How to be a Jerk in the Grocery Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoIsMyMuse said:
This is really funny, probably because it's so true. I can't believe how many people seem to leave their manners and common sense in the car when they go grocery shopping :crack:

Or anywhere else, for that matter. :crack:

maro_chik said:

Another thing that annoys me is $1-$2 purchases on debit cards/credit cards. Slows everybody down to a snail's pace. I long for the days before plastic money.

That annoyed the crap out of me when I worked in a coffee shop. And most cards belonging to the people who do that won't even swipe anymore. So then they have to be hand entered, delaying things further. Really, that little strip wasn't made for that kind of use.

angelordevil said:

I can definitely be a grocery store jerk. Usually, I reserve that mode for attacking managers who have just one cash open for 100 or so shoppers :angry:

customers that complain about this give me the s#@ts:mad: While you complain I could have served half the queue. Head office makes stores run on a certain amount of people, those people have to serve, put out stock, change prices, clean up after idiot customers and provide personal shopping. If the store can run on 5 staff, lets see how they go with 4, then 3, etc. Most of the time the store is busy for 15 mins then quiet for 45 mins.

The worst is when the customer gets to the front then searches their purse for the right change, pays with a card that doesn't work or stands right in the way of everyone else while they put the gold coins in one spot, the silver in another, oh, and notes have to be separated too. Whilst doing this they find their loyalty card,"oh, is it too late for this?". Yes, it freakin is:madwife:

great thread by the way:lmao: :lmao:

I worked at a supermarket for a while last year. One of the most annoying things, I thought, was when people brought in, like, $20 worth of small change. It was usually people who'd just earned a lot of money busking that did this. You'd have to try to count the change as fast as possible, while trying not to worry too much about the till not balancing. And everyone in the queue would be sighing and making you feel like you were taking forever.

The *most" annoying thing was when people would put stickers with the wrong prices on their groceries. I worked at a supermarket where people had the choice to weigh their fruit/vegs and bulk foods themselves if they wished, rather than take them to the checkout to be weighed. Some people would weigh the product and print out the sticker with the price, and then put more of the product in the bag. This kind of thing annnoyed me no end. I'd think "what you've done is so obvious, do you think I'm dumb?!"

We had a competition thing too, where you had to be fast, and give good customer service. I was too slow to enter :| But I was the only check-out operator out of about 30 who balanced down to the cent for one week running!

You should check out www.customerssuck.com . They totally feel your pain!

The thing that bugged me is when customers would blame me, the employee, for the line being slow when it was clearly the fault of the customer in front of them (handing over items one at a time rather than unloading all the cart -- hello, that's what the conveyor belt is for! -- or waiting until the total is rung up to produce the store discount card, drag out the checkbook, slooowly write out the check and fill out and balance the check register, etc., etc.) GAAH! Get it together! :mad:

fah said:
Has anyone mentioned the shopper who has too many items for the express line :mad:

My local Kroger store often only has one damned checkout line open -- the express line. If they want people to consistantly use the express line only when they have 15 or fewer items they shouldn't make people use that line when they only have one line open. Morons. :madspit:

Sue DeNym said:
You should check out www.customerssuck.com . They totally feel your pain!

The thing that bugged me is when customers would blame me, the employee, for the line being slow when it was clearly the fault of the customer in front of them (handing over items one at a time rather than unloading all the cart -- hello, that's what the conveyor belt is for! -- or waiting until the total is rung up to produce the store discount card, drag out the checkbook, slooowly write out the check and fill out and balance the check register, etc., etc.) GAAH! Get it together! :mad:

That's a good site, I'm starting to feel I had it easy!

lynnok said:

7.) No reason you have to move any faster than a Galapagos tortoise, especially when someone is trying to get at an item on the shelf and you're standing in front of it. And no need to look behind you! Just stop suddenly and back up! You have all the time in the world- so what if the woman behind you just saw her bus leave the stop?

Personal philosophy: if someone stops suddenly in front of you for no good reason, don't stop, just ram into them as hard as you can. (unless driving, obviously)

If the person's male, get a bit of shoulder-whacking in, too.

Serves the :censored: right!

Yes, I am probably going to hell.

This doesn't really follow the topic, but I was in line at the store today behind someone who was yapping away on their cell. The cashier greeted her, and the woman on the phone put her fingers up to her lips to shush the cashier and mouthed that she was on the phone. :der: The cashier's response was hilarious. Instead of being queit, she just replied to everything the person on the phone said...

Customer: "Did you hear about what happened to so and so with so and so"?

Cahsier: "No, I don't believe I know them, but I would love to hear all about it."

This continued for awhile and everyone in earshot was laughing. Finally, the person caught on, and quickly ended the conversation.

Whenever I'm in a rush I always seem to get in the queue where the OAP at the till decides TODAY is the day they want to test out paying for things with their debit card for the first time, TODAY is the day that they'll repeatedly ignore the cashier's instructions to "Wait a sec before you put your PIN number in" and TODAY is the day that they realise that they don't actually KNOW what their PIN number is!!! :mad:

I work night fill and I must say I appreciate only having a few customers each night being a mix of the disturbed, drunk and new parents each with a set goal and no business asking questions :up:

My boss has this theory that everyone is a nice well mannered and smart person... until they hit the drains as they drive into our work. Then he thinks they all become thick dumb asses who can't remember what pump number they're on.

This thread is so great! :lol:
I've had all those things happen to me.
I really hate when I have to go to the grocery store. :mad:
It's one of those things in life I really despise doing, along with pumping gas.

ylimeU2 said:
This doesn't really follow the topic, but I was in line at the store today behind someone who was yapping away on their cell. The cashier greeted her, and the woman on the phone put her fingers up to her lips to shush the cashier and mouthed that she was on the phone. :der: The cashier's response was hilarious. Instead of being queit, she just replied to everything the person on the phone said...

Customer: "Did you hear about what happened to so and so with so and so"?

Cahsier: "No, I don't believe I know them, but I would love to hear all about it."

This continued for awhile and everyone in earshot was laughing. Finally, the person caught on, and quickly ended the conversation.

:lmao: Beautiful!

I'm going to use this the next time I get some idiot who comes to the animal hospital on the phone, steps up to the counter, totally blocking everyone else, and expects me to wait for them.

Of course, I'm terribly rude when I ignore them for the person whose poor dog's leg is dangling by a tendon and needs to get into a room right. frikkin. now.

We need a list like this for medical clinics, too.

The horror stories, I tell you I have nightmares.

Back
Top Bottom