Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
During rush hour, some Japanese sleep while standing. They lean against each other and fucking fall asleep. It's unreal. Like you, I do not need a seat, but I do not need to feel like a Sardine either. I'll likely not ride a train in India anytime soon.

:laugh: Wow. That's just insane.

And Indian trains look absolutely nuts. I'd love to go on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, though. Any train that's made a World Heritage Site has got to be good.

oh, and re: trains. riding the public transportation (lmao, i'm saying that like we have some) here is awesome if you need space. why, riding the trolleys downtown, there are times when you have the whole damn thing to yourself! :sad:

I've once managed to get a tram all to myself on a late night run into the city. It was bloody weird.

I've once managed to get a tram all to myself on a late night run into the city. It was bloody weird.
what's sad is it's not uncommon to have the trolleys to yourself any time of the day. on weekend nights (like, right about now) they probably have some decent traffic in them, but any other time they're dead. especially the line that goes from downtown to midtown; no one's ever on those :sigh: it seems memphians view them as "touristy" - why yes, i'd much rather get in my car from my downtown condo, drive to work (which is also downtown), and pay like $20 to park all day in a lot. instead of, you know, paying maybe $2.50 roundtrip (assuming you don't buy a monthly pass which is stupid not to) to ride public transporation. wtf.

The best public transport trips are where it's nearly empty.

The bus with all of 5 people onboard = actually relaxing

I find a tram that's reasonably loaded just after the morning peak to be best. There's enough life to justify the damn thing running, it's mainly people who have arranged to start work later than 9am and like their peace and quiet (or uni students like me who've just woken up and want to go back to sleep), and odds are you get enough room to comfortably spread out with one of the 4 seat cubicles to yourself.

It always makes me laugh when I get on a tram just before the end of peak and the front half is packed while almost nobody has thought to go down the rear half.

If you get your own row, you're like a King.

I dream of being that lucky. It's been a good few years since I've had enough room on a plane to really spread out.

Though when I flew from Chicago to Nashville in 2005, I had the rear of the plane just about all to myself. The rear three rows were all empty, so I had plenty of space to get comfy. :up:

It always makes me laugh when I get on a tram just before the end of peak and the front half is packed while almost nobody has thought to go down the rear half.
yes. or, when it comes to a stop people are already standing at the door like you get a prize for getting off first, or the conductor would be too stupid to realize someone walking from the back towards the door wants to get off at the stop.

Me too. Amazing how one little empty middle seat turns your trip from crap to awesome. If you get your own row, you're like a King.

When i did some travelling around NZ last December, my first flight was packed to the brim except for the seat next to me. I was over the moon.

The next flight i had the middle seat, but since it was 45 minutes i wasn't worried. The next two flights i had an empty middle seat next to me and an empty row. Shame they were only 1 hour flights and i couldn't make full use of it...

I dream of being that lucky. It's been a good few years since I've had enough room on a plane to really spread out.

Though when I flew from Chicago to Nashville in 2005, I had the rear of the plane just about all to myself. The rear three rows were all empty, so I had plenty of space to get comfy. :up:

Well, since 9/11, routes keep decreasing, so, the odds on getting an empty row grow slim......I'll settle for the empty middle seat. Awesome feeling when that seat is empty, and you're staring at the cabin door....and they close that shit....like winning the lottery.

yes. or, when it comes to a stop people are already standing at the door like you get a prize for getting off first, or the conductor would be too stupid to realize someone walking from the back towards the door wants to get off at the stop.

On the bus on my trip home i usually get up and stand by the door. I'm normally just about the last one off and may as well make the process a bit quicker for the driver.

same here. it's been a while since i flew and had even the seat next to me empty. thanks to them making tons of cuts in terms of flights, whenever i fly now we're packed in like sardines. and i don't even fly southwest (well, mainly because they don't service my city) or any similar airlines.

last time i flew was to baltimore last year, and we were full up. same with the flight i had last year from vegas. it was especially terrible for vegas flying back because a four (or whatever) hour flight turned into eight or nine hours since we were grounded for so long in another city. i forget why we had to land elsewhere, i think it's because the memphis airport's runways were clogged? or bad weather? i forget.

I find a tram that's reasonably loaded just after the morning peak to be best. There's enough life to justify the damn thing running, it's mainly people who have arranged to start work later than 9am and like their peace and quiet (or uni students like me who've just woken up and want to go back to sleep), and odds are you get enough room to comfortably spread out with one of the 4 seat cubicles to yourself.

I love that with our buses that run every 15 minutes, i don't bother catching the 8:00, 8:30 or anything that starts on the hour or half hour. So many people are sure they have to catch the bus at EXACTLY 8:30. If i catch the bus at 8:45 i'll often beat the 8:30 bus, and have more space.

what's sad is it's not uncommon to have the trolleys to yourself any time of the day. on weekend nights (like, right about now) they probably have some decent traffic in them, but any other time they're dead. especially the line that goes from downtown to midtown; no one's ever on those :sigh: it seems memphians view them as "touristy" - why yes, i'd much rather get in my car from my downtown condo, drive to work (which is also downtown), and pay like $20 to park all day in a lot. instead of, you know, paying maybe $2.50 roundtrip (assuming you don't buy a monthly pass which is stupid not to) to ride public transporation. wtf.

Wow, that's really sad. The trams here tend to be well-loaded at most times of the day. The only times I really see them with next-to-nobody on board are late night services running into the city, but they're just returning from suburban termini after delivering a packed crowd of people home. When I first moved to Melbourne, I was amazed when I hopped on trams at 11:30pm on random weeknights to find it was hard to get a seat.

The main problem here is that we urgently need LOTS more trains and trams to get more people out of their cars. Current crush loadings are dissuading some people. This city will be a bloody dream if we can double public transport usage. They might even be able to viably close some inner city streets to vehicular traffic. Bourke Street already is exclusively used by pedestrians and trams for a couple of blocks and it's one of the best parts of the city.

On the bus on my trip home i usually get up and stand by the door. I'm normally just about the last one off and may as well make the process a bit quicker for the driver.
well that's different, but if there's other people getting on/off at that stop, it just seems silly to practically push past other people like "outta my way!! i wanna get off first!"

or the morons who won't let you get off so they can get on, but that's another story...

Well, since 9/11, routes keep decreasing, so, the odds on getting an empty row grow slim......I'll settle for the empty middle seat. Awesome feeling when that seat is empty, and you're staring at the cabin door....and they close that shit....like winning the lottery.

As they start to can frequency as oil prices worsen you'll need even more luck.

Wow, that's really sad. The trams here tend to be well-loaded at most times of the day. The only times I really see them with next-to-nobody on board are late night services running into the city, but they're just returning from suburban termini after delivering a packed crowd of people home. When I first moved to Melbourne, I was amazed when I hopped on trams at 11:30pm on random weeknights to find it was hard to get a seat.

The main problem here is that we urgently need LOTS more trains and trams to get more people out of their cars. Current crush loadings are dissuading some people. This city will be a bloody dream if we can double public transport usage. They might even be able to viably close some inner city streets to vehicular traffic. Bourke Street already is exclusively used by pedestrians and trams for a couple of blocks and it's one of the best parts of the city.
yes, it is sad. after my car accident when i was feeling better, i'd walk up to the trolley line (which was a good eight block walk i'd say, much of that uphill) during the weekday, and i expected it to be more crowded than it was. oftentimes, it'd be empty or there'd be a couple other people staying at the hotel (which was where the stop i'd get on was) who'd want to go somewhere. i was the only memphian in there, save for the conductor.

I always go to the door as the tram pulls away from the stop before mine, simply because I hate being stuck behind people who take forever to get off.

What irritates the daylights out of me are people who don't even make an attempt to move from their seat until the tram is fully stopped and the doors open, even though they've got to get their shit together and push through a crowd to get to the door. You moron. Be ready to disembark when the tram stops. Don't abuse the driver because he closed the doors and pulled out of the stop because you were too slow. Slow loading/disembarking times have knock-on effects that can cause system-wide delays.

I do not know how I used to fly pre-Ipod. I used to schlep 50 CDS on the plane, along with at least one book. The Ipod. :love:
yeah, i remember having to pick some cds along with my cd walkman and get them to fit in my carry-on. it's so much more convenient now with the ipod, especially since sometimes i'd be like "i really wanna listen to..." and realized i didn't pack that cd.

I always go to the door as the tram pulls away from the stop before mine, simply because I hate being stuck behind people who take forever to get off.

What irritates the daylights out of me are people who don't even make an attempt to move from their seat until the tram is fully stopped and the doors open, even though they've got to get their shit together and push through a crowd to get to the door. You moron. Be ready to disembark when the tram stops. Don't abuse the driver because he closed the doors and pulled out of the stop because you were too slow. Slow loading/disembarking times have knock-on effects that can cause system-wide delays.
well boo. i guess i'm in the minority. delaying the lines though isn't really a problem here since it's so infrequently used, plus there's no set schedule like "a trolley will be at stop 4 at 3:17 pm" so sometimes a trolley comes by after you've been standing there for a minute, sometimes you get to the stop just as one pulls away and you have to wait 15-20 minutes for another one...

well that's different, but if there's other people getting on/off at that stop, it just seems silly to practically push past other people like "outta my way!! i wanna get off first!"

or the morons who won't let you get off so they can get on, but that's another story...

Oh yeah, that's stupid. I find at stops where a lot of people get off - my uni, for example, we're slowed down because there are so many people offering other people the chance to go first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom