How do you stay motivated to get work done???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs. Edge

Bono's Belly Dancing Friend
I admit it, I HATE working, even when I have a good job. And the more work I have on my plate, the more I procrastinate. What do you do to motivate yourself to get to work?

One thing I have tried (and it sometimes works) is to promise myself I can read this email or get online if I do XYZ but today I have so much work to do, I haven't even been able to get started.
frown.gif

- you get the respect of others
- work pays the bills, bay-bee!
- you will be a contributing member of society and not a bum
- work is fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun

foray

ack, Mrs. Edge, you are reading my mind. And unfortunately that means, I have no solutions for you because I am stuck in the same thing.
frown.gif

If anyone has good ideas, please share.

Yay procrastinating!

Right now I have about 150 pages of reading to do for classes tomorrow. And where am I? Here, putting off doing it as long as I can
wink.gif
And what's double trouble is that I'm also at work right now with my books on my lap. I told myself I was going to be good and read and not come here until I was done. But the mouse just jumped into my hand! What could I do?
wink.gif

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

You can dream, so dream out loud!

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

From long and bitter experience, I have found that the only sure motivator is fear and/or desperation. I've had a lot of brilliant 3am spurts of activity, and a lot of very procrastinatory days.

The worst situation is when someone hands you a job, and hints that the job is very important, so an exceptional piece of work is essential. I find that so intimidating, I often just freeze, and defer it to the eleventh hour.

Lord, Jess, DON'T ask me, I have even a harder time than you I think....and besides, I spend a lot of my days emailing YOU!
smile.gif

Hmmm...motivation...that's a tough one. I know I force myself at times because I know how good it will feel when I have "whatever" behind me, but it's getting through it that about kills me sometimes.

I may have to get back to ya on this one....
frown.gif

Hey I have the same problem too. I am so FREAKING lazy sometimes. I have found, that if you drink lots of caffine, and I mean a lot... you get all antsy just sitting in front of the computer. Then you get off your bootay and start doing stuff. It works better w/ physical chores, but, hey.

I'm not sure if this is applicable for your situation, but I'll give it a try.

Aside from my day job, I run my own business, and the most important thing for me in order to keep going is to do some work on it every single day. So I have set up a "buddy system" (a great American invention!) with a friend of mine who is in the same business. Every morning we send each other a short email listing what kind of work we did the previous day. That way I never "forget" to work, because I know I would have to tell my friend the next day.

The other tip I have, which would work in almost any situation, is to write a list of the 6 most important tasks for the next day. Write it at the end of your work day, or at night when you get home, it doesn't matter as long as you do find 6 items. Then keep the list with you and tick each item off as you do it. It won't create more hours in the day, but it will help you prioritize more efficiently.

Back
Top Bottom