Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will only be Neptune's trident if Dalton is enough of a douche to send me a black market trident. Dalton, it's me, you can overspend a bit to get me a legitimate trident, right?

Right?

All the threads around here are dead tonight...

Yeah, it just took me only a couple of minutes to browse the rest of the forum. There's so little happening and so few other threads I'm even interested in.

I must admit, though, I'm amused that WTAHNN has a thread about whether the new album will be Eno/Lanois or Lanois/Eno, and somehow there's actually a difference there.

This may be total blasphemy but if I were to rank the decades of music from the 50's until now it would look something like this:

1. 1970's
2. 1980's
3. 2000's
4. 1990's
5. 1960's
6. 1950's

:reject:

I'm all about music blasphemy.

1. 1990s
2. 2000s
3. 1970s
4. 1980s
5. 1960s

I honestly have barely listened to much 1950s music. Haven't struck much to interest me, and my favourite genres are pretty post-1950s!

And if the pattern of the above rankings keeps up, the 2010s will be the best music decade yet. :wink:

This may be total blasphemy but if I were to rank the decades of music from the 50's until now it would look something like this:

1. 1970's
2. 1980's
3. 2000's
4. 1990's
5. 1960's
6. 1950's

:reject:

That's not an uncommon opinion at all.

Doesn't mean it's not blasphemy though. :wink: 60's in 5th??? :doh:

Whatever decade came up with gangsta rap, is the worst decade in music, oh how I wish that would all just disappear from the world

My problem with the 60's is there a lot of classics but not a lot of great albums. I'm an album guy that's how I rank a decade. What is your order?

Now that's just ridiculous. 1967 alone has as many classic albums as 1978-1982 combined IMO. :hmm:

What did you like about the 90's, Axver?

1999 has got to be one of my favourite years for music ever. PT's Stupid Dream, Anathema's Judgement, Agalloch's Pale Folklore, Opeth's Still Life, etc. Stupid Dream and Judgement are two of my three favourite albums of all time, UF being my #1.

In general, the 1990s are when my favourite subgenres of metal really came into their own and matured, moving beyond juvenile thrash and hair metal into genres of substance, soundscapes, atmosphere, and extremely technical, proficient playing. Progressive rock experienced a resurgence with its third wave, e.g. Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. Post-rock started to take off. Pop-rock recovered from the ravages of the eighties and put out some awesome stuff, and of course, there was the atmospheric-yet-rockin' glory of shoegazer (shame there's nobody continuing where bands like Crowded House and The Verve left off in the mid-1990s).

1. 1970's
2. 1960's
3. 1990's
4. 1980's

590. 2000's

I'd put the 2000s before the '80s, but that's just me. Tons of amazing pop music and excellent songs, but the stuff right now just resonates with me more. Plus, a lot of material from the '80s comes off extremely dated. I agree with the rest of the order though.

For film:

1. '70s
2. '90s
3. '00s
4. '60s
5. '80s

And that's no knock on the '80s either.

:wave:

the 80s was a decade I enjoy looking back on musically but would of hated to live through, being around that type of music every day probably would driven me crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom