How much of a pain in the ass is it to fly nowadays? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:49 PM
i thought you had that done on a regular basis!

Old 10-30-2004, 11:49 AM   #17
War Child

Local Time: 06:49 PM
I flew up North around the holidays without any problem, searches or waiting. I packed a carry-on bag with the essentials plus a few small, unwrapped gifts. I flew on Delta, so I was able to check-in for my flight online and print my own boarding pass. I literally walked in the door of the airport, went up the stairs, showed security my boarding pass, threw my bag on the conveyer belt to be x-rayed (wasn't inspected), walked through the detector (I wasn't searched), grabbed my bag and went to my plane. It was the easiest, quickest experience I've ever had (guess I got lucky?). Getting off the plane and to my car was just as quick and hassle free, because I hadn't checked anything that I had to wait for...only to find it didn't make the flight or had gotten lost,damaged, etc.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:58 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 PM
Last Christmas I got searched because the underwire in my bra set off the metal detectors.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I flew abroad in September.

My friend, flying with me, was told to take her belt off (they were inspecting the metal buckles on it).

I had a women's Gillette razor in my carry on (I didn't pack the blades until that morning, as I'd bought a brand new pack and totally forgot to put them in my check in luggage). They didn't even notice.

Belts: dangerous. Razor blades: a-okay.

Personally, I've always found the check in procedures in Europe to be much more secure (and longer). That hasn't changed - it will still take you longer to check in London or Frankfurt than it will in Chicago, for example.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:34 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

oh yeah, when i flew home from vegas, i casually mentioned that i had matches in my CHECKED luggage. they made me take them out and it was okay for me to put them in my carry on bag along with my small aerosol hairspray! can anyone say big flame???
Old 10-30-2004, 03:07 PM   #21
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie
Last Christmas I got searched because the underwire in my bra set off the metal detectors.
Yeah, I have heard not to wear underwires.

Particularly since it gives them a chance to do a more intimate search....
Old 10-30-2004, 07:27 PM   #22
Acrobat

I flew to Italy this summer, and had several flight-experiences from hell because weather delayed our flight to Detroit, hence we missed the flight to Rome. As a result, our luggage was lost. My mom's didn't show for 5 days. Plus, we had to hurriedly find connecting flights. We discovered, via a newspaper article, that this year has been the worst for luggage problems and flight delays because of bad luck and the air traffic is back up to pre-Sept. 11 levels.

I suggest that you:

1) Get a TSA-approved lock for your suitcase. It is a black lock with a dot that shows red if an inspector has opened it. It is important that you get a TSA lock b/c they have a device to open that lock and (hopefully) put it back on.

2) Pack a couple days worth of essentials (i.e. underwear and deodorant) in your carry-on in case of luggage mishaps.

3) Check to make sure that all your items are in your suitcase immediately. I've read stories of people losing valuable items because the inspectors grabbed the wrong things and put them in the wrong suitcase.

4) Yes, underwires will set off the security wand, but usually not the metal detector. My mom had an Army guy at LaGuardia check her lipstick container.

5) And a general tip....motion sickness medicine makes life so much better.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #23
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by pianorocker

3) Check to make sure that all your items are in your suitcase immediately. I've read stories of people losing valuable items because the inspectors grabbed the wrong things and put them in the wrong suitcase.

4) Yes, underwires will set off the security wand, but usually not the metal detector. My mom had an Army guy at LaGuardia check her lipstick container.

I feel so much more secure thanks to these stories and the others.