airport/building a second one?

And it just irritates the fuck out of me when NIMBYs actually get in the way of real progress. There was a great post on Railpage recently, I'm trying to find it. It was perfect and should be posted to every NIMBY on earth.

I'd die. How the fuck are you functioning?
i have no clue. i brought caffeine pills to work with me :sigh: i was going to grab an energy drink too, but i need that more this thursday when i have to stay up all night to take my mom to the hospital at 5:30.

my first thoughts when i woke up and looked at the time, i was like "fuck, i didn't even get a full rem cycle!" :nerd:

i have no clue. i brought caffeine pills to work with me :sigh: i was going to grab an energy drink too, but i need that more this thursday when i have to stay up all night to take my mom to the hospital at 5:30.

my first thoughts when i woke up and looked at the time, i was like "fuck, i didn't even get a full rem cycle!" :nerd:

Bloody hell, Khan! I'm seriously a zombie on any less than seven. Go sleep!

What's your suggestion re: expanding Auckland's airport/building a second one.

Let's ignore rail and deal with reality for a bit.

I don't think Auckland needs another airport. Perhaps two daily flights out of Whenuapai on 60-odd seat turboprops to Wellington would be worth trialling.

Auckland Airport will eventually need to expand the international and domestic terminals - my solution in part to this is to put international and domestic in the same building. It's just easier.

The second runway as it stands is a blunder. It's too short for any meaningful international operations, and as it is positioned on the north side of the airport, causes a bit of a problem.

Most international flights to New Zealand come from the north. Most domestic from the south. For some bright reason they've decided to make sure you have to somehow get the international and domestic traffic to cross over in the late stages of approach.

The international terminal is also closer to the access to the new runway, for domestic flights it will add at least 10 minutes of taxiing.

It is future proofed so it can be made longer, but i say they should just build it to the max now so you don't have to force domestic flights to use it just so someone is using it.

Concept: good. Execution: Not so much.

i wish i could! i'm at work :sigh: i had to come in early so i can go to a friend's wedding. a wedding which i'm sure will be at least a little hillbilly :uhoh:

Work: the perfect place to sleep!

And I'm honestly glad none of my friends are in serious relationships and looking at marriage, because I'll only grudgingly drag myself along to weddings. What snoozefests.

Let's ignore rail and deal with reality for a bit.

I don't think Auckland needs another airport. Perhaps two daily flights out of Whenuapai on 60-odd seat turboprops to Wellington would be worth trialling.

Auckland Airport will eventually need to expand the international and domestic terminals - my solution in part to this is to put international and domestic in the same building. It's just easier.

The second runway as it stands is a blunder. It's too short for any meaningful international operations, and as it is positioned on the north side of the airport, causes a bit of a problem.

Most international flights to New Zealand come from the north. Most domestic from the south. For some bright reason they've decided to make sure you have to somehow get the international and domestic traffic to cross over in the late stages of approach.

The international terminal is also closer to the access to the new runway, for domestic flights it will add at least 10 minutes of taxiing.

It is future proofed so it can be made longer, but i say they should just build it to the max now so you don't have to force domestic flights to use it just so someone is using it.

Concept: good. Execution: Not so much.

Your new longest post?

Personally, it just strikes me as ridiculous for a city the size of Auckland to have two airports, so working with the existing one would obviously be much more ideal. It also has good potential for rail access, which I simply had to bring up.

And don't worry, whatever plan they choose will be staggeringly illogical and daft. It's the way of the world.

Work: the perfect place to sleep!

And I'm honestly glad none of my friends are in serious relationships and looking at marriage, because I'll only grudgingly drag myself along to weddings. What snoozefests.
god i wish :drool: i could go to sleep right about now.

ugh, tell me about it! luckily, this is the only friend of mine who is close to getting married. everyone else is in relationships (seriously, i'm the "single friend") but none of them seem like they're going to get engaged for a while. i just thank god she didn't ask me to be in her wedding, because i wouldn't have been able to afford it, and i'd probably make a shitty bridesmaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom