How do you get exposed to new bands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The New Radical

The Fly
How does everyone here find music by bands that are never on tv or radio? I think going to shows is one good way. I mean it just doesn't make any sense to just go to a record store and buy a cd of a band you don't know anything about.

music mag + radio station (those that play crap music 20/7 instead of 24/7)

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

recommendations from a friend, but it depends who, and what their taste is. If it's my sister I ignore what she says, if it's my bro or my buddies I might buy the cd/go to the show

I'm a bit obsessive so I usually write down a band or song if someone I respect mentions it, whether it be someone I know or an interview with a musician I respect.

------------------

Same Old Story

Music mags (small ones, not Rolling Stone), MTV2, internet buzz, record store listening booths.

------------------
Change is the only constant

You listen to Triple J (the best radio station in the world) you can hear it over the net too, they play a realy good mix of new stuff from hard to dance, it is a youth radio station and is the best
smile.gif

http://www.triplej.net.au

I like the amazon recommendations feature, sometimes that works out well. Otherwise from friends. If I hear something I like, I find out who it is then off I go for something new.

Q, NME.com, Amazon.com recommendations, interviews with other bands, etc. Since most of my friends live in Kentucky where good music never ventures, I don't listen to them much.
smile.gif

Simple, I go to the message boards of fans whose opinions I trust and post a thread saying "Suggest me new music!"

Last time I did this was on the Elliot Smith board, www.sweetaddy.com, where I was suggested some VERY good bands such as The Frames, Death Cab for Cutie, and Pavement.

They're all indie over there, and I think I may start delving into that world. It opens up countless more amazing bands to listen to!

Elliot smith himself is certainly climbing the ranks for me. I soon may declare him my second favorite artist, a title which has belonged to radiohead for a decade...
smile.gif

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

I find out about a lot of new artists from the people here. This is the only forum I venture to, and already sharing U2 in common... helps unite our musical interets to a degree. So far, I have enjoyed everything people have recommended me.
biggrin.gif

(Oh, and The New Radical--> your name alone got me to check out the New Radicals
biggrin.gif
Thx!!)

I pay attention to what people I trust on this board suggest...talk to clerks at used CD stores...and also rely on advice from my many local musician friends as they always have eclectic and good taste.
smile.gif

Originally posted by meegannie:
Q, NME.com, Amazon.com recommendations, interviews with other bands, etc. Since most of my friends live in Kentucky where good music never ventures, I don't listen to them much.
smile.gif

Yes -> Q is amazing as is MAXIM Blender.

Q is the best music mag and if you can go to a store that carries it with the free CD attached do that. I found good music that way.

Also, I've gotten in to a lot of new music from U2 fans. Everyone here was raving about Coldplay so I bought the album. Great album. The U2NYC message board gets off topic messages about other bands. A friend there introduced me to Starsailor and the present conversation about Ryan Adams is making me want that album as well.

I use most of the methods already listed, but magazines, TV, and Interference/friends are the top ones.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by sharky:
the present conversation about Ryan Adams is making me want that album as well.

Get it!! I love "Answering Bell." Ryan Adams is a little weird, though. There's a really funny interview with him at
http://nme.com/news/101150.htm that you should listen to. I would love to see him live--he seems a little unpredictable, which would be fun.

rock_band.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

[This message has been edited by meegannie (edited 03-26-2002).]

Originally posted by qball7200:
I actually saw Death Cab for Cutie open up for The Dismemberment Plan a couple weeks ago. Pretty good band, they were better than the D-Plan. The indie band I'm really into right now is Modest Mouse, can't get enough of The Moon and Antarctica. I just think its a damn shame such good music goes unrecognized.

The Death and Dismemberment show was terrific, wasn't it? I wish Death Cab had played first (they were great, but a bit of a letdown after Dismemberment's more rocking set). I'm also something of a Modest Mouse fan, thought I think The Moon... is kind of overrated (though "Lives" is a bloody good song)

Basstrap, I encourage your move into the indie world... try www.pitchforkmedia.com for the best reviews of this stuff out there.

mug, the vocalist of D-Plan got on my nerves a bit by the end and Death Cab finished their set with a blistering performance. The only song I knew before going was Time Bomb and that was awesome live. I thought the D-Plan was more original, but based purely on the sound I prefer Death Cab.

Originally posted by qball7200:
mug, the vocalist of D-Plan got on my nerves a bit by the end and Death Cab finished their set with a blistering performance. The only song I knew before going was Time Bomb and that was awesome live. I thought the D-Plan was more original, but based purely on the sound I prefer Death Cab.

No, I actually agree with you: I like Death Cab much better than Dismemberment, but I just found it strange that they played in the order they did...I think it would have been more fitting had Death Cab played first.

By the way, I'm assuming you've only heard Change by Dismemberment (since you only recognized Time Bomb). If this is the case, get Emergency & I. It's excellent, and better than their most recent effort in my opinion. If you've got audiogalaxy download The City, the best song on there.

Originally posted by Basstrap:

Last time I did this was on the Elliot Smith board, www.sweetaddy.com, where I was suggested some VERY good bands such as The Frames, Death Cab for Cutie, and Pavement.

They're all indie over there, and I think I may start delving into that world. It opens up countless more amazing bands to listen to!

I actually saw Death Cab for Cutie open up for The Dismemberment Plan a couple weeks ago. Pretty good band, they were better than the D-Plan. The indie band I'm really into right now is Modest Mouse, can't get enough of The Moon and Antarctica. I just think its a damn shame such good music goes unrecognized.

Mostly through the music magazines as well as music forums on the net, like rollingstone.com. I don't really consciously try to hear as many new bands/artists as possible; it's all on whatever catches my eye principle.

Back
Top Bottom