Howlong, New South Wales Superthread - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #886
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Why don't you rate it? There are so many solid songs in it - Pilgrimage, Catapult, Perfect Circle, Laughing, RFE - great album.

I have no interest in their post-Automatic work, to be honest. Actually, I sort of like What's the Frequency Kenneth?, but I'm not mad for it. There's probably some decent work there, but they don't appeal to me as much anymore.
I find it pretty dull when taken as a whole. Radio Free Europe and Sitting Still are great songs, and thanks to LM and PFan pointing out some other tracks last night, I think I'd rate Pilgrimage and Catapult too, but something like Perfect Circle neatly illustrates why I think the album drags and is a bit tedious. Also, I noticed from playing the album through last night that I didn't enjoy Sitting Still nearly as much after trudging through the previous tracks than I do when I play it in isolation.

What's The Frequency is one of my very favourite REM songs, even if the rest of Monster is complete crap. I haven't properly looked into any other post-Automatic albums to have an opinion. I only know a couple of tracks here and there.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #887
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Just occurred to me that I may as well have said "There are so many solid songs in it - One, Ultraviolet, So Cruel, WGRYWH, TTTYAATW" of Achtung Baby to you. You know, different strokes and such.

(Though my opinion would be similar to yours of AB).

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #888
Vocal parasite

Quote:
... it's not?
It seems all everyone can do is wank over Closer. I think Unknown Pleasures is far and away the better album. Good god, Disorder, New Dawn Fades, She's Lost Control - that's some incredible music there.

Nowadays, I really only listen to Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours from Closer, while I'll play almost all of Unknown Pleasures. I've never enjoyed I Remember Nothing.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #889
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Wouldn't One have been better off as a one off single for U2? I mean, it really wouldn't have fit on Achtung Baby very well, no matter what way you tried to put it on there. I could try getting creative, but it's been difficult to crack.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #890
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:13 AM
oooooooooops
Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #891
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
It seems all everyone can do is wank over Closer. I think Unknown Pleasures is far and away the better album. Good god, Disorder, New Dawn Fades, She's Lost Control - that's some incredible music there.

Nowadays, I really only listen to Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours from Closer, while I'll play almost all of Unknown Pleasures. I've never enjoyed I Remember Nothing.
If you don't rate The Eternal and Decades, you're doing it wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both nearly perfect albums. And I see as much wanking for UP as there is for Closer - I think it's just that casual praise for Closer is amplified because of Curtis' suicide soon after it was made.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #892
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Wouldn't One have been better off as a one off single for U2? I mean, it really wouldn't have fit on Achtung Baby very well, no matter what way you tried to put it on there. I could try getting creative, but it's been difficult to crack.
What I think should have happened with One is that U2 never should have never bothered with One and they should have broken up because they realised they were writing a song as fucking stupid as One.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #893
Vocal parasite

Quote:
It would've been better off as a quickly forgotten b-side as in my revisionist history.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #894
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:13 AM
I've no issue with One. It's not the best song on Achtung Baby, let alone by U2 or ever, but it's not a bad track. It's certainly popular for a reason: it resonates with a lot of people.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #895
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
On a somewhat different note, I've been listening to Joy Division over the last hour, and I really don't get why Unknown Pleasures isn't rated as much as Closer. New Dawn Fades is one of the most stunningly powerful songs anybody's ever recorded. Absolute classic and intense stuff.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #896
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think One fits, just not precisely where it's at. It's gonna be the closer for the Achtung Baby musical I'm writing. Love is Blindness is gonna be put in the track three slot in it's place. Also, TTTYAATW is going to be replaced by The Wanderer (similar theme, better execution)

Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #897
Blue Crack Addict

Actually, I'm glad One exists. Because if it didn't, Axl Rose would have never heard it, which would mean we wouldn't have the fantastic image in our heads of Axl Rose crying while listening to it.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 AM   #898
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud13 View Post
the Achtung Baby musical I'm writing.
Please, do go on.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #899
Vocal parasite

Quote:
If you don't rate The Eternal and Decades, you're doing it wrong.

As far as I'm concerned, they're both nearly perfect albums. And I see as much wanking for UP as there is for Closer - I think it's just that casual praise for Closer is amplified because of Curtis' suicide soon after it was made.
I normally skip straight from TFH to Disorder (as UP follows Closer in iTunes).

Relative play counts:
TFH: 42
The Eternal: 4
Decades: 3
Disorder: 46

Most of the JD discussion I've encountered seems to have largely discounted UP as some kind of build-up to Closer that doesn't quite achieve emotional resonance. I've always found UP to be more powerful. The "'til the spirit, new sensation takes hold, then you know" part of Disorder always affects me, and I've already mentioned New Dawn Fades.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #900
Vocal parasite

Quote:
What I think should have happened with One is that U2 never should have never bothered with One and they should have broken up because they realised they were writing a song as fucking stupid as One.

Can I marry this post?

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread