Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be more pleasing if you meandered through it, and took your time, but, yes, they're, to me, true alternative music pioneers and their music impacts me in ways few other bands ever can. So, yes, am glad that you're giving them a listen and I hope you like what you hear. Their two albums prior to Accelerate are not all that good, but I like or love everything else.

I didn't literally mean run, as I intend to give all of the albums repeated listens.

The first two albums, though very similar sounding, are of a high quality. I enjoyed them.

I buy $100 worth of credit and that tends to last me a good few months. I think my last batch took eight or nine months to use. Texts are 25c each, phone calls to other people on the same network are 20c for as long as I like (well, until I run out of minutes, but I have so many fucking minutes that I don't know how I could).

Also, this American idea of being charged to RECEIVE texts is one of the most fucked up things ever and I'm very glad we don't suffer that here. I mean, you don't choose for somebody to contact you; why the fuck should you pay? Especially if it's some twat spamming or stalking you or whatever.

NSW, since you're an REM fan, do you like Husker Du as well? I know, different sounding bands, but they're probably the most important American alternative artists in the 80s.

:hug:

Well, it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm not a grammar Nazi, I actually think it's more amusing than anything - the fact that people honestly write like that! Some even write their essays with abbreviations like that. That's fucked up, but it's sort of funny.

It's more sad than funny, if you dwell on it. I'm going to try to not dwell on it, to avoid the sad.

At my job, where we're all presumably educated individuals, the list of grammar, spelling and syntax errors is nothing short of staggering.

By my calculations on my phone, 1 is 11 hits of the 1 button and 0 is 12 hits. Question mark is 3 hits, dash is 5 hits. There is no apostrophe.

0 fortunately is just two hits for me. The 0 button is either a space or zero, nothing else. But 1 functions as a million things and it drives me insane, especially if I accidentally overshoot what I want.

NSW, since you're an REM fan, do you like Husker Du as well? I know, different sounding bands, but they're probably the most important American alternative artists in the 80s.

I would say that Husker Du's neighbors, the Replacements, were as important as either, if not more so....but, yes, I do like Husker Du, but for whatever reason, do not listen to them as often as REM or the Replacements. Perhaps that needs to be rectified?

Well, it doesn't really bother me that much. I'm not a grammar Nazi, I actually think it's more amusing than anything - the fact that people honestly write like that! Some even write their essays with abbreviations like that. That's fucked up, but it's sort of funny.

i know what you mean. i do have a friend who abbreviates stuff like ur for your, and sometimes it can be hard for me to bite my tongue. i can't help it. i just hope these people don't write like that in real life. i've heard of essays being full of internet speak, but i've never seen one. and i have a friend i know in real life who writes and talks normally, but the suddenly when we chat via work im, suddenly everything is all abbreviated.

It's more sad than funny, if you dwell on it. I'm going to try to not dwell on it, to avoid the sad.

At my job, where we're all presumably educated individuals, the list of grammar, spelling and syntax errors is nothing short of staggering.

Yeah, of course I think it's better not to think about it too much.

I don't know what the average age level is at your job, but consider the one I'm at - I'm not fussed if other 19 year olds write in text speak. It's sort of culture now. I am, however, more concerned if full grown adults do. And I know a lot that do. That is incredibly sad.

I buy $100 worth of credit and that tends to last me a good few months. I think my last batch took eight or nine months to use. Texts are 25c each, phone calls to other people on the same network are 20c for as long as I like (well, until I run out of minutes, but I have so many fucking minutes that I don't know how I could).

Also, this American idea of being charged to RECEIVE texts is one of the most fucked up things ever and I'm very glad we don't suffer that here. I mean, you don't choose for somebody to contact you; why the fuck should you pay? Especially if it's some twat spamming or stalking you or whatever.

You only get charged if you read it. They waive the charge if you delete it before opening it.

Does it make sense? No.

jesus. i won't tell you how often i run through $100 of credits - well, according to my bill, at least. in actuality, i have hundreds of minutes each month i don't use. but it's all those extras that kill you.

So, I'm listening to Ride's Nowhere album. Every time I get to Vapour Trail, it's like hearing it again for the first time. What an awesome, awesome song. :drool:

I don't know what the average age level is at your job, but consider the one I'm at - I'm not fussed if other 19 year olds write in text speak. It's sort of culture now. I am, however, more concerned if full grown adults do. And I know a lot that do. That is incredibly sad.
god, that reminds me of this 35 year old at my work who does not get the difference between do and does. and this person also says "i'm not to (yes, to) for sure"

huh?

Well, we have a ton of kids in their early 20's, and they type in text speak, which is not surprising. The adults, they do not type in text speak, they just butcher the language up. There are of course those that know how to spell, but it's alarming how even reasonably intelligent folk are lacking in spelling and grammar skills. That's what you get when your culture grows more and more adept at reading e-mails on a blackberry but won't read a book if you put a fucking gun to their head. Bitter? Me? Naw.....:)

I love full grown adults who don't get abbreviations. Like my mother, who uses "lol" for "lots of love". I haven't had the heart to break it to her that it means "laugh out loud", and she probably only uses it in texts to me anyway.

Well, we have a ton of kids in their early 20's, and they type in text speak, which is not surprising. The adults, they do not type in text speak, they just butcher the language up. There are of course those that know how to spell, but it's alarming how even reasonably intelligent folk are lacking in spelling and grammar skills. That's what you get when your culture grows more and more adept at reading e-mails on a blackberry but won't read a book if you put a fucking gun to their head. Bitter? Me? Naw.....:)
what the fuck. i check emails on my blackberry (cuz i'm sooooooo important) all the time and if i were to reply to one, the only way you'd know it was on my blackberry versus me sitting at a computer is that dumb signature they tack on at the end "sent using my blackberry blah blah i'm so cool"

So, nearly new thread time. Khan, I don't suppose you could let me know what unused threads we have lying around? I know there's Penistone ...

I would say that Husker Du's neighbors, the Replacements, were as important as either, if not more so....but, yes, I do like Husker Du, but for whatever reason, do not listen to them as often as REM or the Replacements. Perhaps that needs to be rectified?

Well yeah, I think the Replacements go without saying. :) But Husker Du, they are my all time favourite band, so I brought them up on the odd chance you may have liked them when they were around, maybe seen some shows or something.

And from that, I would of course say that you need to listen to them more.

I love full grown adults who don't get abbreviations. Like my mother, who uses "lol" for "lots of love". I haven't had the heart to break it to her that it means "laugh out loud", and she probably only uses it in texts to me anyway.

At least she doesn't use it for "love our lord".

what the fuck. i check emails on my blackberry (cuz i'm sooooooo important) all the time and if i were to reply to one, the only way you'd know it was on my blackberry versus me sitting at a computer is that dumb signature they tack on at the end "sent using my blackberry blah blah i'm so cool"

You're an exception. I refuse to get a blackberry; I'm the only exec at my company devoid of one. I have a deal with my boss: the day I do not reply to an e-mail in prompt fashion, I'll go and order one. Otherwise, fuck that. I'm as loyal as can be and I work my ass off for them, but I do not want that tether.

I'm so out of touch that when people talk about Blackberries, I instantly think of the berries that make awesome jam, and I honestly couldn't tell you what the technological device looks like.

But this might have something to do with the fact that I neither desire nor can afford every new technological accessory.

ugh, i can't wait until search is done. all i get via search is penistone.

anyway...
- penistone (duh)
- wittenoom (is this a duplicate? i could've sworn we already did that and i know at some point two of us made the same thread/city at once)

surprisingly, that's all i see. i could've sworn there was another one but i guess it's been used.

Well yeah, I think the Replacements go without saying. :) But Husker Du, they are my all time favourite band, so I brought them up on the odd chance you may have liked them when they were around, maybe seen some shows or something.

And from that, I would of course say that you need to listen to them more.

I never did get to see them Live, no. :( The Replacements do go with out saying, but they're so good that you have to mention them anyway. :)

Bonnie, color me inspired, in the next week or so I shall be doing some Husker Du listening.

ugh, i can't wait until search is done. all i get via search is penistone.

anyway...
- penistone (duh)
- wittenoom (is this a duplicate? i could've sworn we already did that and i know at some point two of us made the same thread/city at once)

surprisingly, that's all i see. i could've sworn there was another one but i guess it's been used.

Yeah, we've done Wittenoom aaaaages ago.

So I guess we'll move onto Penistone, the little thread that Bonnie killed.

You're an exception. I refuse to get a blackberry; I'm the only exec at my company devoid of one. I have a deal with my boss: the day I do not reply to an e-mail in prompt fashion, I'll go and order one. Otherwise, fuck that. I'm as loyal as can be and I work my ass off for them, but I do not want that tether.
i don't blame you at all. and i definitely do not doubt about your loyalty and ass-working. i assume you can check work emails from your home computer? (i can, and i feel like a loser whenever i do but on my days off i've got to clean out my inbox otherwise i'll come back to 200+ unread emails)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom