Howlong, New South Wales Superthread - Page 65 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #961
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
It would be more pleasing if you meandered through it, and took your time, but, yes, they're, to me, true alternative music pioneers and their music impacts me in ways few other bands ever can. So, yes, am glad that you're giving them a listen and I hope you like what you hear. Their two albums prior to Accelerate are not all that good, but I like or love everything else.
I didn't literally mean run, as I intend to give all of the albums repeated listens.

The first two albums, though very similar sounding, are of a high quality. I enjoyed them.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:34 PM   #962
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:08 AM
I buy $100 worth of credit and that tends to last me a good few months. I think my last batch took eight or nine months to use. Texts are 25c each, phone calls to other people on the same network are 20c for as long as I like (well, until I run out of minutes, but I have so many fucking minutes that I don't know how I could).

Also, this American idea of being charged to RECEIVE texts is one of the most fucked up things ever and I'm very glad we don't suffer that here. I mean, you don't choose for somebody to contact you; why the fuck should you pay? Especially if it's some twat spamming or stalking you or whatever.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #963
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:38 PM
NSW, since you're an REM fan, do you like Husker Du as well? I know, different sounding bands, but they're probably the most important American alternative artists in the 80s.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #964
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post

Well, it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm not a grammar Nazi, I actually think it's more amusing than anything - the fact that people honestly write like that! Some even write their essays with abbreviations like that. That's fucked up, but it's sort of funny.
It's more sad than funny, if you dwell on it. I'm going to try to not dwell on it, to avoid the sad.

At my job, where we're all presumably educated individuals, the list of grammar, spelling and syntax errors is nothing short of staggering.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #965
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
By my calculations on my phone, 1 is 11 hits of the 1 button and 0 is 12 hits. Question mark is 3 hits, dash is 5 hits. There is no apostrophe.
0 fortunately is just two hits for me. The 0 button is either a space or zero, nothing else. But 1 functions as a million things and it drives me insane, especially if I accidentally overshoot what I want.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #966
Blue Crack Addict

By the way, thanks for the numbers Axxo.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #967
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
NSW, since you're an REM fan, do you like Husker Du as well? I know, different sounding bands, but they're probably the most important American alternative artists in the 80s.
I would say that Husker Du's neighbors, the Replacements, were as important as either, if not more so....but, yes, I do like Husker Du, but for whatever reason, do not listen to them as often as REM or the Replacements. Perhaps that needs to be rectified?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #968
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 08:08 AM
Quote:

Well, it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm not a grammar Nazi, I actually think it's more amusing than anything - the fact that people honestly write like that! Some even write their essays with abbreviations like that. That's fucked up, but it's sort of funny.

i know what you mean. i do have a friend who abbreviates stuff like ur for your, and sometimes it can be hard for me to bite my tongue. i can't help it. i just hope these people don't write like that in real life. i've heard of essays being full of internet speak, but i've never seen one. and i have a friend i know in real life who writes and talks normally, but the suddenly when we chat via work im, suddenly everything is all abbreviated.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #969
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
It's more sad than funny, if you dwell on it. I'm going to try to not dwell on it, to avoid the sad.

At my job, where we're all presumably educated individuals, the list of grammar, spelling and syntax errors is nothing short of staggering.
Yeah, of course I think it's better not to think about it too much.

I don't know what the average age level is at your job, but consider the one I'm at - I'm not fussed if other 19 year olds write in text speak. It's sort of culture now. I am, however, more concerned if full grown adults do. And I know a lot that do. That is incredibly sad.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #970
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I buy $100 worth of credit and that tends to last me a good few months. I think my last batch took eight or nine months to use. Texts are 25c each, phone calls to other people on the same network are 20c for as long as I like (well, until I run out of minutes, but I have so many fucking minutes that I don't know how I could).

Also, this American idea of being charged to RECEIVE texts is one of the most fucked up things ever and I'm very glad we don't suffer that here. I mean, you don't choose for somebody to contact you; why the fuck should you pay? Especially if it's some twat spamming or stalking you or whatever.
You only get charged if you read it. They waive the charge if you delete it before opening it.

Does it make sense? No.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #971
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post

jesus. i won't tell you how often i run through $100 of credits - well, according to my bill, at least. in actuality, i have hundreds of minutes each month i don't use. but it's all those extras that kill you.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #972
Vocal parasite

So, I'm listening to Ride's Nowhere album. Every time I get to Vapour Trail, it's like hearing it again for the first time. What an awesome, awesome song.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #973
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:

I don't know what the average age level is at your job, but consider the one I'm at - I'm not fussed if other 19 year olds write in text speak. It's sort of culture now. I am, however, more concerned if full grown adults do. And I know a lot that do. That is incredibly sad.
god, that reminds me of this 35 year old at my work who does not get the difference between do and does. and this person also says "i'm not to (yes, to) for sure"

huh?
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #974
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
You only get charged if you read it. They waive the charge if you delete it before opening it.

Does it make sense? No.
I'd just delete every text then and tell people to call me!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #975
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Well, we have a ton of kids in their early 20's, and they type in text speak, which is not surprising. The adults, they do not type in text speak, they just butcher the language up. There are of course those that know how to spell, but it's alarming how even reasonably intelligent folk are lacking in spelling and grammar skills. That's what you get when your culture grows more and more adept at reading e-mails on a blackberry but won't read a book if you put a fucking gun to their head. Bitter? Me? Naw.....

Tags
superthread