How serious is pnemonia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
My nonna (that's grandmohter in Italian to you) just landed in the hospital with pnemonia. She collapsed twice at home, and now she's on antibiotics through I.V. I don't know how serious pnemonia really is. I...(no words right now).

On a side note, the hospital had NO rooms so she's going to be in the ER all night (which means she will have spent 24 hours there). PLUS, the hospital hs NO blankets. None. And she's shivering in her bed in the noisy ER with an IV in her arm. Oh wait, Canada has a GOOD health system?

Sorry to hear that.

Pneumonia is a lot more serious if it is left untreated...so your grandma is in a good place.

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
My nonna (that's grandmohter in Italian to you) just landed in the hospital with pnemonia. She collapsed twice at home, and now she's on antibiotics through I.V. I don't know how serious pnemonia really is. I...(no words right now).

On a side note, the hospital had NO rooms so she's going to be in the ER all night (which means she will have spent 24 hours there). PLUS, the hospital hs NO blankets. None. And she's shivering in her bed in the noisy ER with an IV in her arm. Oh wait, Canada has a GOOD health system?

I'm so sorry about your Nonna
frown.gif

Unfortunately, pneumonia can be pretty serious in an older person but like senrab said, she's in the right place. IV antibiotics is the proper treatment, I'm just sorry to hear that a bed can't be found for her. That's so wrong.

The same thing happened to my grandma a few months ago so I know how you feel. She fainted in the middle of the night and didn't want to worry us so a neighbor took her to the hospital and she spent 2 days cold and alone in the ER. They never even brought her a meal. By the time they called us, she had already had surgery to put a pacemaker in and had to go through it alone. So sad.

Healthcare in the US can be just as bad.

I had it twice when I was a kid. I was out of school for about a month both times.

Your Grandmother is in the best place. (((Nonna)))

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>

Ive had pnemonia before, last year, I was 16 at the time, and ooh it was lovely, I missed about a week of school and my mom said 'hey, youre on antibiotics, youre not dead yet, how about you go to school' ... *twitches with rage*

The_Sweetest_Thing said:

I dont like the sound of this hospital. :tsk:

* says a prayer for nonna.

Sweetest Thing.

Pneumonia can be bad if not caught and treated properly.....there are many types and some are more serious than others.

I am 25 and in pretty good shape, I had a very serious case of pneumonia in December. I was in the hospital for 5 days. Had I not gone to the ER when I did, I probably would have died with in a day or two. It is not a laughing matter or an illness to take with a grain of salt. (I looked up a bunch of stats after getting out of the hospital) but it is also something that is treated pretty easily these days.

Make sure that your grandmother gets plenty of rest even after she gets out of the hospital. She really should not do to much to fast and should expect to be weak for a while. If she is on IV antibitics she should be pretty good to go. I was on a few different drugs and noticed a big difference after a day or two, but remained very weak for a while (I think that is normal) and full recovery took about a month and a half.

You might ask to make sure that she is getting albutoral treatments to help her get whatever is in her lungs out.

I hope she recovers quickly - let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.

I had pneumonia in 6th grade...I was out of school for 2 weeks. It was NOT fun! But with plenty of rest I survived.

Back
Top Bottom