How has your musical taste changed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well, I was downloading my CD Collection into my iPod and realized that my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since the late eighties / mid-nineties (which is, basically, when I seriously got into music). Of course, U2 has always been there but I noticed some interesting trends in my CD collection:

1. I own 10 Erasure CDs, including 4 singles and maxi-singles :reject: Actually, the first CD I ever bought was "Chorus". Today, I can only bear their greatest hits (e.g., A Little Respect, etc.) and "The Innocents" which is, in my opinion, their best album. I should have stopped buying after "Wild".

2. I own 7 Roxette CDs, including 3 singles. I should have stopped buying after "Joyride".

3. I own 3 Technotronic CDs, even though they only released one real album (Pump Up The Jam) but I had to buy the remixes and re-remixes. Obviously, I should have only bought Pump Up The Jam (which is, by the way, a great dance record).

4. I own things I could not even play today, like Wreckx n'Effect (remember the "Rumpshaker" song), Kriss Kross (teenage rappers whose only hit was "Jump") and Mark Morrison (remember "Return of the Mack"). I guess most of this were impulsive purchases that I then regretted...

Does this happen in your CD collection as well? Has your musical taste changed? Do you own things that you would rather throw away today?

Well I can safely say I still hate prog rock.

Jazz I'm quite receptive to though, that's probably the big change. That and rap. Never thought I'd like those two when I first started listening to music.

let's just say I bought cds at 12-13 that are not even worthy of the Garbage Can. More recently, after my U2 obsession died down a bit, I really got into harder old school punk (Ramones, Clash, NY Dolls, The Damned...you get the picture).

In the past two years, I've gotten into more punk-influenced music rather than the goth stuff I've been hording around the last 10 years.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
My taste in music is far more diversed since the 80s and 90s.
Yeah, I'm not sure if my tastes have changed much, or at all, but they have diversified incredibly.

My musical tastes have broadened a bit...I'm enjoying the indie bands at the moment, mostly because mainstream music is soooo bad.

But I find myself listening and following the bands I grew up with in the 80s.
REM
U2
and later Pearl Jam.

The more my tastes change...the more they stay the same I guess.

I got more into jazz and early blues--John Coltrane, Count Basie, Cole Porter, and Robert Johnson.

I also stopped listening to Pearl Jam. :shrug:

But U2, well they are my constant companions. I seriously doubt we'll ever part ways.

i used to like exlusively rap/r&b and hiphip and now i much prefer indie and brit rock/pop/whatever it's called today. :huh:

I personally don't mind what I've heard by Erasure and Roxette thus far :).

Anywho...ohhhhhh, yeah, my tastes have definitely changed. Back when I was about 14 years old or so, I got a Britney Spears single, and liked the Backstreet Boys (didn't actually own any of their CDs, but I liked the big radio hits). And I have a Spice Girls tape somewhere, too. Complete teenybopper phase then, yep.

Then when I was about 15, 16 years old, I started getting into classic rock (heh, talk about a turnaround, huh?). Still like classic rock-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the first band that I REALLY got into, and I'll always love them-lots of great classic rock bands out there.

But within the last couple of years my tastes have become more centered around all the late 70s and 80s new wave music, too (and I have U2 to thank for that-I'd listen to the new wave music channels on TV in the hopes I'd hear their songs, and while I waited to hear U2, I also got to hear some other great music as well)-love the late 70s British punk stuff that I've heard, and I'm getting into bands whose music is akin to the type of music the Beatles did.

And I still love U2 as well :). It's just really funny to look at how much my musical tastes have changed throughout my teen years and everything.

Angela

growing steadily less mainstream, more diverse, more towards hardcore punk and oi music.

A couple years ago I could name every single song that came on the top 40 station and now I can only name the ones that they were playing back then.

beli said:
Im progressively going further back in time. I have no idea whats on the radio / in the top ten.

i have no idea, either.

but i watched mtv/vh1 recently, and i know i'm not missing anything.

Everything I used to hate, I love now. I'm finding a lot of merit in music I used to despise and ridicule: disco, old country, Patsy Cline, Neil Diamond, Elton John, Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Beach Boys, big band. And everything I used to love, I still love, but I'm finding more and more artifice in it and less and less genuine musical merit: Sonic Youth, Radiohead, Pixies, the Clash. I still love those bands, but as my collection of music expands, they become less and less important.

A few years back, I was strictly into Indie rock, and non-commercial bands. Now, three years on, my favourite band is U2 (this was the biggest change), and I like some hiphop, r'n'b and pop too. I'm still mainly into indie rock, but my taste has diversified completely.

I didn't really start listening to music until I turned 16 or so; and at first I listened to whatever was played on the commercial radio, your basic top 40 stuff. I used to enjoy Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Shania Twain, and all those big divas (who I cannot stand now). I also liked the 60-70s bands my Dad was into, which I still listen to.

Then with years I drifted towards more idiosyncratic, alternative stuff like Nick Cave & Bad Seeds, and lesser-known bands/artists. More recently I started to get into live jazz and what is referred to as "world music", and *gasp* country music as well. Although I still like a lot of mainstream pop like Kylie, Madonna, Robbie Williams, etc.

I could tell that my taste has changed when I recently put on the Manu Chao album I bought two years ago and couldn't stomach it back then, and absolutely loved it now, :)

Last edited:
I used to listen to country. Well, I still do, but good country and not the shit they play on the radio.

Also, at some point, I didn't like the Beatles (!), and at another, I thought prog rock was pretty neat (!!).

Last edited:
i've completely stopped caring about what's on the charts, largely because most of the stuff on the charts is complete and utter crappola.

i've diversified quite a bit. when i was a teenager back in the late 80s/early 90s, i was into punk and indie stuff (most of which was rather uncool before it became *ultra-cool*). now i listen to a lot of international stuff, acid jazz/ambient stuff. during my last years of university, i discovered the bliss of old big band and jazz crooners (great for breaking the horror of exam uber-stress). i'm less tolerant of crap, and more appreciate of uniqueness and atmosphere.

u2 has been the only constant in my musical tastes.

When I was a teen in the '80s I pretty much listened to stuff that got played on Top 40 radio and that was it. I've always regretted that, because I missed out on a ton of great music that way. It's a good thing U2 hit it big because otherwise I never would have heard of them!

I didn't start listening to a whole lot of alternative/indie music until about four years ago. It was one of the smartest things I ever did. I don't even listen to commercial radio anymore. I've also gotten more into classic R&B and "real" country like Johnny Cash over the past few years. I've even started listening to some rap!

the couple years between u2 albums i started listening to depeche mode and then i really got into alot of 77's punk rock ; the adicts, the weirdos, the gears, X, the skulls, the damned, the jam, the clash, the breifs, buzzcocks. and then david bowie, iggy pop, t rex, talking heads, roxy music, velvet underground. yeah but u2 has been my #1 since my passion for music began.

its all acumulative though. i really havent changed taste just im always ready for new stuff. feck i love music

Last edited:
I've made a much bigger effort, as I got older, to discover the classics that inspired so many of today's acts. My parents were both huge fans of the music of the 60s, especially Elvis, The Beatles and Motown, but not so much of the 70s, so I didn't grow up with those songs.

bayernfc said:
let's just say I bought cds at 12-13 that are not even worthy of the Garbage Can. More recently, after my U2 obsession died down a bit, I really got into harder old school punk (Ramones, Clash, NY Dolls, The Damned...you get the picture).

if you continue down the punk rock road, you'll find that the clash, the ramones, the damned, and the dolls are very far from hard punk rock.

you know how they tell you marijuana is the gateway drug?

that stuff can lead to hardcore...well, it can lead to listening to hardcore.

just make sure you don't start listening to a bunch of lame metalcore bands (i'm sure you won't, i'm just being an ass).

Not that much, Beatles and Queen were my first fave bands, and I recently got the rest of the Fab Four albums and bought two Queen albums. (as I only had a tape)
Next up was U2, about 10 years or so ago, and I also still like them.

I think I really like melodic kind of rock music, like these three bands. And I never listened to techno, rap or hip hop or much of pop.

In the years since ATYCLB release, I got into Bruce Springsteen, Crowded house and three "the" bands (Killers, Strokes's first album, Thrills), though my fave new band is Coldplay.
I also got some old-school bands' Best ofs, like The Who, The Kinks, The Rolling stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin at the BBC.

I also always liked singers like Sinatra and Elvis and Johhny Cash and Roy Orbison, only in the last few years I got their Best ofs.

I guess my taste in music is somewhat boring for a 20-something but I can't help it, I like older music.

Last edited:
I realised over the years that among other things, following U2 is an educational crash course in the history of popular music. This works because they always were musical orphans and had no roots to speak of. I know they've often been knocked for genre-hopping but honestly, anything is up for grabs in the creative world.

This is what makes the idea of a 'one true u2' sound such a joke.

Rattle and Hum is as valid a take on America as George Gershwin's songs of sixty years earlier.

Also, yes, my musical taste has changed. For the better. My taste is now monumental, probably even better than Zoomerang96's (not saying much!).

Kieran McConville said:
I know they've often been knocked for genre-hopping

Which doesn't make sense to me, 'cause they've certainly proven that they can handle doing different genres over the years. I'm glad they've tried different things-it makes things interesting and exciting (and after finding out what may have influenced them with a certain genre or whatever, sometimes it persuades me to check out more from that genre, and therefore get into other good music).

Angela

Back
Top Bottom