Howlong, New South Wales Superthread - Page 49 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #721
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
I'd say why would i be going to those places?

But seriously, :fuckyeah:
I knew you'd say that. I was tempted to include "Huntly in 40 minutes" just to see your response.

The Hamilton one in particular is not only very doable, but should have been done in the 1990s rather than having Tranz Rail rape the network. Whangarei would require shitloads of investment in a whole new line via the North Shore, rejoining the existing route around Warkworth, but it would be worth it. It's nothing short of absurd that there are nine flights a day between Whangarei and Auckland! Probably by the time you've got from Auckland Airport to the centre of the city, the train from Whangarei has not only arrived in Auckland, but made it back to Whangarei!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #722
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Ax, i'm presuming there is a follow up to that question?

Edit: Shit, i knew that would happen

Old 06-21-2008, 07:11 AM   #723
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Ax, i'm presuming there is a follow up to that question?

Edit: Shit, i knew that would happen

It's like asking "dead thread?". In the time it takes you to refresh, see nobody's posted for an hour, and type two words, some bastard posts.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #724
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:18 PM
Oh yes Ax, the Tiges won - against Port no less! And at West Lakes!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #725
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I knew you'd say that. I was tempted to include "Huntly in 40 minutes" just to see your response.

The Hamilton one in particular is not only very doable, but should have been done in the 1990s rather than having Tranz Rail rape the network. Whangarei would require shitloads of investment in a whole new line via the North Shore, rejoining the existing route around Warkworth, but it would be worth it. It's nothing short of absurd that there are nine flights a day between Whangarei and Auckland! Probably by the time you've got from Auckland Airport to the centre of the city, the train from Whangarei has not only arrived in Auckland, but made it back to Whangarei!
I'm a predictable bastard.

I had a field trip to Britomart not long after it opened, they've engineered it so that it's relatively easy to start new tunnels at the other end.

Otherwise, i like the idea. My perfect world would have trains running with airline codeshares, so you could sell, for example

Air France 123 London - LAX
Air NZ Flight 456 LAX - Auckland
Air NZ 6696/Ax Railines 0998 Auckland - Whangarei on a train.

They already have airline flight numbers on rail routes in Europe.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #726
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

It's like asking "dead thread?". In the time it takes you to refresh, see nobody's posted for an hour, and type two words, some bastard posts.
Always happens to me. Sometimes you can edit it out so you don't look like a total twat though.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 AM   #727
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Oh yes Ax, the Tiges won - against Port no less! And at West Lakes!
Haha, awesome. Nice to know the team I'm nominally supporting aren't complete failures!

Was it a big win?

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:22 AM   #728
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I'm a predictable bastard.

I had a field trip to Britomart not long after it opened, they've engineered it so that it's relatively easy to start new tunnels at the other end.

Otherwise, i like the idea. My perfect world would have trains running with airline codeshares, so you could sell, for example

Air France 123 London - LAX
Air NZ Flight 456 LAX - Auckland
Air NZ 6696/Ax Railines 0998 Auckland - Whangarei on a train.

They already have airline flight numbers on rail routes in Europe.
I look forward to the construction of tunnels out the other end of Britomart, I believe it'll join the Western line around about Avonside. But that would mainly only be of use to Helensville/Waitakere/Swanson passengers. It's no good for Whangarei, since the convoluted route via Helensville just kills it in comparison to the direct road route across the Harbour. The North Shore urgently needs a commuter rail link anyway, so a new line would be good for everyone: commuters from the North Shore get heavy rail; once the Marsden Point port comes online, freight will efficiently get to Auckland; and it makes passenger rail to Whangarei viable.

And yes, I very much like the idea of codeshares. My proposal for Tauranga and Rotorua trains is to route them via Auckland Airport. Even have baggage transfers and everything. If you live in Tauranga and are flying to London, you check in at Tauranga railway station 10 minutes before the train departs. When you hop off the train at Auckland Airport two hours later, you don't even have to worry about your luggage; you just cruise through to your gate.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:26 AM   #729
Blue Crack Supplier

We can fix the country, but we're wasting our time on the interwebs.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 AM   #730
Blue Crack Supplier

Does anyone have an insane amount of money so i can start my airline?

It'll be good. You know it will.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:31 AM   #731
Vocal parasite

Quote:
We can fix the country, but we're wasting our time on the interwebs.

I'm using these intartubes to put forth my idea in the first place and see what response it receives. Once it's up on LJ, I might throw the link over to some NZ railway discussion groups just to see what the thoughts are.

My suggestions are fairly bold, but I am keeping them workable. Nothing ridiculous like "let's build a brand new line from Whakatane to Gisborne even though no freight or passenger traffic exists there just to keep a bunch of train foamers happy!" All that's needed to implement them is a government willing to sustain some debt, and a politician with the vision of Julius Vogel to force it through parliament.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:38 AM   #732
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm using these intartubes to put forth my idea in the first place and see what response it receives. Once it's up on LJ, I might throw the link over to some NZ railway discussion groups just to see what the thoughts are.

My suggestions are fairly bold, but I am keeping them workable. Nothing ridiculous like "let's build a brand new line from Whakatane to Gisborne even though no freight or passenger traffic exists there just to keep a bunch of train foamers happy!" All that's needed to implement them is a government willing to sustain some debt, and a politician with the vision of Julius Vogel to force it through parliament.
I look forward to seeing it in full.

Since i'm a sad bastard i'll probably end up writing out a set of goal and intended routes for Ian Airlines. Might as well use my LJ for something.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #733
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Oh fuck.

You might recall me talking about a creepy guy who used to hang around us at school. He just added me as a friend on Facebook.

I knew social networking would be my downfall!
Still don't know what to do about this. I'll probably end up adding him because of my activeness on Facebook.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #734
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I look forward to seeing it in full.

Since i'm a sad bastard i'll probably end up writing out a set of goal and intended routes for Ian Airlines. Might as well use my LJ for something.
This stuff has become so surprisingly long that I'm looking at having to do it in three parts: upper North Island, lower North Island, and South Island. I'm quite surprised, really. I don't even feel like I'm being overly wordy!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 AM   #735
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Still don't know what to do about this. I'll probably end up adding him because of my activeness on Facebook.
I'd ignore him. But I'm a bastard.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread