How serious is pnemonia? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
MacPhisto's serving wench

Local Time: 06:07 PM
How serious is pnemonia?

My nonna (that's grandmohter in Italian to you) just landed in the hospital with pnemonia. She collapsed twice at home, and now she's on antibiotics through I.V. I don't know how serious pnemonia really is. I...(no words right now).

On a side note, the hospital had NO rooms so she's going to be in the ER all night (which means she will have spent 24 hours there). PLUS, the hospital hs NO blankets. None. And she's shivering in her bed in the noisy ER with an IV in her arm. Oh wait, Canada has a GOOD health system?

Old 05-25-2002, 11:23 PM   #2
Refugee

Sorry to hear that.

Pneumonia is a lot more serious if it is left untreated...so your grandma is in a good place.

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
My nonna (that's grandmohter in Italian to you) just landed in the hospital with pnemonia. She collapsed twice at home, and now she's on antibiotics through I.V. I don't know how serious pnemonia really is. I...(no words right now).

On a side note, the hospital had NO rooms so she's going to be in the ER all night (which means she will have spent 24 hours there). PLUS, the hospital hs NO blankets. None. And she's shivering in her bed in the noisy ER with an IV in her arm. Oh wait, Canada has a GOOD health system?

Old 05-25-2002, 11:35 PM   #3
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 03:07 PM
I'm so sorry about your Nonna

Unfortunately, pneumonia can be pretty serious in an older person but like senrab said, she's in the right place. IV antibiotics is the proper treatment, I'm just sorry to hear that a bed can't be found for her. That's so wrong.

The same thing happened to my grandma a few months ago so I know how you feel. She fainted in the middle of the night and didn't want to worry us so a neighbor took her to the hospital and she spent 2 days cold and alone in the ER. They never even brought her a meal. By the time they called us, she had already had surgery to put a pacemaker in and had to go through it alone. So sad.

Healthcare in the US can be just as bad.
Old 05-25-2002, 11:41 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Says a little prayer for Nonna.
Old 05-26-2002, 12:20 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I had it twice when I was a kid. I was out of school for about a month both times.

Your Grandmother is in the best place. (((Nonna)))

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>
Old 06-03-2002, 09:46 AM   #6
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:07 PM
I am hoping that your Nonna is doing better. My mom had pnemonia once and she got over it, but it took awhile to get her strenght back.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:24 PM   #7
I serve MacPhisto

Ive had pnemonia before, last year, I was 16 at the time, and ooh it was lovely, I missed about a week of school and my mom said 'hey, youre on antibiotics, youre not dead yet, how about you go to school' ... *twitches with rage*
Old 06-03-2002, 02:30 PM   #8
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 03:07 PM
Re: How serious is pnemonia?

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing
I dont like the sound of this hospital.

* says a prayer for nonna.
Old 06-03-2002, 02:32 PM   #9
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:07 PM
Sweetest Thing.

Pneumonia can be bad if not caught and treated properly.....there are many types and some are more serious than others.

I am 25 and in pretty good shape, I had a very serious case of pneumonia in December. I was in the hospital for 5 days. Had I not gone to the ER when I did, I probably would have died with in a day or two. It is not a laughing matter or an illness to take with a grain of salt. (I looked up a bunch of stats after getting out of the hospital) but it is also something that is treated pretty easily these days.

Make sure that your grandmother gets plenty of rest even after she gets out of the hospital. She really should not do to much to fast and should expect to be weak for a while. If she is on IV antibitics she should be pretty good to go. I was on a few different drugs and noticed a big difference after a day or two, but remained very weak for a while (I think that is normal) and full recovery took about a month and a half.

You might ask to make sure that she is getting albutoral treatments to help her get whatever is in her lungs out.

I hope she recovers quickly - let me know if there is anything else I can tell you.
Old 06-03-2002, 07:44 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I had pneumonia in 6th grade...I was out of school for 2 weeks. It was NOT fun! But with plenty of rest I survived.