how often do you cook your own dinner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
cooking about 4 times a week

And oh, can you cook!?!?!?! :drool: Damn, I think you made some of the best Italian food I've ever had! :up:

As for myself, I love to cook, but if I don't plan ahead (make a list of menu ideas, buy the right groceries, etc.) I tend to get lazy. Tonite I had crackers, cheese and turkey pepperoni for dinner. :D I do like to make homemade bread and granola and stuff, but I usually do it on the weekends when I have more time.

5/7x a week I cook dinner.
Take out for lunch a couple times a week, mostly for lunch I grab a slice of pizza.

How often I go out for dinner with friends etc in a week varies greatly from week to week, but a week at home would see me cook maybe 5 or 6 times. I rarely get take out, but would probably eat out on average a couple of times a week. Usually on weekends. 4 out of 5 days a week I also make my lunch at home and take it to work. I work in a tourist heavy area of Sydney (the Rocks for the natives), and as it's tourist heavy, everything is a rip off. Charge a fortune just for a sandwhich. Fridays I leave free for loooong liquid lunches with co workers.

I usually make something for myself if I'm at home (though it's usually something really fast and easy because I am don't know how to/don't like to cook). If i'm at work I eat out about half the time (i work retail so my hours are always different). Eating out all of the time is way too expensive.

Usually 4 nights a week, than on the 5th night it is left over night. Although left over night always gets one of those Ah Oh's not left overs. We go out to eat on the weekend either a Friday or Saturday and the other day is just throw something quick together. Sunday is pizza day usually.

our intention is to cook at home every night but that doesn't always happen. i would say we cook at least 4-5 nights a week and go out the other nights depending on our schedule. i like to cook and therefore Caron gets to clean. :up: Works good for us.

I prepare almost all my food myself.

For lunch I usually have fruit and cheese, and for dinner chicken and veg or salad. My veg are usually raw so really the only thing I have to cook is the chicken and I broil a few days worth at a time.

On weekends I usually have something frozen but ovenable - calzone, mini moussaka or something Indian etc. In the summer I tend to do everything on the BBQ, so veggies sometimes get grilled then.

Often on a Friday or Saturday, like Earnie, I will forgo dinner for liquids :wink:

I eat out/take out maybe once or twice a month. The amount of time I spend working doesn't allow for much eating out which is fine with me.

We go out for dinner or buy fast food about once every three or four weeks, and eat frozen food (like a pie or chips and sausages) once or twice a week, but even that still takes a bit of cooking because we eat vegetables (and often a seasoned fried rice) with every meal. My husband does most of the cooking and nearly all of the washing up, though, because I suffer from kitchen rage. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Although we try to eat at home as much as possible, it doesn't always work out that way. We hit Trader Joes about once a week to find some easy meals to cook...and go out to eat when we are on our way to Trader Joes. :D

I have seen a commercial recently that makes me sad. It is for KFC. the mother yells "Dinner" and the kids race for the mini-van and buckle themselves in - running right by the kitchen (that just happens to have KFC on the table). It felt wrong on two levels.

I agree with Yolland and the concept of family meals...the cost of meals with children and eating out, and the importance of teaching cooking skills. But then again, I do not have kids.

It is yet another societal shift.

I always have good intentions. Weekly trip to grocery store yields large basket of fresh vegetables, bread and cheeses, variety of fish and meat.
Id be lucky if 1/3 of the things we buy make it to the table during the week. Schedules are just not conducive to cooking nice meals.
Trying to juggle work, kids, homework, 4 nights a week I dont get in the door until 8:00, and by that time my mind doesnt want to start preparing and cutting vegetables, peeling potatotes, and then preparing fish, chicken or what haveyou - by the time it would be ready it would be 10:00, and I cant eat that late at night

:lol:

end result,weekly fridge purge of good intention food. :|

5-7 nights a week, we eat at home. When Ernie lived by himself, he ate every meal out. There was literally no food in his apartment. I had to pack a snack when I went to visit him, or else I had to walk across the street to the gas station. :lol:

Bonochick said:
5-7 nights a week, we eat at home. When Ernie lived by himself, he ate every meal out. There was literally no food in his apartment. I had to pack a snack when I went to visit him, or else I had to walk across the street to the gas station. :lol:

well when Ken had his place, he had lots of canned stuff (like chef boyardee) and lots of frozen pizzas, hotdogs. you'd open the fridge and see ketchup, mustard and relish. and diet Pepsi. and he had practically NO real dishes. everything was plastic...silverware, cups, plates, bowls. I had to buy myself a bowl at target when I wanted cereal and real food. :lol:

I cook every night. It's cheaper to cook for myself than to eat out.

I pack my own lunch every morning. I avoid school cafeteria food at all costs. It can be really yummy but it's so bad for you. :(

My mother cooks dinner every night, and we have chinese/japanese/indian take-out every 2-3 weeks on the weekends.

My parents are health-freaks. :shrug:

I almost always cook dinner. Don't really get take-out often - if I'm not cooking, it's because I'm eating out at a restaurant. I also make breakfast at home and probably make lunch at home 50% of the time.

I generally try to cook enough food so I can have dinner and take leftovers to work. I hate sandwiches and things like that, and while I hate cooking, it saves a whole lot of money when you buy yourself a pound of lentils for 69 cents and it lasts you forever. Great meal too.

We really only have take out/ go out for dinner once or MAYBE twice a week - most other nights I cook, or if I'm working, hubby will cook himself something.
I don't mind cooking, and think its a waste of money to get take away every night.
Not to mention the health benefits of knowing what is actually going into your body!!

Back
Top Bottom