How to Disappear Completely---Amazing!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I know there have been plenty of Radiohead posts in this forum, but I have always stayed out of them because I never really listened to much of their music.

Now my husband has converted me and I just had to share that I think Kid A is wonderful. We are trying to save money and have yet to buy Amnesiac, so forgive my un-hipness for not having the new album yet.

Anyway, my point in starting this was to say that How to Disappear Completely is absolutely beautiful. Sometimes at night I will turn off all the lights and just listen to the sound of Thom's voice, the rise and fall of the music. Anyone else feel this way?

And would I like Amnesiac if I liked Kid A? I still haven't really listened to their older stuff yet, either. Any thoughts? I also read the Rolling Stone article about them and my interest in them has really been piqued.

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
Sometimes at night I will turn off all the lights and just listen to the sound of Thom's voice, the rise and fall of the music. Anyone else feel this way?

Yep. It is one of my all-time favorite songs.
smile.gif

Like U2, Radiohead do not repeat themselves, so it's hard to say if you will like any other albums based on "Kid A." The songs for "Amnesiac" were taken from the same sessions as "Kid A" though, so the 2 albums do have some similarities. I guess one of the main differences is that "Amnesiac" isn't nearly as atmospheric as "Kid A," but I think it's a beautiful album.

As far as their earlier stuff, I think "The Bends" might still be my favorite RH album... but they're just so different, so good for their own reasons, that it's hard for me to single one out.

Which Rolling Stone article was that?

--------------------
"I call up my friend the good angel,
but she's out with
her ansaphone.
She says that she'd love to come help, but
the sea would
electocute us all.. nice dream."

Radiohead, "Nice Dream"

Its one of my favourite Radiohead songs ever..up there with Street Spirit, Let Down, Lucky, and Climbing Up The Walls. Heartland Girl, have you tried The Bends, OK Computer..they are well worth saving up for and are superb night music

Originally posted by travu2:

Which Rolling Stone article was that?

I don't know the specific issue, but Radiohead was on the cover. It said something like "In order to save themselves, Radiohead had to destroy Rock n Roll." It was in the student lounge at my department at the university, so I don't know if it is an older issue or not.

LOL Klodomir! The thread title is a little misleading if you don't have Radiohead on the brain.

And foray, all I got was a Tori Amos page (not that that's bad!) when I opened your link.

Thanks, HeartlandGirl. I've got that one packed up somewhere (i'm moving soon).

If you're a Radiohead fan and want to learn more about their career (and get really depressed about not being able to see them on tour), I would recommend the book "Exit Music: The Radiohead Story." This book follows their career up through Ok Computer, and I think it is very well done. The author covers each release and discusses the band's feelings on most of their songs and their general attitude at each stage leading up to, and just after, the release of Ok Computer. He uses a lot of quotes to do this, but he does a good job of providing the source.

------------------
"Faith, you're drivin me away.
You do it every day.
You don't mean it,
but it hurts like hell."

Radiohead, "My Iron Lung"

foray: Great interpretations! Thanks!

travu2: Thanks for the recommendation. I just get the feeling that Radiohead, like U2, is a band worth getting to know. From reading the RS article, they sound very interesting, especially Thom's dynamic with the rest of the band and how the producers have to balance Thom's genius with the democracy of all the band members.

I'm moving too, in just 2 weeks, half way across the country. Hope you have a good move---it can be stressful.

Thanks, HeartlandGirl. I'm only moving to another apartment here in Tucson, so it's not too big of a deal. Good luck to you, and be safe traveling.

------------------
"Sixty-six the highway speaks
of deserts dry,
of cool green valleys,
gold and silver veins - shining cities."

Back
Top Bottom