Howlong, New South Wales Superthread - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 12:22 PM   #181
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Radio Free Europe, Pilgramage, and 9-9 on first listen. There was no song on the album I disliked on my first listen, though, which surprised me.
The only problem I have with Murmur is the sound quality. The disc that I have (admittedly its very old) needs to be cranked in order to appreciate the songs.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:23 PM   #182
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
That would be awesome.
I loved how you pointed out GAF's less-than-intelligent comment in the baseball thread.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #183
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Radio Free Europe, Pilgramage, and 9-9 on first listen. There was no song on the album I disliked on my first listen, though, which surprised me.
Righto, I'll give them a play. I didn't even notice Sitting Still until somebody else pointed it out to me, because I was so bored the first couple of times I played the album that I completely failed to notice its goodness.

I feel like it's an album I could actually like a fair bit, I just haven't given it time.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-20-2008, 12:24 PM   #184
Blue Crack Addict

That kid makes me laugh, but that was a Bill Walton comment if I've ever seen one.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #185
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
What I love so much about Murmur is the atmosphere it creates. I still haven't heard very many records like it. While the standouts aren't numerous, Radio Free Europe is classic early rocking REM (I want U2 to snippet this someday), Pilgrimage is creepy and epic, Talk About The Passion is great, jangly pop, and Perfect Circle is an unusual, lovely ballad.
I think my impression from the first couple of listens - which I emphasise were a couple of years ago now - were that all the songs really blurred together into a fairly wishywashy, insubstantial atmosphere. But when I play something like Radio Free Europe in isolation, I really enjoy it. I'm liking Pilgrimage right now. Moving onto Talk About The Passion. Jangly pop tends to go down well with me, so let's see how this works out.

Quote:
I the t-shirt idea.

Thanks.

Can't wait to wear a Kunstmuseum shirt to a U2 gig.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #186
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
That kid makes me laugh, but that was a Bill Walton comment if I've ever seen one.
That's like saying, "If we get our musical abilities and songwriting abilities working together at the same time, we could really make a great album."
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #187
Blue Crack Addict

Speaking of musical abilities, is your youtube clip up yet?
Old 06-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #188
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I think my impression from the first couple of listens - which I emphasise were a couple of years ago now - were that all the songs really blurred together into a fairly wishywashy, insubstantial atmosphere. But when I play something like Radio Free Europe in isolation, I really enjoy it. I'm liking Pilgrimage right now. Moving onto Talk About The Passion. Jangly pop tends to go down well with me, so let's see how this works out.
There's a consistent style of sound for this album, certainly. Part of the reason why tracks didn't stick out to me quite as much as they normally do. However, I really haven't found a low point, and I'm on my second listen now.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #189
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Speaking of musical abilities, is your youtube clip up yet?
Not yet.

There will be a few clips of me: we had a soundcheck before the show while most of the people attending for swimming, and you can see me playing Can't Stop, Ziggy Stardust, and Pride in those clips.

Then, there's the show, where I play a shaky cover of John Frusciante's The Past Recedes, and a surprisingly successful version of Wish You Were Here.

Then, I got interviewed after the show, so that might be there too.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #190
The Male

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I could see why you'd like Reckoning so much then. I just feel that album is, well, insubstantial, and Murmur provides an experience no album I've come across has been remotely similar to. I don't think it's my favorite REM album, but probably second or third.

PS: How much are Kunstmuseum shirts? Is it a "how much have you got" kind of thing?

Now.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #191
The Male

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
and a surprisingly successful version of Wish You Were Here.
Let's make the clip private. If Screwy sees it, he could die on the spot.

Looking forward to this, BTW. What's the sound quality like?

Now.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #192
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I could see why you'd like Reckoning so much then. I just feel that album is, well, insubstantial, and Murmur provides an experience no album I've come across has been remotely similar to. I don't think it's my favorite REM album, but probably second or third.

PS: How much are Kunstmuseum shirts? Is it a "how much have you got" kind of thing?
Just played Perfect Circle and I think it's a good illustration of why I've found the album boring before; it just doesn't really go anywhere or do much. As for Reckoning, I would not hesitate to call So. Central Rain one of the band's very best songs. Fables is clearly my favourite REM album, though. I love the opening sequence of Feeling Gravity's Pull, Maps And Legend, and Driver 8.

Not sure how we'll be producing Kunstmuseum shirts, or if it'll be anything more fancy than iron-on transfers!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #193
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Looking forward to this, BTW. What's the sound quality like?
No idea of the sound quality. The guy who filmed it is pretty good with filming, but he'd never filmed live music before, and there was some interference from the way the show was set up and the crowd. It was originally going to be on the guy's deck, but there was imminent rain, and we moved everything but the drum kit underneath a relatively small covered portion of the deck. My set was under the sun, but it was raining hard by the third song in the Blink-182 set.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Don't worry, I hear he'd go to heaven.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:38 PM   #195
Blue Crack Addict

Why does Blink 182 have a cover band? Why?

This is why China is going to win.

Tags
superthread