How do you warm up?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OzAurora

Refugee
The Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Shit, it is cold today! Winter has definately come, its about 9.30am and the expected high is for about 18 degrees celcius and I must have the worst circulation, as my hands feel like ice. So how do you all keep warm, when it gets cold? Now be aware that where I live, well our houses are not designed for the two weeks or so of really cold weather that we may get each year, like my house has no fire place, no heating- it is completely open and airy (perfect for stinking hot summers) I want to feel warm!:|

I think that 18 C is the perfect weather.. :uhoh:

To keep warm, I usually bundle. If your hands are cold, stick them under your armpits or sit on them. Or put gloves on. and definatly drink something warm, like hot chocolate :drool:

Layers! Lots and lots of layers.

When it gets really cold here, I sleep in long sleeves with 2 or 3 blankets and socks. I'm always cold.

oh yes, that is right your seasons are flip flopped from ours. In Jan and Feb we are freezing. :laugh: that would really mess me up if I were to ever visit that part of the world.

Last edited:
AvsGirl41 said:
Layers! Lots and lots of layers.
I'm always cold.
I have discovered layers since my sons reached the Under 16 team and their competition is played at night time. They didn't have to play last weekend and I was sitting by the fire last night saying "do I HAVE to go to soccer? it's soooo cold out there!" Wearing that light but warm inner garment makes all the difference. I once thought I hated synthetic fabric, but now I wear it.
It's hard to keep your fingers warm when you enjoy typing. My hands get cold when I'm here on the computer. We'll be moving it into a sunnier room soon. That will be great.
Our house is surrounded by trees and it is shady and gets damp in winter. It's the dampness I don't like. I have always wanted another dwelling ( teepee maybe) to live in in winter, further up the hill where it catches more sun. I love cooking on a fire in winter. A one day dream...:)
Our bedroom doesn't have heating and definitely no electric blankets for us. It is unlined but I love it. We rescued some hundred year old timber to make it and I don't want to cover it up. That's where a sleeping partner ( or puppy) comes in handy. Two eskimoes in a blanket:hug: :hug: and socks....if my feet are warm I can cope. I am waering flannette PJ's this winter for the first time since I was a little girl...funky monkey PJ's. :laugh:
So layers and activity and warm food, soups etc. and finding a spot in the sun as often as possible is all I can suggest.
I much prefer Australian winter to Australian summer. Autumn is perfect imho.

I got a guilt attack when I read your topic heading...I thought you meant "warm up" as in before exercise. :)

OzAurora said:
expected high is for about 18 degrees celcius and I must have the worst circulation, as my hands feel like ice. So how do you all keep warm, when it gets cold? Now be aware that where I live, well our houses are not designed for the two weeks or so of really cold weather that we may get each year, like my house has no fire place, no heating- it is completely open and airy (perfect for stinking hot summers) I want to feel warm!:|

:lmao:

Come to Nova Scotia in winter. Where we get regular temps of -40 Celcius on the coldest days. And 1 full meter (that's 3 feet, people) of snow in one day.

PS: Why the hell would you need a fireplace for a temp of 18?!?

Re: Re: How do you warm up?????

DaveC said:

:lmao:

PS: Why the hell would you need a fireplace for a temp of 18?!?

well you have to remember that our night time temps can get quite cold, they probably get as low as 3 or 4 degrees and the main thing is that our houses are not designed for cold weather- so you feel it really badly. My house has exposed beams and no insulation and I have polished wood floors everywhere, so ya feel the cold. But like I said it is great in summer, when it is like 35 degrees.

Seriously I could never imagine experiencing minus 30 weather, shit I've never even seen snow!!!!:huh:

4 degrees - thats the temp here some nights... and its summer
18 degrees would be a mild day :slant:

18 Celsius is like 65 Fahrenheit.....here, it's colder than that 7-8 months of the year (can we say, Lake Effect blizzard?!?!). 18 Celsius is actually warmer than us students keep our houses even thought we DO have heat (heat is too expensive). Just pile on the blankets! Even here in Michigan when it's snowing out, we turn off or turn down our heat at night to save $$$ so I usually sleep with 5 or 6 layers of blankets.

heheh 65 degrees cold.....

I live in maine....so far this "spring" we have been in the mid 40s and had nothing but rain.

In the winter...with the wind it can get to 65 - 70 below zero easily. Not to mention that a normal amount of snow for us in a season is over 120 inches. Yes folks....10 feet of snow. Mind you it doesnt all stay on the ground. It melts a bit here and there but a normal snowpack is 5-6 feet.

oh and I forgot to add....the snow starts in october and stays until may...blargh northern maine winters SUCK!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
18 Celsius is like 65 Fahrenheit.....here, it's colder than that 7-8 months of the year (can we say, Lake Effect blizzard?!?!). 18 Celsius is actually warmer than us students keep our houses even thought we DO have heat (heat is too expensive). Just pile on the blankets! Even here in Michigan when it's snowing out, we turn off or turn down our heat at night to save $$$ so I usually sleep with 5 or 6 layers of blankets.

In my friends student house they only have one heater and they barely use it, in winter they all went across to a house full of student girls because they managed their finances well and had money saved to use their oil, if they were out they went to the pub/ lib/ club so they could be somewhere warm :shifty: :lol:

I'd shut off all rooms but the one you're willing to live in for the duration of the cold snap, then utilize a space heater. Keep your head covered, layer up your clothing with special attention to your torso, and keep those hot liquids going. I'd also read a book that reminds you of warm weather while your all bundled up. Stay warm!

Back
Top Bottom