How many hours a day/week do you watch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angela Harlem

Jesus Online
...Of TV generally, I mean. I'm not a fabulously super busy person with an exciting life, but I'm buggered if I can find a regular spare hour or so a day to watch TV. Plus, there's remembering a specific time slot on a particular day of the week, etc. I'm like an axolotl in this regard.

How much do you guys all do a day/week? Must be nice to sit down and relax regularly.
:(

Very few. I would say less than 5-6 hours a week.

But I have the TV on a lot in the background when I'm cooking or whatever, just because I can't stand silence.

I watch telly while I eat my breakfast so that's about 20 mins in the morning. When I get home from work, around 6:30, the tv goes on and stays on til I go to sleep around 10:30. So that's around 4 and a half hrs:shifty:

on the weekend it's on for most of the day. I don't watch it all day but I like the noise:shrug:

maybe 1-2 hours a day, max. i usually keep it on in the background (like i have the news on right now but it's on mute) but there's only about five shows per week i actually watch.

Too many. :(

I don't have a lot of shows I watch regularly, but I often have it on as background noise. Why I don't pop in a CD or two instead, I can't explain.

maybe over the course of a year it would average out to 1-1.5 hrs/week.

I had a guest over a few weeks ago who wanted to watch tv. I had to call the helpdesk to figure out how to get the little digi box thing to work, this was after I'd spent 10 minutes with the manual :mortified:

I've cut back sharply on TV watching this season. I've got enough other things going on, and I don't think the quality of the programming is that high these days.

There are a few shows I won't give up: The Amazing Race, Survivor, The Office (whenever it returns). And a couple of Cable TV shows I enjoy, like Dexter and Curb Your Enthusiasm (but their seasons are short). And I'll continue with Lost a while longer.

I've started to spend more time with podcasts, both audio and video -- about hobbies or professional interests. There's some really good stuff out there, and I often find it a much better use of my time to watch or listen to things that are so tailored to my interests.

I also watch sports -- MLB playoffs (when my teams are playing), NFL, a little bit of basketball. But a lot of days, I watch no TV at all.

During hockey season, 8-10 or so. No hockey, 3-5. I'd say 4 hours a week on average. I don't watch much in the summer at all. And so far this month I've probably logged 10 hours, almost all hockey. My DVR has a backlog.

it's on every night, I admit that. but like others have said, I'm doing other things while I watch/have it on in the background. lately I've been watching more Wheel of Fortune and Deal or No Deal. as far as regular shows though, there's hardly anything I watch religiously now.

When I get home from work, if I dont go out, the TV is on all night. So I guess I'd say about 4 hours a day.

I watch about 1 hour a week. There's only one show I watch these days. But does this include popping in a DVD? If so then I'd bump that up to 3 hours a week. I try to watch one movie each week. Gotta make good use of the netflix!

Bonochick said:
Tons...but I often do other stuff while watching too.

Me too. I find that if I just sit on the couch while watching TV or a movie, it's very likely I'll be asleep within an hour. I usually end up giving only half my attention to the show or movie and do stuff online, because it keeps me awake.

It's possible that's both sad AND pathetic, but I'm okay with that. :wink:

That's not as uncommon as I thought. I know loads of people who are on instant messenger, playing music, talk on the phone, etc. while watching movies or tv at home. I really can't do that myself. I have to multi-task at work, so I don't wanna do that at home when I can unwind and shut down.

i have the TV on usually from about 8pm til 12am....but actually sitting and watching an entire show..maybe 1-2 hours per day....and sometimes I fall asleep while watching something.. HAHA

It's hard to say, I almost always have it on in the background and may be doing something else but not necessarily watching.

Football season increases the hours I watch, because Sundays I am glued to the TV.

The only shows I watch regularly are NBC Nightly News ( :nerd: ) and Last One Standing on the Discovery Channel ( :drool: )

I don't like silence, and I usually turn the TV on when I come home to catch the local news or maybe a Simpsons rerun, and then laziness sets in, and I leave it on instead of tossing a CD in.

I'm proud to say, however, that tonight I turned the TV off after an hour or so and listened to music instead.

I see. Thanks for the answer Cori. What is it about silence that you don't like and have to have something else going on instead? Anyone else? I know there are a lot of people who have the TV for background and it's almost like they don't know what to do with themselves without it or music if it is quiet. I genuinely don't understand this so I'm curious. I don't want to derail Angela's thread so feel free to drop an answer into the bar.

I've never really thought about it, but I just don't care for silence when I'm in my apartment.

It really depends on where I am - if I'm hanging out on the beach or hanging out somewhere amazingly beautiful in nature, then I want silence just to BE there, you know?

But at home, I need some sort of mumble in the background. In college, both my roommate and I found it easier to concentrate if there was soft music in the background.

I watch very little tv -- occasionally I will check out the weather forcast if I remember when it's on (but I can find it online so that is rare) or occasionally check the traffic report if I'm going out early, but I have no programs I watch even somewhat regularly. I do have the tv on much of the day however, as my aunt (who has downs syndrome) likes to watch it. I'm not often in that room though (she doesn't like me intruding into her space) but it has an open double door so I do sometimes hear it in the background.

corianderstem said:
I don't like silence, and I usually turn the TV on when I come home to catch the local news or maybe a Simpsons rerun, and then laziness sets in, and I leave it on instead of tossing a CD in.

I'm proud to say, however, that tonight I turned the TV off after an hour or so and listened to music instead.
Aww, I do the same thing, actually. With me, it's usually streaming radio more often than not. I like to have some kind of background noise, and it's usually the BBC World Service or soemthing. I have a laptop, but the most complicated work it usually does is being a portable radio around my apartment on the wireless internet :lol:

Back
Top Bottom