Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean a bit of both. I'm a bit bugged by the fact that i've seen Auckland, Wellington and some of Christchurch, as well as a quick walk around Greymouth and a few stops when driving Auckland-Wellington.

I'd love to see more of New Zealand to actually do the place justice.

Trust me when I say any trip planned by me will involve significant time just cruising through the countryside, going to effectively fucking nowhere, just for the pleasure of getting off the beaten track and doing the place justice.

I have these memories of driving around the Wairarapa countryside with my father when I was little. It was semi-aimless adventuring; my father was looking for vineyards (he was then thinking of buying one in the Wairarapa), or studying the geological make-up to see where would be good to establish a new vineyard, or just for the hell of driving around. Some fond memories there of seeing places few people ever see.

Oh, in that case i think she just turned up to say that she got a bit of sleep on her flight, and that some of the people she's travelled with have internet at their homestay but she doesn't.

Ah, right. Damn shame she doesn't have the Internet at her homestay. :(

Trust me when I say any trip planned by me will involve significant time just cruising through the countryside, going to effectively fucking nowhere, just for the pleasure of getting off the beaten track and doing the place justice.

I love aimless travel. It explains how i've seen so much of Christchurch (although we were looking for the Village Green at Hagley Park without intending to wander quite so much).

I was brought up on aimless travel because my mum usually did the driving, and she was quite into going on tiki tours.

I just flipped the TV on to see what time the Euro 2008 football was on this morning (6:35, i don't think i'll be seeing that!) and i see Naomi Campbell was sentenced to 200 hours of community service.

I'm bringing it up because Sky News has full on live coverage from outside the courthouse and it's gigantor motherfucking BREAKING NEWS banner worthy.

I love aimless travel. It explains how i've seen so much of Christchurch (although we were looking for the Village Green at Hagley Park without intending to wander quite so much).

I was brought up on aimless travel because my mum usually did the driving, and she was quite into going on tiki tours.

I'm completely doomed: my entire family could get bloody PhDs in tiki touring, so I pretty much had to enjoy it by default. When I went back to Wellington in April 2006, my Grandad picked me up from the airport and when I suggested that we follow all the bays and go the absolute longest way into central Wellington that we could, he thought it was a brilliant idea. (I don't fucking know how people live in Owhiro Bay, the hills block the sun so much that you need the houselights on from about 2pm!).

And I also have this desire to follow all of the South Island's closed railway lines. I figure it would be a good touring strategy even for a non-railfan crowd, since we'd pass through so many places most people never see but that surely have all kinds of interesting shit.

In Absentia.

AWESOME.

Blackest Eyes in Melbourne was unintentionally awesome. SW's earpiece got stuck in his ear canal, and his timing was completely thrown off for one chorus, so he just tried humming the melody to get his timing back, and it didn't even matter because the audience was belting out the lyrics so fucking loud. The band looked genuinely stunned. I don't think they ever expected the strong reception they got in Australia.

I need to give Murmur and OK Computer another listen today, as well. I want to come up with a full opinion on OK Computer before I say too much on it.

I need to give Murmur and OK Computer another listen today, as well. I want to come up with a full opinion on OK Computer before I say too much on it.

The amount of awesome music you're planning to listen to today could kill a lesser man.

The amount of awesome music you're planning to listen to today could kill a lesser man.

The only awesome I see is In Absentia.

Murmur's nothing compared to Reckoning or Fables, and my opinion on OK Computer goes without saying.

The only awesome I see is In Absentia.

Murmur's nothing compared to Reckoning or Fables, and my opinion on OK Computer goes without saying.

All three are considered classics by basically everyone. Reckoning >>>>>>>>> Murmur? That's just ridiculous. :tsk:

At least you're not slobbering all over Lifes Rich Pageant like everyone else does.

I'm planning on doing all of REM's discography by summer's end, have no fear.

What songs on Murmur stood out to you? LM, thoughts from you as well? I'd like to listen to more than just Radio Free Europe and Sitting Still, but as I said last night, trudging through the entire album to find other songs I like proves too boring to give decent results.

And LM, we were discussing earlier the prospect of making Kunstmuseum t-shirts and need a copy of your epic "U2 was here" sig to use on the front.

All three are considered classics by basically everyone. Reckoning >>>>>>>>> Murmur? That's just ridiculous. :tsk:

The first half of Reckoning absolutely owns. Every time I try to listen through Murmur, I get so bored that I give up.

What songs on Murmur stood out to you? LM, thoughts from you as well? I'd like to listen to more than just Radio Free Europe and Sitting Still, but as I said last night, trudging through the entire album to find other songs I like proves too boring to give decent results.

And LM, we were discussing earlier the prospect of making Kunstmuseum t-shirts and need a copy of your epic "U2 was here" sig to use on the front.

Radio Free Europe, Pilgramage, and 9-9 on first listen. There was no song on the album I disliked on my first listen, though, which surprised me.

What I love so much about Murmur is the atmosphere it creates. I still haven't heard very many records like it. While the standouts aren't numerous, Radio Free Europe is classic early rocking REM (I want U2 to snippet this someday), Pilgrimage is creepy and epic, Talk About The Passion is great, jangly pop, and Perfect Circle is an unusual, lovely ballad.

I :heart: the t-shirt idea.

picturesy3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom