Howlong, New South Wales Superthread - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 10:37 PM   #271
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishteen View Post
Except those who make money from it
They waste it on bling.

Long term fiduciary planning? I think not!

Old 06-20-2008, 10:38 PM   #272
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
My problem with the 60's is there a lot of classics but not a lot of great albums. I'm an album guy that's how I rank a decade. What is your order?
My problem is that a lot of the well-remembered, popular sixties bands just don't appeal to me. It's not that I have a bias towards recent music, since I grew up on The Shadows and listen to music thanks to them and their biggest hits were 1960-63. And Pink Floyd and King Crimson were putting out really cool shit back then. But I guess it's just harder to find a lot of sixties stuff; 1990s and 2000s music is inherently going to be more common - especially online - due to its recentness. And I imagine a lot of sixties stuff I'd really enjoy hasn't even been re-issued on CD!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #273
The Male

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
What's so bad about the 2000's?
Because Viva La Vida isn't nearly as good as you think it is.

Honestly, out of the 100-150 albums I've listened to from this decade so far, only about 25 of them I would consider anything special or something that will stick with me for any length of time. Plus, radio has never been worse.

Now.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 06:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Now that's just ridiculous. 1967 alone has as many classic albums as 1978-1982 combined IMO.
I find a lot of 60's albums to be overrated. The Stones and Bob Dylan are the most overrated artists of all time.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:40 PM   #275
Vocal parasite

I can't totally knock the eighties. Sure, in worldwide popular culture and a lot of music, it was totally shit.

But it gave us the Dunedin Sound. Shame most people were too busy listening to Air Supply or Poison or whatever.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I'd put the 2000s before the '80s, but that's just me. Tons of amazing pop music and excellent songs, but the stuff right now just resonates with me more. Plus, a lot of material from the '80s comes off extremely dated. I agree with the rest of the order though.

For film:

1. '70s
2. '90s
3. '00s
4. '60s
5. '80s

And that's no knock on the '80s either.

Wow, when it comes to film our lists are exactly the same.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #277
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:18 PM
On the topic of music

This is the product of me and a friend being bored during a rainy day

YouTube - The Unicorn Song (More Than Horses With Horns)

We're strange people
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #278
The Male

Quote:
I find a lot of 60's albums to be overrated. The Stones and Bob Dylan are the most overrated artists of all time.
Overrated, yes. But that doesn't mean they've never released anything of value. I'm not even that big a fan and realize at least two of Dylan's records are classics (Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited) and the Stones kicked ass until 1979.

Now.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #279
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Agree to disagree.

Even if you don't like The Stones, "Gimme Shelter" is one of the most brilliant songs of all-time. I will defend this to the death, Kirk vs. Spock-style.

I can understand people disliking Dylan, he's like the Woody Allen of music. Prolific (good debut, then peaked at a certain place, tailed off for a bit, then came back with some great late hits), talented, and they're both white and Jewish, but an acquired taste.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #280
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Honestly, out of the 100-150 albums I've listened to from this decade so far, only about 25 of them I would consider anything special or something that will stick with me for any length of time. Plus, radio has never been worse.
Just checking on RYM, 13 of my 41 five star albums are 2000s releases. My average ranking for 2000s albums, 3.32, is actually the worst ranking for any decade (the 1970s is on 3.33), but I have rated far, far more 2000s albums than any other decade - 390 versus just 165 for second place, the 1990s - so I really don't think that comparison is very reliable.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-20-2008, 10:44 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

We sort of agree in a strange way. Not a lot of albums really stand out but the ones that do are truly special. I think the top ten albums of this decade could match any other decade except the seventies.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #282
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:18 AM
Quote:
Wow, when it comes to film our lists are exactly the same.
That's cool, wanna do a Top 10 of each decade right now?
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #283
The Male

Maybe the rest of this year and all of next year will be fucking mindblowing for music. Doesn't seem like it now, but you never know.

Now.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:47 PM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Overrated, yes. But that doesn't mean they've never released anything of value. I'm not even that big a fan and realize at least two of Dylan's records are classics (Blood On The Tracks, Highway 61 Revisited) and the Stones kicked ass until 1979.
I refuse to accept that Dylan is anything more than a great poet. Don't get me wrong about the Stones though. I think 90-95% of their work is terrible but some songs are brilliant. For example, She's A Rainbow, Paint It Black, Sympathy For The Devil, Wild Horses and a few others are great but the rest is sub par.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Agree to disagree.

Even if you don't like The Stones, "Gimme Shelter" is one of the most brilliant songs of all-time. I will defend this to the death, Kirk vs. Spock-style.

I can understand people disliking Dylan, he's like the Woody Allen of music. Prolific (good debut, then peaked at a certain place, tailed off for a bit, then came back with some great late hits), talented, and they're both white and Jewish, but an acquired taste.
I fucking love Gimme Shelter. Grand Funk Railroad, a great American rock band, played that a lot and it rocks no matter who does it.

Not a Woody Allen fan. I do not however think he is a terrible director quite the opposite. I like his style but never been a fan.

Tags
superthread