How long does it take for antibiotics to work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meegannie

Blue Crack Addict
I looked online and it said that strep throat (if that's what I have) isn't contagious after 24 hours, but how long does it take until the stupid swollen tonsils go away and I stop feeling like crap?

meegannie said:
I looked online and it said that strep throat (if that's what I have) isn't contagious after 24 hours, but how long does it take until the stupid swollen tonsils go away and I stop feeling like crap?

IF? that's what you have? I thought you went to the doctor? How did you get antibiotics then?

:confused:

You should seem some improvement by the third day - the full course of medications is 10 days. If there is no improvement after five days, definitely call your doctor again.

Re: Re: How long does it take for antibiotics to work?

Sicy said:

IF? that's what you have? I thought you went to the doctor? How did you get antibiotics then?

:confused:

They had to send the throat culture thing off, but they gave me antibiotics anyway, assuming it's strep throat. I really won't know for sure until this afternoon when they get the test results back.

That's weird. Same thing happened to me except they prescribed the antibiotics but told me not to take them until they had the results back.

You never said if you had white spots on your tonsils or not.

I took my antibiotics for 4 days when I had infections :hmm: weird

If you make sure you are taking the med correctly, because I don't know what type of Augmentin it is, you should begin to feel better in a day or two. FININSH ALL OF THE MEDICATION EVEN IF YOU FEEL BETTER.
Note: It is best to take this medicine at the beginning of a meal or snack.
* If you are using the chewable tablets, make sure to chew the tablet completely before swallowing.
* Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup. Shake the medicine well just before measuring each dose.
Every person has veriable absorption kinetics, meaning they work differently for everybody.
Like what the others were asking, did you get diagnosed with strep?
If it is a virus it will just run its course. Drink plenty of fluids. Garggle w/ salt water. This creats an osmotic potential and will draw fluid and swelling from the infected area and relieve pain. Take Tylenol also. This will help you with the pain plus it will act as a fever reducer if you have one. About 650mg every 4 to 6 hours but DON'T go over 4000 mg or 4.0gms in a day.
Some of the sprays can help with the pain but they don't last very long.

Good Luck:)

Thanks! :) The results from my throat culture won't be in until tomorrow :)mad:), and they didn't do the quick test thing there, so I don't know if I have strep or not. I hate taking the antibiotics when I don't know for sure, but I'm doing it anyway. I'm allergic to Tylenol, so I've been taking tons of ibuprofen. My stomach is :huh: now, though. :slant:

Ibuprofen is the next best thing:) But, just know that taking ibuprofen with food(yogurt) or milk may keep your stomach from getting too upset but if you use it for too long it can lead to ulcer formation, taken with food or not. Just be carefull:)

gherman said:
Ibuprofen is the next best thing:) But, just know that taking ibuprofen with food(yogurt) or milk may keep your stomach from getting too upset but if you use it for too long it can lead to ulcer formation, taken with food or not. Just be carefull:)

:ohmy: Thanks for that information. I guess I should lay off the ibuprofen for a while since I've been eating it like candy recently. :shifty:

Yeah you should.. I dont know exactly what caused it but remember my brother had two ulcers while he was at stanford and started throwing up blood. He needed an emergency operation. :| I know he was on tons of medication though.

gherman said:

Pharmacy question for ya: are there any OTC cox-2 inhibitors available for humans? We've got a few veterinary ones that we use, and I wonder if people take them too, maybe under a different trade name?

Sorry to bore the rest of you :uhoh:

No, there are no OTC COX-2 inhibitors. You need a prescription for them. The most prescribed ones are Celebrex, Vioxx. There are a few new ones like Bextra but they don't get prescribed often. Plus they are all too new to be OTC for a while.

Oh yeah,

Meegannie its ok to use them for a bit but you should quit for a few weeks then go back to them. The mucosal linning of the stomach needs to re-build.

Hey! If you guys have any questions at all let me know. I love doing this:) Especialy if its to help fellow U2 fans.

Stay healthy guys.

Sicy said:
Yeah you should.. I dont know exactly what caused it but remember my brother had two ulcers while he was at stanford and started throwing up blood. He needed an emergency operation. :| I know he was on tons of medication though.

That scares me. My ulcer is getting worse, I think. Stress!!! :scream:

Back
Top Bottom