Howlong, New South Wales Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:yes: and classes are definitely repetitive.

I'm sick of lazy and unimaginative academics who just structure their classes like every other bloody class on earth. I've had a couple who've intentionally presented unconventional assessments and it's always given me more of a challenge. I've appreciated that.

1. So. Central Rain
2. Harborcoat
3. 7 Chinese Bros.

But like the first album, they're all close.

Ah yes, right.

Murmur is my favourite REM album, but yeah, Reckoning is quality. Though I know bugger all about what they've done since Automatic For the People.

I'm going in order right now.

My four favorite tracks off Murmur are Radio Free Europe, Pilgramage, Sitting Still, and 9-9.

Ah yes, right.

Murmur is my favourite REM album, but yeah, Reckoning is quality. Though I know bugger all about what they've done since Automatic For the People.

I really am the only person on earth who doesn't rate Murmur, aren't I?

And I really need to listen to more of their post-Automatic stuff.

I really am the only person on earth who doesn't rate Murmur, aren't I?

And I really need to listen to more of their post-Automatic stuff.

Why don't you rate it? There are so many solid songs in it - Pilgrimage, Catapult, Perfect Circle, Laughing, RFE - great album.

I have no interest in their post-Automatic work, to be honest. Actually, I sort of like What's the Frequency Kenneth?, but I'm not mad for it. There's probably some decent work there, but they don't appeal to me as much anymore.

Pretty Persuasion really has some rocking guitar parts.

So. Central Rain/Pretty Persuasion/Time After Time is my favourite part of Reckoning.

On a somewhat different note, I've been listening to Joy Division over the last hour, and I really don't get why Unknown Pleasures isn't rated as much as Closer. New Dawn Fades is one of the most stunningly powerful songs anybody's ever recorded. Absolute classic and intense stuff.

Why don't you rate it? There are so many solid songs in it - Pilgrimage, Catapult, Perfect Circle, Laughing, RFE - great album.

Just occurred to me that I may as well have said "There are so many solid songs in it - One, Ultraviolet, So Cruel, WGRYWH, TTTYAATW" of Achtung Baby to you. You know, different strokes and such.

(Though my opinion would be similar to yours of AB).

I have no interest in their post-Automatic work, to be honest. Actually, I sort of like What's the Frequency Kenneth?, but I'm not mad for it. There's probably some decent work there, but they don't appeal to me as much anymore.

I find it pretty dull when taken as a whole. Radio Free Europe and Sitting Still are great songs, and thanks to LM and PFan pointing out some other tracks last night, I think I'd rate Pilgrimage and Catapult too, but something like Perfect Circle neatly illustrates why I think the album drags and is a bit tedious. Also, I noticed from playing the album through last night that I didn't enjoy Sitting Still nearly as much after trudging through the previous tracks than I do when I play it in isolation.

What's The Frequency is one of my very favourite REM songs, even if the rest of Monster is complete crap. I haven't properly looked into any other post-Automatic albums to have an opinion. I only know a couple of tracks here and there.

Just occurred to me that I may as well have said "There are so many solid songs in it - One, Ultraviolet, So Cruel, WGRYWH, TTTYAATW" of Achtung Baby to you. You know, different strokes and such.

(Though my opinion would be similar to yours of AB).

:lmao: :lmao:

... it's not?

It seems all everyone can do is wank over Closer. I think Unknown Pleasures is far and away the better album. Good god, Disorder, New Dawn Fades, She's Lost Control - that's some incredible music there.

Nowadays, I really only listen to Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours from Closer, while I'll play almost all of Unknown Pleasures. I've never enjoyed I Remember Nothing.

Wouldn't One have been better off as a one off single for U2? I mean, it really wouldn't have fit on Achtung Baby very well, no matter what way you tried to put it on there. I could try getting creative, but it's been difficult to crack.

It seems all everyone can do is wank over Closer. I think Unknown Pleasures is far and away the better album. Good god, Disorder, New Dawn Fades, She's Lost Control - that's some incredible music there.

Nowadays, I really only listen to Atrocity Exhibition and Twenty Four Hours from Closer, while I'll play almost all of Unknown Pleasures. I've never enjoyed I Remember Nothing.

If you don't rate The Eternal and Decades, you're doing it wrong. :wink:

As far as I'm concerned, they're both nearly perfect albums. And I see as much wanking for UP as there is for Closer - I think it's just that casual praise for Closer is amplified because of Curtis' suicide soon after it was made.

Wouldn't One have been better off as a one off single for U2? I mean, it really wouldn't have fit on Achtung Baby very well, no matter what way you tried to put it on there. I could try getting creative, but it's been difficult to crack.

What I think should have happened with One is that U2 never should have never bothered with One and they should have broken up because they realised they were writing a song as fucking stupid as One.

:mad::mad::mad::larry:

It would've been better off as a quickly forgotten b-side as in my revisionist history. :wink:

I've no issue with One. It's not the best song on Achtung Baby, let alone by U2 or ever, but it's not a bad track. It's certainly popular for a reason: it resonates with a lot of people.

I think One fits, just not precisely where it's at. It's gonna be the closer for the Achtung Baby musical I'm writing. Love is Blindness is gonna be put in the track three slot in it's place. Also, TTTYAATW is going to be replaced by The Wanderer (similar theme, better execution)

:nerd:

Actually, I'm glad One exists. Because if it didn't, Axl Rose would have never heard it, which would mean we wouldn't have the fantastic image in our heads of Axl Rose crying while listening to it.

If you don't rate The Eternal and Decades, you're doing it wrong. :wink:

As far as I'm concerned, they're both nearly perfect albums. And I see as much wanking for UP as there is for Closer - I think it's just that casual praise for Closer is amplified because of Curtis' suicide soon after it was made.

I normally skip straight from TFH to Disorder (as UP follows Closer in iTunes). :wink:

Relative play counts:
TFH: 42
The Eternal: 4
Decades: 3
Disorder: 46

Most of the JD discussion I've encountered seems to have largely discounted UP as some kind of build-up to Closer that doesn't quite achieve emotional resonance. I've always found UP to be more powerful. The "'til the spirit, new sensation takes hold, then you know" part of Disorder always affects me, and I've already mentioned New Dawn Fades.

What I think should have happened with One is that U2 never should have never bothered with One and they should have broken up because they realised they were writing a song as fucking stupid as One.

:mad::mad::mad::larry:

Can I marry this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom