how many of you have been to Singapore?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I went there in a dream once... and I woke up with a smile on my face.

This is one of those stories where you have to make an intellectual, or rather, juvenile leap.

:up:

^^^^ LoL!! "Pirates of the Caribbean!" I love that movie :wave:

EDIT: Sorry yertle, but I haven't been to Singapore :huh: Why do you ask? I know someone who used to live there, though :drunk:

Last edited:
because I live there and I'd like to find out what the general tourist's impression is.

I never ever got that joke. However I had to laugh along with the rest of the cinema hall to avoid looking silly. care to explain it, anyone?

Unfortunately there's a large stigma about drugs and prostitution (general frivolity) that pervades... a lot of jokes and movies seem to play on that, even though the foundations of the assumptions are terribly ill-placed.

On behalf of the world, I apologize.

Justice!

:up:

terrific , although very warm , but nice , clean , very modern , and those freakin hotels , it's like one big zoo tv , and kfc's all over the place

Turtle, dear turtle. I only know people who have done stopovers at Changi. Also what might be urban legends. Like it being illegal to walk down the street eating, that you have to stand by a vending machine to consume food etc. Littering is also illegal (like it is anywhere but for some reason it is highlighted in the 'possible myths' of Singapore) but is actually upheld as a crime. You have one of the lowest crime rates, it is extremely clean, you have compulsory curfews etc etc etc....How wrong/right are these?

well, flogging is reserved usually for rapists, molesters or vandals. if you spit in the street, that's a fine, although i've seen many people do it.

it is not illegal to walk down the street eating.

we have a low crime rate, but that hasn't stopped the police from putting out a LOW CRIME MEANS NO CRIME advert.

littering is a crime, because quite frankly it's not right. punishments are fine and corrective work order, which means you wear a yellow jersey and clean up a public area for a few hours.

as far as i know it is not an offence to not stand by a vending machine to eat.

clean depends on where you go. generally the touristy areas = clean. in residential areas there's a 'cleanest estate' competition which i think is paying off well.

compulsory curfews were only enforced in the 1960s due to rioting, there aren't any now so there is no need for any. however, certain people during the sars outbreak were ordered to quarantine themselves at home for 10 days to prevent it's spread.

It sounds so ordered and calm.

Why are the military armed to the eyeballs in your airports? Is a machine gun necessary to control drug trafficking and illegal visa hoppers?

Sorry for my ignorance. I am genuinely interested though.

i too have heard singapore has strict laws ..suppose you go there on a tourist visa, and you forget your passport at your hotel room, & if the policeman asks your passport..& if you dont produce it immediately..you are hand-cuffed and put in jail...

thats what i have heard.

:|

I went there when I was 7. From that visit I just remember visiting Sentosa Island, riding on those water bicycles in a lagoon, and drinking lychee juice at breakfast.

When I was 16, and again when I was 18, I stopped over at Changi. Nice, clean, comfortable airport ... the best place to sleep if your flight gets delayed!

Back
Top Bottom