how much do you pay for DSL/Cable internet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trevster2k

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I am getting gouged up here in the north. I pay 59.95/month for DSL service. There is a bandwidth limit of 10 gig after which you pay $10 for every gig over the limit. I think it is outrageous but we have no other providers. The limit was put in place in May. They sent out a letter stating that only 15% of users were excessive bandwidth users while most never even used 5 gig/month so their solution was to cap us at 10gig even though they stated most never use 5 gig. So what's the problem? If most hardly use the service, why put in a cap? They said their service was being degraded by the high bandwidth usage which most people don't use. Simply a money grab.

Oh yeah, they charge $100 bucks to install the bloody thing too.

I have no alternative since the web is basically my link to the world. But those morons at Northwestel are determined to limit our service. What blows my mind is that EVERYTHING is online now. TV, music, videos, online gaming, multimedia,information, filesharing, communication and so on yet this company sends out letters suggesting methods of limiting bandwidth usage by not doing the previously mentioned activities. Yet every tv show,every commercial, every guest on a program has "go to our website" blurb.

Umm, we have cable internet too but IT'S OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY!! It costs 49.95 / month and $15 for every gig over the limit.

What is really frustrating is how they market the whole thing, high speed, connected all the time, explore multimedia and surprise, we highly recommend you don't use to much bandwidth or you pay through the nose. The marketing should be "get high speed and maximize your cap quicker so we can rip you off."

So I am planning on writing a FU letter and need some comparison numbers to tell them about other services.

Sorry about the rant but the rest of the free world had to know.

I have a Cox package that includes high speed internet, digital cable with HBO & Cinemax and phone which includes statewide calling free anytime unlimited for $105/mo

We don't have it at the moment, but my dad is thinking about getting a package from CenturyTel that would get cable TV, phone service (including long distance), and 1.5 GB DSL for $90-ish per month.

I have Earthlink cable which is currently $29.95 per month (for the first 6 months) then goes to the regular rate of $41.95 per month (all figures USD) for service up to 5.0 Mbps.

Installation was free and the usage is unlimited. There are faster cable connections, but since I can download a song in a matter of seconds with this I don't need any more.

SBC DSL, the 3Mbps speed (unlimited use), $21.99/mo. It used to be more b/c a price contract the previous renters had ran out, so I called and said I was moving, then my housemate called and said she just moved in, and they gave her a new contract w/ a better rate. I've also got a wireless router, so we have wireless for the laptops as well as wired access to 12 ports (5 people living in the house, 2 open ports in the living room, so plenty for all).

I know TDS DSL is cheaper in this area ($14.99/mo), but they require a 24 -month contract which doesn't work when you're a college student with only one semester left. Comcast has a monopoly on cable service and their cable internet prices are higher than SBC DSL.

Last edited:
I pay $37 and that includes tax and a stand alone line through the phone co. My brother works for a company that provides internet service so I get that for free. :drool: Otherwise that would be about another $15-20 a month.

I think $46.95 Cdn for Cable, 6.0 Mbps (very nice!), unlimited use.

Well worth it!

Wow, I thought prices would be better but some are approximately the same.

Followup question, do you have a bandwidth cap on your service?

Thanks for the response,btw.

trevster2k said:
Wow, I thought prices would be better but some are approximately the same.

Followup question, do you have a bandwidth cap on your service?

Thanks for the response,btw.

Never seen it mentioned, so I think not.

Here in Finland, my broadband DSL is 512kbit/s and costs 24.90 euros per month, which is by far not the cheapest there is here but is the only provider (i.e.DNA) for my part of the country! There's no cap. and the installation was free and I even got a free printer/scanner/photocopier from the provider.:D

Back
Top Bottom