How do you relax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:

As far as you know, I'm masturbating right now.

ARGH MY VIRGIN EYES IZ BURND!! :yikes:

To relax, I:

1. Unplug the phone
2. Put some headphones on
3. Lay on the sofa or bed and read a good book

And sometimes, yes, exercise or a walk does the trick.

I don't relax. Don't know how and have stopped trying to find out. I need to be doing something constantly to occupy my time or I go insane. If I'm just lying around, it's because I'm suffering from exhaustion, not because I feel the need to relax. Not really a pleasant thing, but I'm used to it.

I do enjoy a nap now and then, but that only works if the TV is on. I'm an insomniac, but a combination of Wolf Blitzer and Lou Dobbs really seems to do the trick. It's the only reason I have CNN. :shrug:

Bug said:
I watch my lava lamp. I don't know how I ever lived without it.
I'm going to get this one someday. What a day that will be :drool:

I have this one - a gift from my best friend after her Mom passed away, given to me as something to remind me of her mother. Very kind and beautiful.

9da3_1.JPG

As to the relaxation, I agree with most of the posts so far.

I like to catch evening light. Whether it's in my bed or on the couch. I like to open the blinds just enough to let the warm pink evening light in. I light some sandalwood, strawberry or Gonesh No. 4 incense and then on low volume put on some quieter Underworld or Vangelis or Miles Davis or my "sleepytime" playlist on my iPod.

Then I just lay on my bed or couch in minimal clothing and just float away.

When I have the time, it's a very nice way to relax . . . and usually catch a catnap.

:up:

Bonochick said:

We don't need to read replies like that. Please tone it down.

Well, I got the idea the first time someone mentioned it.

But good on you for quoting it again so everyone gets a chance to read it all over. Defeats the purpose doesn't it? :down:

anitram said:
I don't relax. Don't know how and have stopped trying to find out. I need to be doing something constantly to occupy my time or I go insane. If I'm just lying around, it's because I'm suffering from exhaustion, not because I feel the need to relax. Not really a pleasant thing, but I'm used to it.

I do enjoy a nap now and then, but that only works if the TV is on. I'm an insomniac, but a combination of Wolf Blitzer and Lou Dobbs really seems to do the trick. It's the only reason I have CNN. :shrug:

I could have written this myself! I can't even tune everything out and sit still long enough to watch a movie all the way through. I gave up trying to relax a long time ago.

Anyone know how to relieve stress knots in the upper back? I've had them for about six years. They're a bitch to say the least.

A cup of tea or a nap does it for moi.

phillyfan26 said:
Anyone know how to relieve stress knots in the upper back? I've had them for about six years. They're a bitch to say the least.
See a good massage therapist who can pinpoint where the knots are coming from. If they're in your upper back though, I'd say 99% that it's posture-related - stretch your pecs, strengthen the muscles between your shoulder blades. Oh, and like your mama told you, sit up straight! :wink:

redkat said:
guinness_pint.jpg

:wink:

I'm not really capable of relaxation. I do let off steam with exercise.

:drool: what a beautiful picture :love:

I'm not much of a relaxer. I'm on vacation from school this week and had nothing to do yesterday. I had no idea what to do with myself for most of the day.

I guess I walk a lot. In the summers I walk around a lot of lakes. In the winter on the treadmill. I also bake a lot. It's hard to bake to relax right now while going to culinary school because most of the stress in my life comes from that place. I can't have a stressful day at school and then come home and want to be in the kitchen to relax even though that's where I really want to be to relax :huh: If that makes any sense at all. :der:

phillyfan26 said:

Pressure point massage works the knots out. Of course this can get expensive, but the massage therapist will be able to tell you more about their location and how to fix it so you don't have to keep coming in often.

anitram said:

Pressure point massage works the knots out. Of course this can get expensive, but the massage therapist will be able to tell you more about their location and how to fix it so you don't have to keep coming in often.
It's called triggerpoint therapy and it works wonders :yes: Though not all knots cause triggerpoints, some just need to be stretched out or worked through :nerd: But yeah, ultimately the therapist should be able to figure out what's causing them and how you can eliminate them yourself - like I said, almost guaranteed it's postural.

take a cold shower if ya have trouble sleeping- your mind and body start to take action to try and warm ya back up- and then......... when you cant stand one more seccy

jump out and without drying off throw on pajamas and dive into bed

you'll forget your probs and your body will shut down

only did i find this out when i had a shitty case of insomnia one year

i would suggest staying in the cold water until you are violently shivering

its fun- monks in training do it

I feel relaxed whenever I'm in the presence of cats. It's almost the only thing that relaxes me these days - other than having a drink with a pal or two, just going to a bar usually makes me feel good. Especially with some good tunes in the background.

and I guess pot

Praying
a Dulce De Leche latte from Starbucks
Running
Bubble Baths
listening to U2, Coldplay, anything relaxing on my iPod
Reading
watching "House" or "Desperate Housewives" reruns on DVD.
Shopping

yolland said:

Not with fireworks going off all around like right now, that's for sure... :crack:

My dog was barking during it. :sad: It was loud and he was getting overstimulated. Pretty much the farthest thing from relaxing, in my mind. :down:

carrieluvv said:
take a cold shower if ya have trouble sleeping- your mind and body start to take action to try and warm ya back up- and then......... when you cant stand one more seccy

jump out and without drying off throw on pajamas and dive into bed

you'll forget your probs and your body will shut down

only did i find this out when i had a shitty case of insomnia one year

i would suggest staying in the cold water until you are violently shivering

its fun- monks in training do it

:lol: I'm gonna try this

just not tonight...

My favourite way to relax would probably be lying on a couch in our backyard on a nice summer day, with a good book or my faithful iPod, :) In the absense of summer, just listening to music in my room is good enough. I'm usually very chilled out at home and can spend hours doing nothing, whereas at work I'm a different person - I go mad if I've got nothing to do.

i dont relax so much as have brief interludes of down time, this website is one of those things that gets me through the day, the other is my mp3 player which acts as a bullshit deflector at work so i dont have to listen to morons,

other down time- be somewhere where my children are not.
mindless cleaning.
valium.
wine. lots of wine.

I cannot really relax when I am at home because I always see stuff I need to do, work that needs to be done.

The best way to relax for me is either to grab a book and something to write, my walkman and go away into nature. Or, what's even better, hang with people I like, have some real fun, be really childish and irresponsible for a while, laugh a lot, usually have a few drinks and just forget everything else.

mysterious_jen said:
the other is my mp3 player which acts as a bullshit deflector at work so i dont have to listen to morons,

:applaud: I like wearing headphones (with or without music playing) if I'm really irritable. People will just walk by and not say a word. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom