How has your musical taste changed? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:58 PM
How has your musical taste changed?

Well, I was downloading my CD Collection into my iPod and realized that my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since the late eighties / mid-nineties (which is, basically, when I seriously got into music). Of course, U2 has always been there but I noticed some interesting trends in my CD collection:

1. I own 10 Erasure CDs, including 4 singles and maxi-singles Actually, the first CD I ever bought was "Chorus". Today, I can only bear their greatest hits (e.g., A Little Respect, etc.) and "The Innocents" which is, in my opinion, their best album. I should have stopped buying after "Wild".

2. I own 7 Roxette CDs, including 3 singles. I should have stopped buying after "Joyride".

3. I own 3 Technotronic CDs, even though they only released one real album (Pump Up The Jam) but I had to buy the remixes and re-remixes. Obviously, I should have only bought Pump Up The Jam (which is, by the way, a great dance record).

4. I own things I could not even play today, like Wreckx n'Effect (remember the "Rumpshaker" song), Kriss Kross (teenage rappers whose only hit was "Jump") and Mark Morrison (remember "Return of the Mack"). I guess most of this were impulsive purchases that I then regretted...

Does this happen in your CD collection as well? Has your musical taste changed? Do you own things that you would rather throw away today?

Old 12-15-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Well I can safely say I still hate prog rock.

Jazz I'm quite receptive to though, that's probably the big change. That and rap. Never thought I'd like those two when I first started listening to music.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:08 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:58 AM
I like Radiohead is the biggest change i can thing off
Old 12-15-2004, 12:44 PM   #4
Refugee

let's just say I bought cds at 12-13 that are not even worthy of the Garbage Can. More recently, after my U2 obsession died down a bit, I really got into harder old school punk (Ramones, Clash, NY Dolls, The Damned...you get the picture).
Old 12-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
My taste in music is far more diversed since the 80s and 90s.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 AM
In the past two years, I've gotten into more punk-influenced music rather than the goth stuff I've been hording around the last 10 years.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:28 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
My taste in music is far more diversed since the 80s and 90s.
Yeah, I'm not sure if my tastes have changed much, or at all, but they have diversified incredibly.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:39 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 09:58 PM
My musical tastes have broadened a bit...I'm enjoying the indie bands at the moment, mostly because mainstream music is soooo bad.

But I find myself listening and following the bands I grew up with in the 80s.
REM
U2
and later Pearl Jam.

The more my tastes change...the more they stay the same I guess.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 09:58 PM
I got more into jazz and early blues--John Coltrane, Count Basie, Cole Porter, and Robert Johnson.

I also stopped listening to Pearl Jam.

But U2, well they are my constant companions. I seriously doubt we'll ever part ways.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
Refugee

i used to like exlusively rap/r&b and hiphip and now i much prefer indie and brit rock/pop/whatever it's called today.
Old 12-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 10:58 PM
I personally don't mind what I've heard by Erasure and Roxette thus far .

Anywho...ohhhhhh, yeah, my tastes have definitely changed. Back when I was about 14 years old or so, I got a Britney Spears single, and liked the Backstreet Boys (didn't actually own any of their CDs, but I liked the big radio hits). And I have a Spice Girls tape somewhere, too. Complete teenybopper phase then, yep.

Then when I was about 15, 16 years old, I started getting into classic rock (heh, talk about a turnaround, huh?). Still like classic rock-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the first band that I REALLY got into, and I'll always love them-lots of great classic rock bands out there.

But within the last couple of years my tastes have become more centered around all the late 70s and 80s new wave music, too (and I have U2 to thank for that-I'd listen to the new wave music channels on TV in the hopes I'd hear their songs, and while I waited to hear U2, I also got to hear some other great music as well)-love the late 70s British punk stuff that I've heard, and I'm getting into bands whose music is akin to the type of music the Beatles did.

And I still love U2 as well . It's just really funny to look at how much my musical tastes have changed throughout my teen years and everything.

Angela
Old 12-15-2004, 03:37 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

growing steadily less mainstream, more diverse, more towards hardcore punk and oi music.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 10:58 PM
A couple years ago I could name every single song that came on the top 40 station and now I can only name the ones that they were playing back then.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:58 PM
Im progressively going further back in time. I have no idea whats on the radio / in the top ten.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Im progressively going further back in time. I have no idea whats on the radio / in the top ten.

i have no idea, either.

but i watched mtv/vh1 recently, and i know i'm not missing anything.