How much of a pain in the ass is it to fly nowadays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I haven't flown overseas in a dozen years, and I haven't flown domestically in 4 years. I'm not over 60 and obviously harmless, so I know I won't get searched too much. (Two older women I know have been searched multiple times, and a rather swarthy male friend of mine rediscovered a large knife in his bag when he arrived in NY after flying 'cross country.)

What I want to know is this: should I wear easily removeable clothing so the random felons who work for the screening agency can search me? Or will the flowered panties I pack make it to my destination still folded?

I'd wear slide on shoes, just in case they made you take your shoes off. I had to do that when flying to NJ last year.

I've flown multiple times since 9/11, and have noticed a bit of a difference, but not that much. I did notice that when my mom and I were boarding the plane to NY last month, a man with a long beard and a robe was taken off to the side and someone was speaking to him like he was being questioned. :|

you'll be okay martha. just pack everything and check it through. if you are taking carry on, just make sure there is nothing sharp in there. since i usually fly out of long beach, its walk through only 45 minutes before the flight. its the bigger airports that make you take your shoes off and any outer clothing. just put everything in the little bin and you'll be fine.

and, where are you going without me? :eyebrow:

I think the two keys to flying these days, are to get there early and be prepared to wait.

Keep everything in perspective. I would rather be slightly inconvenienced and have to take a little extra time going though security if it means that flying is safer.

I flew out to America back in July, as I was intending to go out to FLorida and live, and I got interrogated by airport security despite the fact that I have American citizenship aswell as British citizenship. It was humiliating, and I know that they have to do it, but I felt like I was being put on trial for murder. I don't like flying anyway - my doctor had to prescribe me some sedatives so that I wouldn't be awake during the flight. It was an awful experience.

They say not to pack any wrapped gifts.

One time my little boy who was three at the time packed a crow bar in my husbands carry on. We did not know that he did that. My husband was questioned for having a blunt opbject weapon and they confiscated the crow bar. My three year old did not know any better . He was just helping Daddy pack.

You will get searched.

Otherwise, the TSA might get accused of profiling young arab men. :wink:

Actually, you should be fine. Try to simplify what you carry-on and be prepared to shift items you carry on your person (cell phones, etc.) to a bag for the security screening.

I'll tell you my secret (not really a secret but it works), I remove everything...EVERYTHING LOOSE ...and throw it into the bin for X-rays...I put my jacket, ballcap, keys, belt and I have thrown shoes in...nothing in my hands, no baggy clothes...I've never had a problem..I walk right through and out...and then I chuckle when the little old lady from Pasadena gets thrown up against the wall...!

I realize that I've jinxed myself for Toronto but what the hell....I've got nothing to hide...and I've got time on my side...'cause I always get to the airport 2+ hours early....good luck.

I walk through TSA screening almost daily now (really, I could if I wanted to).

People who get extra screening: selectees. (and it is a random selection - nothing to worry about - unless they do not know how to repack your bag carry-on :angry: ).

Here is the key to passing the TSA mag-ometer thingy: don't have anything metal on you! Coins pass through fine. 50% of my shoes are fine. Remove your belt and jewlery (DON'T PACK or WEAR jewlery, put it in a carry-on). AND, don't touch the sides of the mag-ometer thingy. If you "beep" you will have a second chance!

Traveling "international" through a domestic airport is no different than traveling domestic.

martha said:
Good thing the screws are out of my feet! :lol:

:lol:

The wires in my sternum have set off the metal detectors!

My scar usually convinces them but I've had my chest wanded more than once :sexywink:

I flew up North around the holidays without any problem, searches or waiting. I packed a carry-on bag with the essentials plus a few small, unwrapped gifts. I flew on Delta, so I was able to check-in for my flight online and print my own boarding pass. I literally walked in the door of the airport, went up the stairs, showed security my boarding pass, threw my bag on the conveyer belt to be x-rayed (wasn't inspected), walked through the detector (I wasn't searched), grabbed my bag and went to my plane. It was the easiest, quickest experience I've ever had (guess I got lucky?). Getting off the plane and to my car was just as quick and hassle free, because I hadn't checked anything that I had to wait for...only to find it didn't make the flight or had gotten lost,damaged, etc.

I flew abroad in September.

My friend, flying with me, was told to take her belt off (they were inspecting the metal buckles on it).

I had a women's Gillette razor in my carry on (I didn't pack the blades until that morning, as I'd bought a brand new pack and totally forgot to put them in my check in luggage). They didn't even notice.

Belts: dangerous. Razor blades: a-okay.

Personally, I've always found the check in procedures in Europe to be much more secure (and longer). That hasn't changed - it will still take you longer to check in London or Frankfurt than it will in Chicago, for example.

oh yeah, when i flew home from vegas, i casually mentioned that i had matches in my CHECKED luggage. they made me take them out and it was okay for me to put them in my carry on bag along with my small aerosol hairspray! can anyone say big flame??? :|

meegannie said:
Last Christmas I got searched because the underwire in my bra set off the metal detectors.

Yeah, I have heard not to wear underwires.

Particularly since it gives them a chance to do a more intimate search.... :yikes:

I flew to Italy this summer, and had several flight-experiences from hell because weather delayed our flight to Detroit, hence we missed the flight to Rome. As a result, our luggage was lost. My mom's didn't show for 5 days. Plus, we had to hurriedly find connecting flights. We discovered, via a newspaper article, that this year has been the worst for luggage problems and flight delays because of bad luck and the air traffic is back up to pre-Sept. 11 levels.

I suggest that you:

1) Get a TSA-approved lock for your suitcase. It is a black lock with a dot that shows red if an inspector has opened it. It is important that you get a TSA lock b/c they have a device to open that lock and (hopefully) put it back on.

2) Pack a couple days worth of essentials (i.e. underwear and deodorant) in your carry-on in case of luggage mishaps.

3) Check to make sure that all your items are in your suitcase immediately. I've read stories of people losing valuable items because the inspectors grabbed the wrong things and put them in the wrong suitcase.

4) Yes, underwires will set off the security wand, but usually not the metal detector. My mom had an Army guy at LaGuardia check her lipstick container.

5) And a general tip....motion sickness medicine makes life so much better. :wink:

pianorocker said:

3) Check to make sure that all your items are in your suitcase immediately. I've read stories of people losing valuable items because the inspectors grabbed the wrong things and put them in the wrong suitcase.

4) Yes, underwires will set off the security wand, but usually not the metal detector. My mom had an Army guy at LaGuardia check her lipstick container.

I feel so much more secure thanks to these stories and the others. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom