Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As they start to can frequency as oil prices worsen you'll need even more luck.

This is the one huge advantage rail has: it is ridiculously fuel efficient compared to other modes of transport, especially on electrified lines and freight routes. As trucking becomes more and more expensive due to rising oil prices, train freight rates are rising only marginally. Three diesel locomotives hauling sixty carriages of three containers each versus 180 trucks: which do you think is going to survive a fuel crisis better!

I know.

I do not know how I used to fly pre-Ipod. I used to schlep 50 CDS on the plane, along with at least one book. The Ipod. :love:

Cabin noise :drool:

I can't stand flying if i'm not at the window. I could be fascinated for hours just watching out the window.

The iPod (and FM radio on my phone) has made my bus trip so much less dull.

Oh yeah, that's stupid. I find at stops where a lot of people get off - my uni, for example, we're slowed down because there are so many people offering other people the chance to go first.
oh geez :crack: if i were on my way off and i passed an elderly or pregnant person, i'd offer them to go in front of me. but if they don't say yes, then i'll just get off the damn thing.

although i suppose if i had to choose, i'd rather have people with too much manners (after you, no after you, no please i insist...) than none at all.

I do not know how I used to fly pre-Ipod. I used to schlep 50 CDS on the plane, along with at least one book. The Ipod. :love:

Oh god, I remember those days. My bag would be so weighed down by the CDs I'd bring. Now it's just the books. I can't travel with less than three books per flight: one that I'm currently reading, plus two options in case I finish. Longer flights, I'll pack even more.

Oh god, I remember those days. My bag would be so weighed down by the CDs I'd bring. Now it's just the books. I can't travel with less than three books per flight: one that I'm currently reading, plus two options in case I finish. Longer flights, I'll pack even more.

I take one book for every 3 hours of flying time, basically.

same here. it's been a while since i flew and had even the seat next to me empty. thanks to them making tons of cuts in terms of flights, whenever i fly now we're packed in like sardines. and i don't even fly southwest (well, mainly because they don't service my city) or any similar airlines.

If they did serve Memphis, fly Southwest.

They pretty much offer the exact same as airlines like United and Northwest now, but without being sneaky pricks about paying for everything.

There's a reason they always come out on top of satisfaction surveys.

Cabin noise :drool:

I can't stand flying if i'm not at the window. I could be fascinated for hours just watching out the window.

The iPod (and FM radio on my phone) has made my bus trip so much less dull.

I prefer the aisle, because I do not like to disturb people if I want to get up and stretch or use the bathroom....but if I had the row to myself, I'd slide tgo the window....on a train, right to the window for me. LOVE watching scenery pass me on by, wondering who lives in that house, where is that car heading, etc.....

oh geez :crack: if i were on my way off and i passed an elderly or pregnant person, i'd offer them to go in front of me. but if they don't say yes, then i'll just get off the damn thing.

although i suppose if i had to choose, i'd rather have people with too much manners (after you, no after you, no please i insist...) than none at all.

It's not too bad (after you, no after you, ok!)

well boo. i guess i'm in the minority. delaying the lines though isn't really a problem here since it's so infrequently used, plus there's no set schedule like "a trolley will be at stop 4 at 3:17 pm" so sometimes a trolley comes by after you've been standing there for a minute, sometimes you get to the stop just as one pulls away and you have to wait 15-20 minutes for another one...

I think the general understanding of public transport etiquette in Melbourne is that as the tram or train is slowing to a stop, you make a move. You certainly shouldn't be neatly putting your book into your bag and carefully putting away your reading glasses after the doors are already open, like some people I've seen. Especially on peak hour trams on sections of track where there's more than one route, all of which are running at frequencies of five minutes or less.

I prefer the aisle, because I do not like to disturb people if I want to get up and stretch or use the bathroom....but if I had the row to myself, I'd slide tgo the window....on a train, right to the window for me. LOVE watching scenery pass me on by, wondering who lives in that house, where is that car heading, etc.....

I don't worry about disturbing people. It's a fact of flying that someone will probably have to climb over you.

I love watching cities, countryside and even the ocean from the air. Some of my best memories are when i flew Tokyo-London and watched Siberia pass below me, and London-LAX where i got to watch Greenland, Canada, the USA and even Hoover Dam. Just amazing.

You've described my attitude perfectly.

Shame how the view out of trans-Tasman flights is dead fucking boring for 90% of the trip.

If they did serve Memphis, fly Southwest.

They pretty much offer the exact same as airlines like United and Northwest now, but without being sneaky pricks about paying for everything.

There's a reason they always come out on top of satisfaction surveys.
:hmm: it'd be tough for me because i have so many frequent flier miles with northwest. the only reason i went with northwest is because one of their hubs is here so i figured i'd always have a better chance getting a flight to where i wanna go with them compared to someone else. and it is true, we have three terminals and half of them are devoted to northwest. terminal a is all just northwest flights. but if southwest were to start servicing this city, i suppose i'd just cash out all my miles and use them instead.

I think the general understanding of public transport etiquette in Melbourne is that as the tram or train is slowing to a stop, you make a move. You certainly shouldn't be neatly putting your book into your bag and carefully putting away your reading glasses after the doors are already open, like some people I've seen. Especially on peak hour trams on sections of track where there's more than one route, all of which are running at frequencies of five minutes or less.
oh god, now that's just retarded. usually what i do is stand up as it's stopping, so i'm all ready to walk out when it's at the stop. i usually sit close to the front so being up at the door is a non-issue for me.

Shame how the view out of trans-Tasman flights is dead fucking boring for 90% of the trip.

It's always worth it for takeoff and landing.

Runway 23 approach at Auckland - where when you're coming from the west it requires overflying the city, turning over my suburb and then a long final with great views of either the city or towards the Waikato.

:hmm: it'd be tough for me because i have so many frequent flier miles with northwest. the only reason i went with northwest is because one of their hubs is here so i figured i'd always have a better chance getting a flight to where i wanna go with them compared to someone else. and it is true, we have three terminals and half of them are devoted to northwest. terminal a is all just northwest flights. but if southwest were to start servicing this city, i suppose i'd just cash out all my miles and use them instead.

Once Delta and Northwest have merged i wouldn't bet on Memphis still being a hub.....perhaps you could package yourself up and go FedEx.

oh god, now that's just retarded. usually what i do is stand up as it's stopping, so i'm all ready to walk out when it's at the stop. i usually sit close to the front so being up at the door is a non-issue for me.

Right, yeah. What's a real pain in the arse on peak hour trams is when you get trapped in the middle and need to make your way through a crush loading to the door. The combination of people who are pinned in a spot and can't move for you and idiots who just won't move for you means you sometimes worry "shit, will I get to the door in time for my stop?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom