How old were you when you stopped believing in Santa Claus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiny dancer

Blue Crack Distributor
I was eight when I found out that there wasn't a Santa Claus. :shocked: My thrid grade teacher told us. When I got home from school I cried, and my mom was really mad at her for telling us. :mad:

I didn't stop believing in Santa - Santa stopped believing in me. He came up to me, all decked out in his red suit with a joint hanging from his lower lip, and said: 'kid, I don't believe in you'. Then he popped out one of his eyes and swallowed it.

I knew there was no santa claus when I was about 7. I realized that the To:/From: writing on the packages from "Santa" was my dads.

335%3A%3B4%3B923232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2326%3D954%3D%3B%3A%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E2323353733%3A%3A%3Bot1lsi
I love this picture.

I was really young, maybe 6. My older sister believed longer than I did. In my rational mind I concluded it was impossible. I remember asking my dad and him being evasive. That confirmed it, he did not want to lie to me. It was a few years later that I realized organized religion was a load of crap. I played along with it because it was important to my family.

I was 8. I thought I heard Santa and his reindeer outside, so I peeked out my window...and saw Dad carryin' in Christmas presents from the garage. :sigh:

I was crushed!!!

on Christmas Eve my parents would take me outside to look in the sky, when I saw a red plane light they would tell me it was Rudloph's nose and Santa was coming so I better get to sleep. I was hyperactive; they had to lie to get me to go to sleep. :angry:

Sicy said:
I realized that the To:/From: writing on the packages from "Santa" was my dads.

Yeah, I could always tell it was my mom's handwriting on the labels, too!

Sadly enough, I don't remember ever believing in Santa, but my parents tell me that I did when I was really little. I don't know what made me stop.

I was pretty young...I guess mom didn't think that I would figure out that her handwriting on the gift labels was exactly the same on the one's labeled "from: mom and dad" and "from" santa clause". Duh, mom!

I think I was about 10...I kept rationalizing to myself how Santa could exist and both my parents are creative, so they just kept finding new ways to keep the whole thing going!

What finally did it was discovering one of "Santa's" presents in a closet. I was so racked with guilt. :huh:

I don't remember when I stopped believing.....I think I was about 6-ish. I do remember being awake once when my mum brought my 'sack' of presents into my bedroom (we never had them under the tree - always at the end of our beds)

I asked my mum why she was bringing my presents and not santa and she said it was because we had a gas fire and so santa couldn't get down the chimney. So he'd left the presents on our front doorstep and asked mum to bring them in for him. I think I believed her for a short while...

:|

we980aefu

I don't remember how old I was but I remember exactly what happened:

One of the other moms in the class called my mom at home and told her that one of the kids in the class told a whole bunch of us that Santa was fake.

So, when we got home that afternoon she sat me down and said, "Mary-Kathleen, I understand that you found out about Santa Claus this afternoon...." and proceeded to go into this thing about kids finding out he is fake and this whole long talk about it.

Well, unfortunatley, I wasn't one of the kids that was told. So, my mom ended up being the one that told me.

I sat there until she was finished and burst into tears and screamed, "NO ONE TOLD ME THERE WASN'T A SANTA CLAUS!!!"

It was all very dramatic and comical at the same time.

:lol:

I don't remember believing in Santa. But then I don't remember a damn thing about my entire second grade year in school, so who knows. Memory can be a very fickle thing.

Najeena

You know what movie was cool? Silent Night Deadly Night. Rent this movie. It's a classic. Just in time for the holidays.

I was in 6th grade. I remember thinking that I was the first person in my grade to catch on to reality, because that Chrstmas all the other kids where still talking about what Santa Claus was bringing.

I sat my parents down in the kitchen, and flat out ask the question. I had always been an equiring mind and had always shifted through my parents closet before Christmas, and one year I found a gift that on Christmas morning they claimed came from Santa. LOL....I remember asking them...."Are you sure?" And they got kind of nervous and got up and walked in the other room. LOL....11 years old and I made my parents squirm.

Guess I could be happy I didn't have that sometimes tramautic "shock" as kid.

"Christmas is about Christ, not Santa Claus." I was like, yeah Santa is nice, but it's Jesus' birthday.

My stepda, he played up the Santa thing, hehe, I used to live in a 2 story condo, and I peeped my head down the stairs, and saw my mom and stepdad wrapping stuff. They had "from Santa" but I knew it was my stepdad.

Are we talking here about that fat man with Christmas? Never believed in him. Then again, (almost) no-one believes in him here in the Netherlands.
Now, if we're talking about Saint Nicholas, the bishop who brings around presents on 5/6 December, then it's a different story.

I don't know exactly how old I was when I didn't believe in him anymore. We still lived in the house where I was born, so I think I was around 7 or so. In the days after 5 December (it was a Sunday, IIRC) I was continuing my exploration of the house and was heading into the unknown of the attic. There I found a list with items which were surprisingly identical to the presents my sister and me got (I can clearly remember my little sister got a new bike that year). It took only a few seconds to make the connection in my head and then I stormed down to tell my parents.
They were sitting in the living room watching TV with my little sister. They immediately denied all the accusations, probably to protect my little sister (who was 5 at that time). :) A few days later my mother did take me apart and told me that Saint Nicholas did not exist anymore, but that I should not tell it to others (my little sister, etc.) because they might still believe in it. Uh... OK!
And that was it. No tears, no fights. Only now I did have a secret many of my peers might not know. :mac: I never abused my power though... :angel:

C ya!

Marty

I never miss a chance to remind Dad about what a monster he is for having lied to his precious children...telling us there was a Santa Claus...;)

Dad: Honey, have I ever lied to you?

BC: Well...there WAS that whole Santa Claus thing...

Dad: Are you ever going to get over that? All parents do it!

BC: That doesn't make it right!!!!!

:laugh:

:heart: Dad :heart:

I think I was 8. Simply put I didn't go to bed. I figured technically if I opened my presents at midnight it would still be Christmas morning. I kinda suspected the old jolly fellow didn't really exist so I wasn't too surprised.

Prior to that I thought he lived in Finland.

Back
Top Bottom