how often do you cook your own dinner... - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #61
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bonocomet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: California :)
Posts: 67,032
Local Time: 11:44 AM
My husband cooks every night except for one when we get take out so he has a night off. But he does it because he enjoys it. Also he gets home from work 3 hours earlier than I do, so it works out good for us. He also does all the grocery shopping since he's the cook. I love it.
__________________

__________________
bonocomet is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 08:13 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
it saves a whole lot of money when you buy yourself a pound of lentils for 69 cents and it lasts you forever. Great meal too.
lentils are like magical beans! you can make so many dishes with them. curry lentils and rice are one of my fav meals to cook, and it can last for days!
__________________

__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami


lentils are like magical beans! you can make so many dishes with them. curry lentils and rice are one of my fav meals to cook, and it can last for days!
Yes yes! I lentils. They are so versatile and healthy and cheap! Speaking of lentil dishes, have you tried kusherie? Egyptian lentil/rice dish with tomato sauce, browned onions and yogurt on top. High quality protein without meat.
__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,692
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4


Yes yes! I lentils. They are so versatile and healthy and cheap! Speaking of lentil dishes, have you tried kusherie? Egyptian lentil/rice dish with tomato sauce, browned onions and yogurt on top. High quality protein without meat.


Don't forget Chick Peas...
__________________
elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #65
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Like I said before, I usually don't cook, but last night I baked homemade enchiladas, 7-layer chip dip, and cookies. Today I'm out sick with a migraine.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
U2Girl416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: and if you don't know where you're going...any road will take you there..
Posts: 3,435
Local Time: 02:44 PM
what were the 7-layers Lies? sounds tasty. I wonder if cooking is a reasonable excuse to not go to work? "Sorry, I cooked way too much last night...." (sorry about your migraine though!)

we made homemade pizza during halftime last night--pepperoni, onions, green peppers. it was good
__________________
U2Girl416 is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #67
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator
 
Bonochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cherry Lane
Posts: 40,816
Local Time: 03:44 PM

I told Ernie I was making chicken caesar salad tonight, and he called me Grandma. He said that it's February in Michigan, I should make something warm like stew. Apparently, a cold salad in the winter is something his grandma would do.

Well, I already bought the stuff, so I'm gonna compromise and make soup to go with it.
__________________
"Knight in shining Zubaz."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Bonochick is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
cell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 5,901
Local Time: 12:44 PM
i think i'll make some zuppa toscana soup tonight. its easy and very good.
__________________
cell is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:08 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Girl416
what were the 7-layers Lies? sounds tasty. I wonder if cooking is a reasonable excuse to not go to work? "Sorry, I cooked way too much last night...." (sorry about your migraine though!)

9x13 pan, bottom to top:

1 can refried beans
3 avocadoes, mashed, w/ 1/2 packet taco seasoning
sour cream
diced onion
diced tomato
sliced black olives
shredded cojack cheese
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4


Yes yes! I lentils. They are so versatile and healthy and cheap! Speaking of lentil dishes, have you tried kusherie? Egyptian lentil/rice dish with tomato sauce, browned onions and yogurt on top. High quality protein without meat.
OMG no I have not, but it sounds amazing!!! I'll have to cook it up next time.
__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 07:11 PM   #71
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: at pavel's
Posts: 11,603
Local Time: 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
Do you when you cook?
yes.
__________________
U2Man is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,290
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4


Yes yes! I lentils. They are so versatile and healthy and cheap! Speaking of lentil dishes, have you tried kusherie? Egyptian lentil/rice dish with tomato sauce, browned onions and yogurt on top. High quality protein without meat.
That sounds awesome! I'll have to bypass the yogurt (lactose intolerant), but the rest sounds heavenly.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Kusherie Recipe
(from my beloved More-with-Less Cookbook: suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources)

Rice and lentils:
Heat in heavy saucepan or covered skillet:
2 T. oil
Add:
1 1/4 cup lentils
Brown lentils over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add:
3 cups boiling water or stock (stock gets my vote, more flavor)
1 t. salt
dash of pepper

Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in:
1 1/2 cups rice
1 cup boiling water or stock


Sauce:
In a saucepan, heat together:
3/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups tomato juice, tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
chopped celery leaves
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper or crushed chilis to taste

Bring sauce to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes

Browned onions:
Heat in small skillet:
2 T. oil
Saute over medium heat until brown:
3 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced


To serve, put rice-lentil mixture on a platter. Pour tomato sauce over. Top with browned onions. (and if you are me, throw a dollop of yogurt on top of all that!).

It may look complicated, but it's actually really easy. You can make all 3 of the "parts" pretty much concurrently so that they are ready at the same time. By the way, when I lived in Mali we used to hang out with one of the Egyptian diplomats who worked at the embassy and I made this for his birthday dinner. It got his seal of approval for "authenticity". Enjoy!
__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
redhotswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Waiting for this madness to end.
Posts: 5,846
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4
Kusherie Recipe
(from my beloved More-with-Less Cookbook: suggestions by Mennonites on how to eat better and consume less of the world's limited food resources)

Rice and lentils:
Heat in heavy saucepan or covered skillet:
2 T. oil
Add:
1 1/4 cup lentils
Brown lentils over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add:
3 cups boiling water or stock (stock gets my vote, more flavor)
1 t. salt
dash of pepper

Cook uncovered 10 minutes over medium heat.
Stir in:
1 1/2 cups rice
1 cup boiling water or stock


Sauce:
In a saucepan, heat together:
3/4 cup tomato paste
3 cups tomato juice, tomato sauce or pureed tomatoes
1 green pepper, chopped
chopped celery leaves
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. cayenne pepper or crushed chilis to taste

Bring sauce to boiling, reduce heat, and simmer 20-30 minutes

Browned onions:
Heat in small skillet:
2 T. oil
Saute over medium heat until brown:
3 onions, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced


To serve, put rice-lentil mixture on a platter. Pour tomato sauce over. Top with browned onions. (and if you are me, throw a dollop of yogurt on top of all that!).

It may look complicated, but it's actually really easy. You can make all 3 of the "parts" pretty much concurrently so that they are ready at the same time. By the way, when I lived in Mali we used to hang out with one of the Egyptian diplomats who worked at the embassy and I made this for his birthday dinner. It got his seal of approval for "authenticity". Enjoy!
thank you soooo much!
__________________
redhotswami is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
sulawesigirl4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,416
Local Time: 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by redhotswami


thank you soooo much!
you're very welcome. if you end up making it, let me know how it turns out!
__________________

__________________
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono

sulawesigirl4 is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com