How many here have played a gig before?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
My band has just been offered its first gig (not sure if we can do it, as it's next weekend, too soon to get everything together properly), and I'm curious to see how some of you feel about playing live, how you prepare, etc. I've played in front of people many times, both full band and acoustic, just never with my own material. :slant:

If you believe in your work, you'll do fine. I've played for years. I'm usually nervous up until the first note out of my voice then I'm fine.

Everyone's different as far as how they prepare, it will take awhile before you figure that out. And everyone feels underprepared at times.

The one thing I have learned is you'll have good and bad nights, that's a given, and you are your hardest critic(if you aren't then there may be something wrong).:lol: But I have found that my bad nights were when I found myself being overly conscious of the audience. If that happens just close your eyes and play or sing like you did when you first wrote that song. Put yourself in the song, that's all you can do. If that doesn't work, then the song doesn't work, at least for that moment.

Good luck to you.

Ah, thank you BVS. :) I figured you were a musician, since some of your pics in the photo thread are of you onstage.

The thought of playing in front of a few hundred people is both thrilling and incredibly frightening. Probably best not to think about the latter.

There's nothing worse than playing to an empty room, remember that. If you're playing in a small room, all the better. More people, less space = more awesomeness and peace of mind.

Lancemc said:
There's nothing worse than playing to an empty room, remember that. If you're playing in a small room, all the better. More people, less space = more awesomeness and peace of mind.

True that. I have no advice, but I have indeed "played a gig," as the thread title asks. If you want advice from my ass, though, then you're beyond help. Seriously. Good luck.

Lancemc said:
There's nothing worse than playing to an empty room, remember that.

:lol:

This reminds me of a show I played when I first started out. I got asked to take place of someone who backed out at the last minute, I had 2 hours to prepare for the gig...

I played in front of 2 people and the guy sweeping the floor. I shit you not, but at least he bopped his head along with the songs while he swept. I just closed my eyes and imagined more people.

Turns out the couple that was there were just starting up a club so I got invited to play a lot of their shows and ended up having a regular gig there for awhile until I moved... so you never know.

Back
Top Bottom