How do you feel about The Dave Matthews Band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrPryck2U

ONE love, blood, life
I was just wondering what all you crazy U2 fans think about The Dave Matthews Band? I mean when I first heard of them back in 1993/94, I kind of just dismissed them as just another neo-hippie band. Over the years, I liked a number of their songs but I never really got into them. Then, this past year, I dated someone who was really into DMB. As a result, I started to get into them myself. Now, it's like a whole new world. I mean, if you love U2, you should dig DMB. Their music evokes just as much passion and soul as any U2 song. I kid you not. Plus, they release so many live albums, it affords you the chance to hear so many different interpretations of their many great songs. For 2002, my New Year's resolution was to really follow the DMB more. So far, I've bought Live at Luther College (with Tim Reynolds and Dave Matthews only on acoustic guitar) and Listener Supported( another live album). These are awesome albums! My girlfriend and I broke up a while back but we're still friends and she gave me the chance to check this great band a little more.
Oh yeah, don't worry. I did my best to get her into U2. I made her 3 U2 mix tapes and bought Achtung Baby. Of course she liked everything. What do you think?

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

What do I think of DMB? I think I have yet to hear a song of theirs that is interesting and doesn't annoy the hell out of me. I'm sorry but maybe it's just his voice...but whatever it is, lyrically and musically they do absolutely nothing for me. *yawn*

Sorry!
biggrin.gif

-sula

they're not bad at all, I can't really get into them, but I have a great deal of respect and admiration for them, they are tremendous musicians, and I do enjoy several of their songs, though I don't own any of their cds

I think they are tremendous musicians as well.

But to me, most of their songs are nonsense - I can't make much sense of them. Just real stream of consciousness (not that that's bad - but I prefer SOC in prose, not lyrics) that borders on innanity (word?) to me.

Their fans are very passionate about them. And although I see the appeal, I can't get into them. They do have soul - but a more rootsy flavour. I used to say DMB was music for people who don't have problems - because, where I live, the DMB fans are all college kids who just party and shag all week. I don't hold my theory about DMB much anymore, but their music lacks the depth that U2 has - and so therefore cannot hold my attention (and I've actually heard all their albums numerous times).

I'm pretty indifferent about DMB...I don't think they suck, and I can understand why people like them so much. However, I usually turn them off when they come on the radio, and I have none of their CD's. I don't rule out ever becoming a fan though...sometimes a band's music suddenly strikes you for some reason...maybe that will happen to me with DMB.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I have their four major albums and have seen them live...
I like them...
smile.gif

I am not a fanatic though...I don't own every single live recording that they ever made nor am I a member of their fan club..but I like them just fine..

dream wanderer

i can't really say one way or another....DMB has really never done anything for me. Some of their stuff is catchy, but I'm just not crazy about Dave's voice...sometimes I like it, most times it's just caterwauling!

I'm sure they're very talented musicians, but the whole DMN fanaticsm sometimes confounds me....

Thanks for weighing in with your opinions. I was just curious to know how you all felt. I'll admit that I didn't like Dave's voice at first, but it's kind of grown on me. Peace!

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

I have about four of their albums and have liked them for years, but lately, for some strange reason, I'm kind of bothered about Dave's voice, especially after reading other people posts about it. They don't like it apparently. Yikes, it seems to have an effect on me.
frown.gif
I would still like to see them in concert though.

At first I sort of tuned out The Dave Matthews Band. Something about them annoyed me. But then I saw Dave perform twice this past fall. It was just him and his guitar. Man, was he great. I guess it's the band that annoys me.

Ok, all I seem to hear about is the Dave Matthews Band these days. They are not very well known here so I'm not terribly familiar with their work.

I have heard maybe two or three songs of theirs and liked what I heard, and a lot of people have told me that I would probably love their music. So, I'm wondering what is a good starting off record to get?? I would like to give this band a proper listen.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'd recommend a few albums:
Crash
Before These Crowded Streets
Listener Supported
Live at Luther College with Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds(on this one it's just Dave and Tim doing mostly DMB songs with acoustic guitar)
If you wanna get started, these are these albums.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

DMB? Enjoyable.

------------------
"The Edge is a great singer. Let's get the Edge up here." - Bono, 9/23/97, Sarajevo

"Brian Eno. Edge." - Bono, 09/12/95, Modena

"Edge." - Bono, 05/01/2001, Minneapolis

"You made my day, now you have to sleep in it." - TMBG

Back
Top Bottom