Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My problem with the 60's is there a lot of classics but not a lot of great albums. I'm an album guy that's how I rank a decade. What is your order?

My problem is that a lot of the well-remembered, popular sixties bands just don't appeal to me. It's not that I have a bias towards recent music, since I grew up on The Shadows and listen to music thanks to them and their biggest hits were 1960-63. And Pink Floyd and King Crimson were putting out really cool shit back then. But I guess it's just harder to find a lot of sixties stuff; 1990s and 2000s music is inherently going to be more common - especially online - due to its recentness. And I imagine a lot of sixties stuff I'd really enjoy hasn't even been re-issued on CD!

What's so bad about the 2000's?

Because Viva La Vida isn't nearly as good as you think it is. :wink:

Honestly, out of the 100-150 albums I've listened to from this decade so far, only about 25 of them I would consider anything special or something that will stick with me for any length of time. Plus, radio has never been worse.

I can't totally knock the eighties. Sure, in worldwide popular culture and a lot of music, it was totally shit.

But it gave us the Dunedin Sound. Shame most people were too busy listening to Air Supply or Poison or whatever.

I'd put the 2000s before the '80s, but that's just me. Tons of amazing pop music and excellent songs, but the stuff right now just resonates with me more. Plus, a lot of material from the '80s comes off extremely dated. I agree with the rest of the order though.

For film:

1. '70s
2. '90s
3. '00s
4. '60s
5. '80s

And that's no knock on the '80s either.

:wave:

Wow, when it comes to film our lists are exactly the same. :up:

I find a lot of 60's albums to be overrated. The Stones and Bob Dylan are the most overrated artists of all time.

Overrated, yes. But that doesn't mean they've never released anything of value. I'm not even that big a fan and realize at least two of Dylan's records are classics (Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited) and the Stones kicked ass until 1979.

I find a lot of 60's albums to be overrated. The Stones and Bob Dylan are the most overrated artists of all time.

Agree to disagree.

Even if you don't like The Stones, "Gimme Shelter" is one of the most brilliant songs of all-time. I will defend this to the death, Kirk vs. Spock-style.

I can understand people disliking Dylan, he's like the Woody Allen of music. Prolific (good debut, then peaked at a certain place, tailed off for a bit, then came back with some great late hits), talented, and they're both white and Jewish, but an acquired taste.

Honestly, out of the 100-150 albums I've listened to from this decade so far, only about 25 of them I would consider anything special or something that will stick with me for any length of time. Plus, radio has never been worse.

Just checking on RYM, 13 of my 41 five star albums are 2000s releases. My average ranking for 2000s albums, 3.32, is actually the worst ranking for any decade (the 1970s is on 3.33), but I have rated far, far more 2000s albums than any other decade - 390 versus just 165 for second place, the 1990s - so I really don't think that comparison is very reliable.

We sort of agree in a strange way. Not a lot of albums really stand out but the ones that do are truly special. I think the top ten albums of this decade could match any other decade except the seventies.

Maybe the rest of this year and all of next year will be fucking mindblowing for music. Doesn't seem like it now, but you never know. :hyper:

Overrated, yes. But that doesn't mean they've never released anything of value. I'm not even that big a fan and realize at least two of Dylan's records are classics (Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited) and the Stones kicked ass until 1979.

I refuse to accept that Dylan is anything more than a great poet. Don't get me wrong about the Stones though. I think 90-95% of their work is terrible but some songs are brilliant. For example, She's A Rainbow, Paint It Black, Sympathy For The Devil, Wild Horses and a few others are great but the rest is sub par.

Agree to disagree.

Even if you don't like The Stones, "Gimme Shelter" is one of the most brilliant songs of all-time. I will defend this to the death, Kirk vs. Spock-style.

I can understand people disliking Dylan, he's like the Woody Allen of music. Prolific (good debut, then peaked at a certain place, tailed off for a bit, then came back with some great late hits), talented, and they're both white and Jewish, but an acquired taste.

I fucking love Gimme Shelter. Grand Funk Railroad, a great American rock band, played that a lot and it rocks no matter who does it.

Not a Woody Allen fan. I do not however think he is a terrible director quite the opposite. I like his style but never been a fan.

I refuse to accept that Dylan is anything more than a great poet. Don't get me wrong about the Stones though. I think 90-95% of their work is terrible but some songs are brilliant. For example, She's A Rainbow, Paint It Black, Sympathy For The Devil, Wild Horses and a few others are great but the rest is sub par.

I can't differentiate the Stones' material enough to love some songs and despise others. :shrug: I just think that at some point their formula ran thin and it showed.

Hey do you know a good website to rank or rate movies sort of like RateYourMusic?

I would probably need help like that to do a top 10 list for each decade but I could do a top 10 of genres off the top of my head.

Flixster. It's kind of the shit.

You rate and write reviews, then can put movies into whatever type of lists you'd like. It's fairly user-friendly, as well.

I fucking love Gimme Shelter. Grand Funk Railroad, a great American rock band, played that a lot and it rocks no matter who does it.

Not a Woody Allen fan. I do not however think he is a terrible director quite the opposite. I like his style but never been a fan.

Understandable.

What don't you like about him?

I'm doing laundry at the moment, including washing/bleaching two white shirts in the sink, and something weird happened. So I had the water in the sink, and I added the bleach. Then I added the detergent (which was blue in colour), and the water turned RED. What the hell. It was quite interesting for a moment, then it cleared up. Chemicals are awesome.

I think Dylan's got a lot of stuff that blends together, but he's got some FANTASTIC tracks in his back catalogue. I'm really digging Tangled Up in Blue as of late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom