Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going tomorrow....nice walk-off today, we were watching at work.

My Yanks lost, sadly, their nice winning streak has halted.

Ha, I can definitely get you an internship! :)

Haha Yes very nice walk off.
I had to leave home for work as the Sox were winning 3-1 but Ashley came running into the store yelling CUBS WIN!
It was quite interesting.
Brittany = the future cubs sports broadcaster.

I'm going to throw some thoughts down here, because i'm bored.

Firstly, what Gold Coast Airport is now is paradise. I remember going there on Freedom Air and it was a fucking prefab shack. But you already know that. Could still benefit from a bit more gate space.

Secondly, there are a shitload of reasons for no airbridges.

1) They're expensive. To buy, install and operate.
2) Airbridges need two story (at least) buildings to work. Gold Coast Airport is one story and doesn't need to be any more without adding to point #1
3) Low cost airlines like to use both front and rear doors as it makes boarding and disembarking faster - and Cooly is almost exclusively low coast airlines. They also don't like point #1
4) Gold Coast climate is conducive to walking across the tarmac
5) It's common in a lot of places - i walked across the tarmac to board a Pacific Blue flight in AUCKLAND. Europe as well.
6) See #1

Oh, I won't argue that Coolangatta is fucking paradise now compared to ten years ago. It's also fairly compact without being cramped, which I appreciate. But I loathe the departure lounge, since if you have anything less than perfect vision you can just forget being able to find your gate with ease. Then heading out onto the tarmac is sometimes poorly directed, and when I was once leading everybody to the plane, I was bloody terrified I was leading everyone to the wrong plane since there was NOBODY out there directing us! Surely there's a regulation against that.

It still strikes me as an airport that has been left behind by its patronage, though. It feels like an airport for a Palmerston North kind of city. Yet the Gold Coast is bigger than Wellington! Twice as big! More and more international flights are going to be coming into there rather than Brisbane and I think it should go to two storeys or else it just won't cope.

And as for #4, I beg to differ! Walking off the plane and being hit by a wall of sticky heat is not fun.

http://www.flightmapping.com/news/Co...t-airports.asp

Quote:
The Biggest Airport in the World
Taken literally as the airport which takes up the most land mass, this is the King Khalid International Airport in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. It takes up some 81 square miles - an area larger than many cities.

Trivia: This airport has four terminals, yet only three have ever been used.

The second biggest airport in the world is Denver International, which takes up 53 square miles.

By comparison, London Heathrow takes up around 3,000 acres, or just 4.7 square miles.

Verified, by another source.

Oh, I won't argue that Coolangatta is fucking paradise now compared to ten years ago. It's also fairly compact without being cramped, which I appreciate. But I loathe the departure lounge, since if you have anything less than perfect vision you can just forget being able to find your gate with ease. Then heading out onto the tarmac is sometimes poorly directed, and when I was once leading everybody to the plane, I was bloody terrified I was leading everyone to the wrong plane since there was NOBODY out there directing us! Surely there's a regulation against that.

And as for #4, I beg to differ! Walking off the plane and being hit by a wall of sticky heat is not fun.

Damn! Yeah, i'd be annoyed if there was nobody directing. That's asking for trouble.

Yeah, i didn't like getting off a nicely air conditioned plane and getting smacked by the humidity. But you have to face it eventually.

DFW could be, I'd be surprised if Denver was......even so, O'Hare is still huge.

Freaking hate that airport (DFW I mean)

Yes, I am. The Yankees did lose. :)

In theory, of course I could help get you one.

Oh you and your sarcasm :p

We will speak on this topic again at a future date :hmm:
Such humility. :)

You're talking to the girl that is going to be a Lawyer, the President, an Astronaut, a Doctor, a Psychologist, and maybe, just for the heck of it, owner of a sports bar in wrigleyville

Freaking hate that airport (DFW I mean)

Oh you and your sarcasm :p

We will speak on this topic again at a future date :hmm:

You're talking to the girl that is going to be a Lawyer, the President, an Astronaut, a Doctor, a Psychologist, and maybe, just for the heck of it, owner of a sports bar in wrigleyville

Me? Sarcastic? Huh? :)

We can talk about that at a later date, of course. If it ever comes to fruition, you'd better work your ass off!

She's not short on ambition, I see this. :)

If we're going to talk about exorbitantly large things, how about Kalgoorlie-Boulder in Western Australia, the world's largest city by land area?

Wikipedia said:
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is a Local Government Area in the Goldfields-Esperance region of Western Australia, about 550 kilometres (342 mi) east of the state capital, Perth. The City covers an area of 95,575 square kilometres (36,902 sq mi), and its seat of government is the town of Kalgoorlie; all but 244 of the city's population [of 28,422] live either in Kalgoorlie or in Boulder.

Hey! Im really gonna own a sports RESTAURANT that is going to be called Brittany's and I have all the plans for it so :madspit:
And Ive always said Im gonna be president (though it will probably never happen)
And I really wanna be a Psychologist Id be really good at it so ha.

And YOUR the one that wants me to be a sports broadcaster. YOU said Id be good at it.
So yeah.

Damn! Yeah, i'd be annoyed if there was nobody directing. That's asking for trouble.

Yeah, i didn't like getting off a nicely air conditioned plane and getting smacked by the humidity. But you have to face it eventually.

I'd rather not go nicely air conditioned plane --> wall of humidity --> nicely air conditioned airport, though.

And another huge problem with Coolangatta is how mindlessly small its carparking area is. My family has had problems with that on numerous occasions. Get there at the wrong time and it makes shopping centres at Christmastime look like paradise.

Hey! Im really gonna own a sports RESTAURANT that is going to be called Brittany's and I have all the plans for it so :madspit:
And Ive always said Im gonna be president (though it will probably never happen)
And I really wanna be a Psychologist Id be really good at it so ha.

And YOUR the one that wants me to be a sports broadcaster. YOU said Id be good at it.
So yeah.

Oh and I forgot the astronaut thing was to make me more well known as Im running for president.

I'd rather not go nicely air conditioned plane --> wall of humidity --> nicely air conditioned airport, though.

And another huge problem with Coolangatta is how mindlessly small its carparking area is. My family has had problems with that on numerous occasions. Get there at the wrong time and it makes shopping centres at Christmastime look like paradise.

:laugh:

Can't say i know about the carparking problem, we usually just get dropped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom