How to be a Jerk in the Grocery Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynnok

Rock n' Roll Doggie
1.) Go dazedly amidst the noise and haste- and remember to make sure that you leave your grocery cart right at the narrowest spot in the aisle so that it blocks the way for everyone else. Also, if there is a cart parked on one side of the aisle, park yours on the other side, thwarting anyone who wants to pass, or turn it so it's perpendicular to the aisle, completely blocking the way.

2.) Other people? Who are they? That's not your concern. If you want to stop and have a long, animated conversation with a friend, it's not your problem if people can't get past you. Oh, and by all means, blab on your cell phone while navigating your cart. Not only are you not paying attention to where you're going, you're also forcing the rest of us to hear your inane conversations. Why bother to wait until you get home to make that phone call? And if someone is attempting to reach an object, that's the time to stand right in front of it while you blab away. Hey, this is IMPORTANT!

3.) If you have kids, remember that the entire world revolves around you and them. And don't worry- everyone will find his or her antics to be adorable! For example, make sure that you let your small child push a heavy, overloaded grocery cart around, especially at the busiest times of day! Don't worry if the little angel rams into other shoppers or knocks objects off the shelves- it's cute! And while everyone else's children need discipline yours don't- so treat the store as if it were your home and let them run around, screaming and unsupervised. And those huge kiddy wagons aren't an inconvenience at all, even if they are the size of a minivan! Park them anywhere you want. And remember, the best time of day to bring your entire brood of children is when the busiest time of day! Everything has to be for the children, including the grocery store.

4.) When you are waiting on line, wait until the last minute to get your cash or debit card out. That's also a good time to decide to get into an argument with the cashier about the price of something, forcing her to get out the circular while everyone else waits for you. Insist she go over every single item on the receipt. Let's face it-twelve cents is twelve cents! And of course, being rude, abusive and insulting to the teenage cashier will most certainly obtain the best results.

5.) No matter how many times in your life you have been shopping, you have to instantly forget how to do it as soon as you enter the grocery store. For instance, don't bother to wait until the person in front of you is finished with THEIR load before you start dumping yours onto the conveyor belt. And remember, butting your cart into someone else's backside will make the line go faster. Really!

6.) Why bother helping the cashier bag groceries? It's so complicated and time consuming! Let her do it, even if it will save YOU some time and makes the line go faster. Even if it's just six items- it's still HER job!

7.) No reason you have to move any faster than a Galapagos tortoise, especially when someone is trying to get at an item on the shelf and you're standing in front of it. And no need to look behind you! Just stop suddenly and back up! You have all the time in the world- so what if the woman behind you just saw her bus leave the stop?

8.) If someone politely says, "excuse me" hoping, perhaps, that you might let them pass, or do something to prevent your children from pulling objects off the shelves, look at them as if they puked or suggested you pick your nose and eat it. They are the ones being inconsiderate, not you.

This is really funny, probably because it's so true. I can't believe how many people seem to leave their manners and common sense in the car when they go grocery shopping :crack:

:drool:

oh, and another one:

when shopping, leave your cart in the middle of the aisle and wander up and down the aisle to collect the things you need. this way you block people with your cart and your fat ass :heart:

:crack: this is so damn true... esp. that one about the kids and people on cellphones....

I work in a supermarket... I prefer to work after/before closing time yes :wink:

Sicy said:
:angry:

I worked in a grocery store for 8 years.

I hate you all.

I also enjoy loading all my stuff at the register, and then when the cashier starts ringing everything up, I grab one item and say, "Oh, I got the wrong one," and then I walk back in the aisles....and never come back.

Oh yeah... well I enjoyed scanning all the customers' items twice :madspit:

Lets not forget our favorite customer..the one who continues to tell the cashier the story of their lives AFTER their groceries are bagged and the transaction is complete.

The elderly are esp. guilty. (no haters on this please, its a fact).

But i've had my share of cashiers who wont s.t.f.u too.

UberBeaver said:

I also enjoy loading all my stuff at the register, and then when the cashier starts ringing everything up, I grab one item and say, "Oh, I got the wrong one," and then I walk back in the aisles....and never come back.

:lmao: :lmao:

it's also especially considerate to wait for the bagger to finish bagging your $300 worth of purchases before realizing your mistake and requesting that they actually bag those groceries "double paper inside plastic."

:up:

:lol: Oh but it is so true. sad sad.

I do love this new grocery chain here called Martin's. They have on-site childcare (less screaming kids in the aisles, yay!), wide aisles, self-checkout stations and little scanner hand-gun thingies that you can use to scan your groceries while you shop, so check out takes like one minute. Still, I'm amazed at how totally out-of-it people can be when shopping...as if they're the only ones in the store. :huh:

:lmao: great post lynn!! so so true...

how about this one:

You are in the self-serve line ringing up your stuff and had finished (mind you are by yourself so doh you can't do two things at once)up then are in the process of bagging your items going at a normal pace for someone who isn't a bagger at a grocery store and some eejit/biatch starts up right behind you and starts ringing her shit up while you are still bagging so as to mix up your stuff with hers! CAN 'T YOU WAIT A FEW SECONDS FOR ME TO FRIGGIN FINISH FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! :banghead: I mean how hard is it to just wait . No consideration for the person in front of you. Oh wait let me become "Speedy Gonzales the bagger" so that you can ring up your stuff cuz you are more important than anyone else.. :huh:

Last edited:
May i take this out of the grocery store for a moment...
The number 2 reason i absolutely loathe and despise theme parks (D-land, ahem)
is because the people WITH STROLLERS stop, just friggen stop right there in the flow of traffic,
right there in the middle of the line of people to answer a phone,
feed their babies or argue with their spouse about which way to go.
I think they are so inconsiderate to just stand there while the line of people start packing up around them.
I have actually yelled at people to get the f out of the way that do this.

:macdevil:

But this also applies to the grocery store, just with carts.

Maddy told me to check this thread out. And she said to never go marketing with UberBeaver :lol:

I think I go into the market maybe a handful of times a year. Probably once around birthday party time to get a few things. Not my job :happy:

I work in a grocery store too. One of my coworkers and I keep talking about making a list like this, but now we don't have to. :cool:

My biggest pet peeve though is line jumpers - people who think that they're better than everyone else and when you say "I can help the next person in line" they translate it as, "I'll help you, Your Highness, because you look like you're better than everyone else." :mad:

Another thing that annoys me is $1-$2 purchases on debit cards/credit cards. Slows everybody down to a snail's pace. I long for the days before plastic money.

Not really annoying, but funny though, is when people confuse our store with other stores - bringing in coupons, asking for stuff that they ordered (to be delivered to the other store) and we have to explain that WE ARE NOT THAT OTHER STORE.

I won't even get into the weirdos I encounter on a daily basis... :huh:

One of my personal favorites is the troglodites that pick up milk or eggs, etc. back in the dairy section of the market, then decide when they reach the soup aisle or the frozen foods section that they've found the PERFECT spot to put aforementioned products they don't want/need/can't afford.

Walk your effin' fat asses back to the proper place in the store & return the item to the effin' shelf it belongs on!!!!! :madwife:

I could go on & on, but lynnok did such a wonderful job there's really no need. :up:

Last edited:
Sicy said:
I won a national bagging competition once :nerd:

That's so great! I'd seriously be proud! Did you get a medal? A gold-plated bag, perhps? :wink: They could have the "environmental bagging competition" these days..at least in Canada. Many of the big chains are offering heavy-duty sacs as plastic replacements. You can really fit a lot more in them, plus you're reducing waste dramatically. :nerd:

I can definitely be a grocery store jerk. Usually, I reserve that mode for attacking managers who have just one cash open for 100 or so shoppers :angry:

I hate those stupid carts with the car for kids on the front of them. They're so wide that they take up almost the whole aisle, and the people who use them think they can plop their kids in there and ignore them no matter what they do :mad:

My store has started selling canvas bags for 99 cents each. I have two, and now I rarely need any plastic bags, and the ones I bring home I use for cleaning the kitty box :wink:

angelordevil said:
That's so great! I'd seriously be proud! Did you get a medal? A gold-plated bag, perhps? :wink:

Actually I won a TV :D And at 18 years old that's a great thing!

I was seriously the fastest most efficient bagger ever, and then when I was a checker I was the fastest checker. Everyone would always come to my line because I loved to go fastttttttttt.

Sicy said:

I was seriously the fastest most efficient bagger ever, and then when I was a checker I was the fastest checker. Everyone would always come to my line because I loved to go fastttttttttt.

We need Sicy clones at every checkout! You'd revolutionize the grocery industry! :wink:

how about being in a bag it yourself line...and no one is in any other lines...but the bagger WILL NOT LEAVE THEIR POST...under any circumstances to bag your groceries....heaven forbid...I mean come on...you ARE in the bag it yourself line:madwife:

Back
Top Bottom