how often do you cook your own dinner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Man

ONE love, blood, life
...and how often do you eat out/order something/buy something on your way home from work?

Do you :flirt: when you cook?

Cook maybe 4 times a week.
Take out maybe 3 times a week.

My wife is a good cook (thank god because I can't cook and it's tough making good vegetarian/vegan food) so I would say for dinner the ratio is usually 6:1 for home cooked meals vs going/ordering out.
Friday or Saturday nights we are usually lazy and go out somewhere or order something.

U2Man said:
...and how often do you eat out/order something/buy something on your way home from work?

What about you?

I rarely cook, because I'm not a good cook, and have a small kitchen.
Normally I get me something I just have to put in the oven or bags that get boiled in a pot.

Sometimes even frozen pizza, and once every two weeks, sometimes once per week I just buy myself a kebap.

But I don't like to do something that takes some 20 minutes in preparation alone, especially because I have no room for it.

well i try to cook as much as possible. but too often i find it tremendously boring - and time consuming. luckily we have a good staff restaurant at work so i get a good meal each day, regardless of whether i cook or not.

i'd say it's probably 3-4 days a week or so that i cook.

Usually twice a week - friday night and saturday night. But I love cooking and tend to go crazy on sunday, cooking meals that I can have for dinner or lunch during the week.

I try to cook more often than I used to. I bought a ton of Rachael Ray cook books on Ebay for inspiration. I found myself spending too much money on take out and eating too much bad (yummy) food. that being said, take out is about 1-2 times a week. sometimes cook something with a lot of ingredients, sometimes just something out of the freezer.

I rarely cook, but would like to start doing it more often. Too much prep time and cleanup afterwards is my excuse.

it evens out during the week. i love to cook, but hate the cleanup afterwards. so i'd say 3-4 times a week i cook.

I try to cook dinner every night becuase durning the day I am at work and I have to eat take out. I think it is important to eat a healthy breakfast and dinner.

I cook most of my meals at home, partly because I'm poor and partly because I enjoy cooking. I like things the way I like them and when I have an idea in my head for a particular meal, I know I won't be able to find exactly what I want out in some restaurant.

I also like to cook at home because then I have more control over the ingredients that go into my food. No bad or hydrogenated oils, no high-fructose corn syrup, no refined salts.

I eat out maybe once a week and sometimes I go over to my friends house for a home-cooked meal but I don't suppose that counts.

once a week i don´t have dinner

going out about twice a week

cooking about 4 times a week

i have stopped with most of the frozen shit but eat more chocolate lately

I don't cook at all :)

Hubby cooks, but it seems like we do get a lot of take out. Dinner would be 50/50 in/take-out. Lunch is usually take-out. Yesterday was Popeye's for lunch and hubby's beef stew for dinner.

I cook almost all my meals. I'd say I do pizza (either frozen or delivery) or some type of fully prepared meal (take out or just heat meals from the supermarket) maybe once or twice a week at most, and that includes all meals, not just dinner.

I think the last time I actually ate in a restaurant -- even a fast food one -- was in August. :ohmy:

We pretty much always cook, go out or get takeout maybe once a month, and seldom eat pre-prepared/frozen meals because most of them just don't taste very good. A single person who chooses cheap takeout options (though that's not too healthy in the long run) can probably come out not spending too much more than they would have on homecooked food, but when you've got kids like we do, that's just not possible.

I know it sounds lecturesome but I think it's very unfortunate--healthwise, pleasurewise, and moneywise--that the transmission of cooking skills from parent to child has eroded in our society as badly as it has. If you know how to cook, then you can eat much more nutrionally and flavorfully varied meals for so much less than someone who can't, and if you hear or see about something that sounds good on Food Network or wherever then you'll be able to come up with your own adapted version even if you don't have a recipe. And it's like any other housekeeping or self-care routine--if you grew up doing it regularly, it just doesn't feel like that much of a hassle. There will always be a few people who simply truly hate cooking, or who truly don't care whether their food tastes good, but most of the time those aren't really the reasons for not cooking.

Plus, cooking with your kids, partner or roommate can really be a lot of fun. Or if you're the type of person who prefers to have the kitchen to yourself then you can always make them do the grocery shopping and/or clean up afterwards. :D

Last edited:
i have a bad habit of visiting macdonalds on my way home from work in the evening. i try to stay away from the fries, though :wink:

I cook a casserole and then we eat if for three days. We get take out 1-2 times a week. I buy my lunches at the cafeteria at work, but I get salads and sandwiches, which is healthier than the stuff I'd bring from home.

Like yolland said, it's unfortunately cheaper for us to get small take out dinners and eat lunch at the cafeteria than buy veggies and other things from the store b/c they go bad so fast. The past few times I've bought all our own salad stuff, the veggies rot before we can eat most of it. I'd rather get a fresh veggie bowl each day at work. All of the fruits I like are only in-season here during the summer and often aren't even available (or are three times the price) during fall and winter.

Last edited:
I eat at home probably 5-6 nights a week. I like to cook big batches of stuff on the weekends then freeze individual portions so I can just grab something and reheat it during the week. I also do this for most of my work meals. :nerd: I love to cook anyway, plus there aren't a whole lot of options for vegetarians in the tiny town I live in. :|

My mom will cook like 2 times a month and my dad doesnt cook:lol:

I actually cook...and i don't cook that pre made stuff like the kraft mac and cheese so don't think it as that:lol:

...usually eat take-out...

forbonou2 said:
:wink: Every nite! What self respecting Italian wouldn't?:eyebrow:

Well, you have a variation of pasta for every day of the year, plus pizza, plus lasagne. :wink:

I cook every night. I have a weird diet (I don't think it is weird, but others do) b/c of allergies and whatnot. Like, I'm a vegetarian, but I'm allergic to carrots & celery...which is in most precooked vegetarian meals. :( I also cook b/c I'm poor...so I don't have much of a choice. Really though, I make one meal and it lasts for 3-4 days.
It also makes it easy b/c I try to eat more raw fruits/veggies than cooked. I'm not a raw-foods-vegan, but I like to try to be one as much as possible without risk of losing protein or other stuff.

Im lucky cause I have two friends that are Pro Chef's. So I get alot of advice from them. I used to eat fast food 3 times a day, and since I have been cooking for myself, and actually making great dishes, I have lost about 15 Lbs. But I still love going out for sushi, so I guess I cook at home about 5 nights a week.

Only thing I cook is stirfry but that's out of a bag.
My friends come over with various snack things and I don't eat very much so a pan of chicken stirfry and some cheetoes can last me for days.

I order a pizza at the beginning of the week usually, too.

I always have to eat for two.
Well, I think it's because of the small portions they have.
They say one pack makes for two to three meals, but I always have to make me two of that.

Funny is with frozen pizza. Where I grew up, in the north of Germany, there were only packages of one pizza, net weight 350 grams.
When I came to Berlin they had packages of two pizzas everywhere, or 750 grams.

In mid-December I discovered packages with three pizzas, or 1.05 kilograms.

Well, I need two pizzas, but three is too much.

Back
Top Bottom