How Important are Lyrics to You?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Important are Lyrics to You?

• 1 - Not Important at All

Votes: 2 3.0%

Votes: 1 1.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 4.5%

Votes: 7 10.6%

Votes: 11 16.7%

Votes: 12 18.2%

• 30 - Good lyrics are essential

Votes: 14 21.2%

• Total voters
I generally don't know the words of songs, and if I do I rarely try to figure the meaning out. I can only recall one time where I got really into lyrics and that's the Man Who Sold the World which I think is about a Vampire. Other than that, meh. I'm more interested in the sounds of the words and how they flow.

Good lyrics are essential. It's not that I wouldn't buy albums or singles with tacky lyrics, i mean, i have some of Madonna's or Aerosmith's :( :( The melody and the sound are still the main things that draw me.
But lyrics do sort of affect the way I perceive the artist. I don't generally look up to those singing or writing basic or pompous lyrics. I may like their songs, but they just don't get my respect as a songwriter.

I prefer McCartney to Lennon. There's your answer as to how I voted....People rarely hum baselines or guitar licks, they hum the vocal melody.

It depends on the type of song really, but I normally like songs for the same reason Canadiens said.

I said 12 because I like the number 12

what makes me initially like a song is the melody or bassline or how the elements of the song interact or whatever... I don't notice the lyrics much at first. simple lyrics can also become much more powerful depending on the music played behind them and the way they're sung... conversely the lyrics better be pretty fuckin brilliant for me to keep listening to a song if the music is boring.

that said I really love great lyrics and/or lyrics I can identify with... lyrics are important, but songs with mediocre lyrics can still be good

MrBrau1 said:
They require a good melody to be effective.

Otherwise it's just poetry.
bad poetry in most cases
incredibly bad poetry even

lyrics have to be effective to me
I think Michael Stipe is a brilliant lyricist and I always try to find out what Will Oldham is singing about, but at the same time I would say that AC/DC and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion have lyrics that work extremely well with the energy and feel of their songs

so I'm not voting

i chose numero 15 , cause it all depends , music is essential , lyrics are essential , it's all about balance or no balance , both are quite good , and everything in between , the only thing you need is sound & spirit babe

i'm not sure. i keep thinking i dont give 2 rats arses what someone is singing about, but then i hear "the heart is a bloom. it shoots up through the stoney ground" (or other similar), and i want to dig my fingernails deep into my forearms and scream for about an hour.

:shrug:

Music is equally important (if not more) as lyrics for me. I can fall in love with a song that has average lyrics but is beautiful musically. But the converse may or may not be true.

I voted 15 but it probably should've been closer to the musical side. This 30 point scale is a little ridiculous. :huh:

Angela Harlem said:
but then i hear "the heart is a bloom. it shoots up through the stoney ground" (or other similar), and i want to dig my fingernails deep into my forearms and scream for about an hour.

Haha what's wrong with that line? It's not as bad as other clunkers from that album *cough* ending of Kite *cough*

Lyrics are not very often the hook for me, BUT if they are sung clearly are well written then it can happen (trying to think of an example but can't).

But it mostly the melody that comes first. Shit melody and I switch off.

Both together and you get RTSS. :drool:

Now re-listening to Leonard Cohen's. Now that's someone I respect as a lyricist.
just can't get enough of Tonight Will Be Fine and Chelsea Hotel No. 2.
:drool: :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
It depends. If a band or artist has awesome music and so-so lyrics, I can still listen to them to an extent. However, I must admit I do tend to place a little more emphasis on lyrics. Music is just a bonus to me.

15, lyrics are just as important as music and a song can't be listenable if it has really bad lyrics, that's why pop sounds better in foreign languages.And for a lot of artists what makes the songs are the lyrics

lyrics don't mean a single thing to me without good music. not one thing. Like someone said earlier, it's just poetry if there is no decent music to back it up.

Good lyrics are a nice little bonus.

The Smiths for example were blessed with an extremely talented lyricist, but if Morrissey wrote meaningless throwaway lyrics then i'd still love the songs because the music behind it is so good.

I don't think Oasis have written a decent set of lyrics on any of their songs ("slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball":huh: ) but i still love them cos the melodies are great.

the rythm is the most important, if the lirycs are good then is heaven :drool:

Please notice that I´m venezuelan and generally I hear the song first and then look the meaning of lirycs that are written in a foreing languaje --> english

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
i'm not sure. i keep thinking i dont give 2 rats arses what someone is singing about, but then i hear "the heart is a bloom. it shoots up through the stoney ground" (or other similar), and i want to dig my fingernails deep into my forearms and scream for about an hour.

:shrug:

mmm, typical B&C bashing of U2 :drool:

Zootlesque said:
I voted 15 but it probably should've been closer to the musical side. This 30 point scale is a little ridiculous. :huh:

nobodys forcing you to vote :|

the way this question is posed doesn't make much sense :hmm: how important are lyrics...as compared to what? the melody, the instrumentation, the arrangement?

Last edited:
in general, how important are good lyrics as to your enjoyment of a song?

but that depends on the other stuff.

songs such as "She Loves You" and "All You Need Is Love" have rather crappy lyrics but they are both saved by catchy choruses and nice little melody lines, whereas songs such as "So Cruel" and "One" are rather weak melodically, but are saved by strong lyrics. strong lyrics are essential in the two latter songs.

Yeah, no that I think about it, So Cruel has horrible lyrical melody, or any variation musically at all, yet manages to pull through on the strength of the lyrics.

I am all about the lyrics. Great lyrics can make a song really special for me. That being said, I listen to a lot of excellent music that has no lyrics at all (esp. electronic/trance), and I love it no less.

Back
Top Bottom