Howie Day Arrested - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 03-29-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
Forum Moderator
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Howie Day Arrested

Rising popster Howie Day was arrested Thursday in Madison, Wisconsin for allegedly locking a woman in a bathroom after she rejected his sexual advances and breaking the cell phone of another woman who tried to call the police, Madison's Capital Times reports.

The Australian singer-songwriter, whose critically acclaimed debut album Stop All the World Now has quickly become a favorite among the teen and college set, was charged with two misdemeanors--criminal property damage and disorderly conduct.

Day, who had opened for rockers Barenaked Ladies on Wednesday at the Alliant Energy Center near the University of Wisconsin at Madison campus, was released from jail on Thursday after being detained several hours and posting $850 bond.

According to the criminal complaint, the incident took place after that night's concert when the 23-year-old strummer was signing autographs and invited four or five female fans back to his tour bus to party with he and other members of his band. Apparently, that was when things got just a little too cozy.

When one of the women used the bathroom in the back of the tour bus, Day followed her inside and tried to kiss her. The fan rebuffed him so the scruffy crooner left in a huff and locked her in. When Day refused to let her out, one of her friends tried to call police on her cell phone, prompting him to snatch it out her hands, smash it in half, then yell at them to get out.

"That was probably wrong of me," Day was quoted as telling police afterwards. "But I felt violated."

(Gee...wonder how she felt?)

After the woman got out of the bathroom and left the bus, the musician reportedly poured beer on the ladies from a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon.

A rep at Day's label, Epic Records, was unavailable for comment.

After the incident, Day admitted to officers that he broke the cell phone but later tried to change his story by saying he thought it might have been broken already.

And now that he's a big-time rocker, Day also acknowledged to police that inviting girls to "hang out" and "get together" are all part of the touring life and that they are there to "hook up or to drink." The complaint adds that when one of the women said "we didn't come here to hook up," he told her, "then leave."

"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at]
Old 03-29-2004, 10:20 PM   #2
Local Time: 03:54 AM

Aw, I met the kid a few years ago and he seemed so nice and innocent. But that was before a lot of people knew him... fame can do crazy things to people, I guess.

He's Australian? I was almost 100% sure he was from Maine... I know his first album was called Australia...

Old 03-29-2004, 10:22 PM   #3
She's the One
Local Time: 01:54 AM
He sounds like a dick.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #4
The Fly
Local Time: 08:54 AM
nice way to get some PBR advertising!
Old 03-30-2004, 04:50 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
I was pretty positive he was from Maine too.

Anyway, he sounds like a wanker (and I guess he was that night! ), but I like his music.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:03 AM   #6
he is from maine
Old 03-30-2004, 05:13 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier
i think it's that sticker that throws everyone know, the one of australia with his name on it?

or maybe that annoying butterfly boucher lady is still on tour with BNL and they got her confused with him, cos she's australian.

before reading this i was thinking that i know his music sucks, but is that really grounds to be arrested? sounds like mr singer songwriter boy things he's rock n roll
Old 03-30-2004, 07:07 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 03:54 AM
What an ass. I do like his song tho but I wouldn't want to meet him
Old 03-30-2004, 07:57 AM   #9
love, blood, life
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Re: Howie Day Arrested

Originally posted by Bonochick
After the woman got out of the bathroom and left the bus, the musician reportedly poured beer on the ladies from a can of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
What an ass....wasting a perfectly good PBR.

Seriously though, I thought touring was to promote your album, not to drink and hook up with chicks. Why am I even going to shows?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 02:54 AM
Shit. I saw him when he opened for Tori Amos. I can only imagine Tori's reponse had he pulled that on her tour. She might have personally castrated him, lol.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
what a shame he is such an arse. he was really good when i saw him opening for the phonics.