how do you study? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2008, 05:46 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:13 PM
Read stuff I have to learn, annotate and take notes, then do practise papers. Mark them to see where I'm going wrong and start over.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
well i guess it perhaps depends on the subject. if maths is fucking with you the best thing you can do is memorize the formulas. make up songs with them. my chem professor years ago taught me "pee vee equals en are tee, do dah, do dah" for PV=nRT. that was like 10 years ago and I've never forgotten it. Just figure out little tricks like that to help you to remember.

Also, some subjects like maths and sciences you just can't cram for. They require memorization and repetition. For these you really gotta make sure you're revisiting the material at least every other day since the first day you've learned it.

Also, you should go to the tutoring center. Even if you feel like you get it they can still offer some advice from a different prospective. These places are free and underused in many universities, so you should definitely take advantage of them!

Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 PM   #18
War Child

I summrise everything onto one page per topic.

Also colours are helpful
eg: headings in red pen or underlined
points in blue pen
side notes in black

something like that, you need to work out a system to suit you.

I also write things like a speech, because when you write one you kinda have to know all of it.
And if you forget one section of it then remember the bit you can and it should come to you.

I also read out all my points out like a speech, you may look like a freak but it helps.

Also try and sit with a bunch of friends and talk about the subject as if it was "what you did on the weekend.." thing.

Because something you might not get, some one else will
And if you can teach someone else something it will help you understand more.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:43 PM
Re: how do you study?

Quote:
Originally posted by europop2005
does anyone have really good study advice? how do you like to do it? i'm stuck between math and meteorology and neither is working out well
i choose subjects i like that dont suck like meterology and math, what the hell were you thinking !!!!!!!!!

good luck
Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 AM   #20
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico
Also, you should go to the tutoring center. Even if you feel like you get it they can still offer some advice from a different prospective. These places are free and underused in many universities, so you should definitely take advantage of them!
Yeah definetly! that's how I got through a really hard exam this semester. I bored them to death with my questions, but you know, they got paid for that. There was this really nice guy who calculated all my exercises I did wrong...that's a huge amount of time I would have lost if I tried to find the errors on my own!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 PM   #21
The Fly

There was a documentary on 60 minutes last night - getting between 7.5 to 8 hrs sleep everynight showed that students had an easier time learning than those who weren't sleeping steadily.

Also, if you can organize time to study math during a specific time every day or every other day, it will help you recall material quicker. It's tough but from what I could force myself to do, it did help.

Try different things and you'll find your zone before you know it.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #22
The Fly

Local Time: 09:13 AM
Make sure you don't cram...Do practice problems (especially for math). You should use the few days before exams to review material. It took me 6 years of undergrad (2 degrees, 1 minor) and 1.5 years of med school to figure that out.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
How's this for studying....tomorrow I have to take the second test for a certification. The first test is like a general overview of all of the material, but for the second you pick which test you want to take. I can't figure out which chapters of the material are relevant to the test I'm taking. I couldn't study if I wanted to!
Old 03-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #24
45:33

Local Time: 11:13 PM
Past exams, past essay questions, past tests, past assignments are the best way to do it. Not only do you get proper benefit out of it but you become more aware of the tricks in the questions. I did about 15 practice exams before me final maths exam last year.

I also play music in the background.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Past exams, past essay questions, past tests, past assignments are the best way to do it. Not only do you get proper benefit out of it but you become more aware of the tricks in the questions. I did about 15 practice exams before me final maths exam last year.

I also play music in the background.
Exactly, exactly right, although it does vary depending on your learning style.