How to Move a Computer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alia612

Refugee
I'll be moving across town next week, and it's the first time I've moved since I bought my computer. So what I'm wondering is, how exactly do I go about packing it up and moving it? At the moment I have a 15" flat-screen monitor, a regular PC tower, and a printer (plus keyboard, mouse, speakers and modem). What should I pack it in? Do I have to disconnect everything? (These are probably stupid questions but I've never done this before, sorry). Thanks!

Computers are fairly resilient for moving.

I'm going to sound old, but "Back in my day, we had to lock down the hard drive and keep a floppy disk (that's a 5 1/4" for you history buffs) when we moved a computer.

I'd just make sure that you don't leave the computer in a hot car and make sure the screen doesn't get scratched.

You can put the keyoard, mouse, etc. in a box or bag, the computer case should be transportable in or not in a box. If it's a CRT monitor, that should be transportable on its own no problem. If you have an LCD, I'd box it and try and put something to protect the screen from getting busted. Putting all the cables back is pretty self-explanatory, but you have the option of making sure one end of each cable is connected to something if you want to insure you are less confused. It shouldn't be too hard to move.

i had to move my computer last year. i have no idea how it was packed up, i had to work and i couldn't take off. but whatever they did, it worked and everything is fine!

my guess is they put the tower in the moving van and boxed up my keyboard, etc. so it wouldn't get lost.

i'm no help, i know.

Thanks a lot for all your help! ABEL, that link was really useful. Thanks again.

Unplug it, stick the case anywhere and the CRT monitor face down on the back seat. I have been to many a lan party and that has never failed.

nbcrusader said:
Computers are fairly resilient for moving.

I'm going to sound old, but "Back in my day, we had to lock down the hard drive and keep a floppy disk (that's a 5 1/4" for you history buffs) when we moved a computer.

I'd just make sure that you don't leave the computer in a hot car and make sure the screen doesn't get scratched.

Hey pops, didn't ur first computer have wheels??? :)

I normally put my computer between the front and back seat of my car, making sure there's little movement possible.

Melon

Being an Apple user.......well I tend to save the boxes they come in.....they're pretty neat looking so I just store them on a shelf in the garage.

:|

i'm going to have to drive my computer from kentucky to california this summer. that'll be a 4 day trip at least. now THAT is going to be an experience...

melon said:
I normally put my computer between the front and back seat of my car, making sure there's little movement possible.

Melon

I may not have gone really far, but when I lived on-campus for two years, my entire desktop system came home for summer and Christmas breaks so I moved my computer 9 times in two years. Like melon suggested, I always set the CPU on the floor between the seats and set the CRT on the backseat with the screen facing the back. Since the seats usually tilt in and the CRT is front heavy, the screen rests nicely against back. If you've got an LCD, I would actually box it up to protect the screen. If you've got a CRT, just remember how front-heavy they are.

Last edited:
I usually take the hard drive out and move that by hand since it's basically the only sensitive component with moving parts that could get roughed up.

Mr. BAW said:

Hey pops, didn't ur first computer have wheels??? :)

No, it was too big to be portable.....

Actually, I took my law school exams using my IBM XT. I stacked all the equipment on my computer chair and wheeled it across campus.

Today, my work laptop weighs about the same as the keyboard for that XT system.

disconnect, toss (or place carefully) into trunk of car, drive to destination, unload from trunk.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
step 1- unplug it
step 2- pick it up
step 3- move it
step 4- plug it back in

yes, what he said.

computers are not that fragile.

the only thing i did do that others laughed at me for was put seatbelts on my moniter and tower.

hey, cant be too careful.

i like to put mine on the hood of my car so i can keep a good eye on it as i drive

Back
Top Bottom