How many of you guys are in a band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeloo

War Child
I have seen lots of people here mention their band. So tell us, who is in a band, and what instrument do you play? What genre of music do you specialize in, how has U2 influenced you, and what are your dreams and goals? If you are not in a band yet but play something please respond anyway. Thank you!

Bass guitar, since 1988.
Learned by listening to Adam.... but a lot of that is in my "who is I" intro thing...
I play too many damn instruments actually...
bagpipe, didgeridoo, drums, jazz and classical horn, saz (Middle Eastern longnecked lute), vox, some kb... blah!

I started playing drums when I was about 8 (1977) and quit when I was 11 because I thought I wasn't any good. (damn parents let me quit too!) I picked the drums up again on my 19th birthday when I bought a set of Ludwigs for myself and then put them away once again when I was 21 to start fronting my then band. (It seems my back up vocals were more noticed than our lead singers, so I was asked to step forward from behind the drumset and be lead singer-the other guy was subsequently fired.) From there I became Lead vocalist in another band for about 4 years and played the entire L.A. circuit and even signed to an indy label affiliated with Interscope. That wound up detonating shortly after I got married in 1997, I then had a dry spell for a couple of years while I recovered from having spinal surgery.

Currently, I'm Bono in a U2 tribute band here in the L.A. area, but I still play the drums just about every week at my church.

My tribute band is called "One Tree Hill" and we just started to put our show together and have been working on it for the past several months. We are going to play our first gig on St. Patty's Day this coming March. Any So. Cal's out there, please come check us out. (I'll announce it on the Gatherings forum) I guarantee you're not going to find a better sound-alike Bono and I do look quite a bit like him when I'm in all the gear. (but please, come judge for yourself!)

I'm 34 yrs old now and I have found that I really don't want to be a part of the music industry any longer and just want to have fun playing good music now. I've wanted to do the U2 tribute thing since I started singing in bands and I've found my opportunity so I am taking it.

Right now, I fiddle with the harmonica, enough to know how to play "Running to Stand Still", "Desire", and "Trip Through Your Wires". I am in the works to learn guitar, although I'm a lefty which makes it a little more difficult to get a decent guitar and learn.

Well that's about it, probably more info than you asked for but I was bored at work.

Sorry!

Jason

hehe, I use to be a cover band back in high school, mostly old school metal, hard rock like Black Sabbath, Zeppelin, AC/DC stuff like that.
That was years ago fun times :wink:

I play guitar... I like to think I can play well.
I sing - in private... I like to think I can sing well. :rolleyes:

I would absolutely love to be in a band though. If only I could round up some other members...

Round up a band with other members here, wouldn't that be cool? The band could go down in history as being formed on a message board!

It must be so frustrating to want to be in a band and not have anyone you know in town want to or do your type of music.

I play bass in my local band: Irish Society Club

does not do very much began the tests, some covers, some original songs

our kind of music... I might define it as very elegant pop, better known as brit pop

Leeloo said:

It must be so frustrating to want to be in a band and not have anyone you know in town want to or do your type of music.

oh God. you have no idea....
Well who'm I to say that, maybe you do! :silent:

but yeah. it gets to where you're clawing at the walls to get some other people who you can work with around you. Right now I'm looking at an hours' trip to go rehearse with an old bandmate from high school just to bloody GET OUT AND PLAY... :hyper:

wolfeden said:

oh God. you have no idea....
Well who'm I to say that, maybe you do! :silent:

but yeah. it gets to where you're clawing at the walls to get some other people who you can work with around you. Right now I'm looking at an hours' trip to go rehearse with an old bandmate from high school just to bloody GET OUT AND PLAY... :hyper:

Hey Wolfeden! I feel your pain, I currently drive 72 miles one way to get to rehearsal. It's in the L.A. area, so depending on traffic conditions it can take me up to 3 hours to get there. Gotta do it though, the love of playing music and being in a band far overpowers the pain of sitting in L.A. traffic. You'll find that when you find your perfect bandmates, you will do just about anything to make your band happen and successful.

Good luck!

Jason.

I was wondering whether to respond or rather, how to respond to this.
Am I in a band? I think so.
I am married to a professional musician...I suppose I am the 5th member...or 4th or 6th, depending on how many are in the band at the time. For the past 23 years I have been like a cross between Paul McGuiness, Anton Corbijn and Ali Hewson....and just lately I've been doing more roadie work, so whatever they may be called, lenny and denny?
For the past decade he also works at a recording studio as an engineer and now he works at a Contemporary Music College, so now I'm a music critic and cup o' tea maker as well:)
I play guitar and sing too, legend in my, and a few of my friends loungerooms. I have a few loyal fans:D
So music and being around the local band scene is my life, but I get serious stage fright. I avoid it. I lurk up the back, watching and being the goffer.
It's been a lot of fun...a few dramas , but mostly genuinely good honest fun.

I am in a band with my brother and two of my friends. I play guitar, my brother plays bass, my friend plays drums and his brother plays guitar. Its awesome, we've recorded some stuff too. I'm thinking of flooding the internet with our music

Back
Top Bottom