How do you exercise?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I used to dance anywhere from 4-7 days a wek *sigh* but with school now I can't (no time, not enough calsses offered). I try to go to the gym 3 days a week and I'm trying to become a runner. I over-protonate a lot though and I have high arches (thus, knee problems) that I'm working on. I want to be a runner.

Go see a podatrist who specializes in runners and get some custom made orthotics. That should get rid of the pronation issue and most likely any knee issues. A lot of knee issues stem from the tracking of the patella tendon. The orthotics should be able to correct any biomechanical issues that may lead to a tracking problem. Also knee issues can be attributed to quad muscle tightness and weakness, another possible result of overpronation. Just my two cents as someone who has been a serious runner and knows a fair amount about this sort of stuff.

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
I used to dance anywhere from 4-7 days a wek *sigh* but with school now I can't (no time, not enough calsses offered). I try to go to the gym 3 days a week and I'm trying to become a runner. I over-protonate a lot though and I have high arches (thus, knee problems) that I'm working on. I want to be a runner.

Last edited:
for now: just :censored: (hey, it burns calories, no?)

...i've pretty much stopped exercising since becoming pregnant (save for the occasional walk); i'm actually using all of my energy just to put down meals (and keep them down)--ahh, the joys of early pregnancy :grumpy: ! interestingly, i've lost a total of 6 pounds since becoming pregnant :shrug: anyway, i may take up swimming very soon.

DiGi said:
Go see a podatrist who specializes in runners and get some custom made orthotics. That should get rid of the pronation issue and most likely any knee issues. A lot of knee issues stem from the tracking of the patella tendon. The orthotics should be able to correct any biomechanical issues that may lead to a tracking problem. Also knee issues can be attributed to quad muscle tightness and weakness, another possible result of overpronation. Just my two cents as someone who has been a serious runner and knows a fair amount about this sort of stuff.

:huh:

H ?????????? ??????? ??? ??? ?????? ??? ????????? ???????????? ??? ????????????????????? ???????? ???? ??? ???? ???? ??????? ???? ??? ?????????????? ???? ??? ???????????. ? ??????, ???? ????????? ??? ??? ?????? ??????????? ????????????? ???? ?????????? ?????? ???? ??? ??? ??????? ???????????? ??? FIR ?????????, ?? ?????????? ??? ??? ?? ?????? ????????? ??? ??? ?????????? ????????. ???? ????????????? ? ?ֻ, ? ???????? ????????? ???? ?????????? ??? ???? ??? 9.30 ?????? ?? ???? ? ?????????? ?????? ?? ??????? ????????? ?? ????? ?? ??? ???????????? ??????.

;)

DiGi said:

Eh? :D

I had (actually, I don't know if I still have it) lateral meniscal injury on my left knee and patella femoral pain on my right knee. :scream:

The meniscus is a piece of cartilage that sits as a piece of padding between the bones of the upper (femur) and lower (tibia) leg. You can injury that many different ways. There is little blood flow to this area so healing can be difficult. If the meniscus is torn it can move around inside the joint and cause pain.

Megan now speaks in characters.

dizzy said:

Eh? :D

I had (actually, I don't know if I still have it) lateral meniscal injury on my left knee and patella femoral pain on my right knee. :scream:

:lol: at meegannie & DiGi

I do weight training at the gym and starting last week and on through the fall, I fastwalk around the hiking trail about 4 miles several times a week. For some reason, I really cannot stand to do aerobics inside the gym so this is a seasonal activity for me.

But pilates is my absolute favorite form of exercise. My body always feels kind of eh after working out at the gym, like I did something wrong, but after pilates class everything feels fantastic. Plus the teacher is hot :hyper: and there are only 4 people per class. If I had the time and money, I would do nothing but pilates all day and get certified. For someone who could never do anything athletic, this is sort of miraculous.

TripThruUreWires said:
for now: just :censored: (hey, it burns calories, no?)

...i've pretty much stopped exercising since becoming pregnant (save for the occasional walk); i'm actually using all of my energy just to put down meals (and keep them down)--ahh, the joys of early pregnancy :grumpy: ! interestingly, i've lost a total of 6 pounds since becoming pregnant :shrug: anyway, i may take up swimming very soon.

i remember losing alot of weight when i became pregnant with daisy. my stomach became so flat, my docs were getting a bit concerned with my weight in general. i loved how i look that time. i gained weight during the last trimester. my doc prescribed all kinds of junk food (ice cream, hamburgers, etc) for me. it was my doc's last resort for me to gain hehe.

i dont exercise right now. im trying to find the motivation. i froze my gym account so...maybe in a few weeks i'll get back into it. its been a year since i worked out:silent:

I run tri-athelons in the summer. This is my summer work out schedule:

Mon- I lift my chest and triceps. Run 4 miles.

Tues-Stationary bike 60minutes then run 4-6 miles.

Wed-Lift shoulders and legs. Then ride the bike for 30-40 minutes.

Thurs-Run 6 miles

Friday- Lift Back and biceps

Saturday-Either run 8 miles or Bike 60 minutes and run 4 miles.

Sunday-Sit on my ass

I haven't started to train for swimming because I hate it. I probably should start considering in a Triathelon you swim 0.9-1.0 miles. The triathelons I do consist of 1.0 mile swim, 20 mile bike, and then a 5-6 mile run.

Its hard work but you feel so fuckin' good when your done:)

gherman said:

Thurs-Run 6 miles

Sunday-Sit on my ass

I haven't started to train for swimming because I hate it. I probably should start considering in a Triathelon you swim 0.9-1.0 miles. The triathelons I do consist of 1.0 mile swim, 20 mile bike, and then a 5-6 mile run.

I got winded just reading this!!

gherman said:

Thurs-Run 6 miles

Sunday-Sit on my ass

:bow:

I dont even think I could do that in my dreams!

I don't know exactly how far I run these days, I do a daily circuit of my neighbourhood with three laps of an oval in the middle of it. Takes me about 20 minutes. I was timed at 13:20 for two miles so I guess its between three and four miles.

I also do 20-25 bench presses, 30 dumbells each arm and 40 sit ups daily.

I run every day; currently, I run 2.2 miles per day, and I am increasing it by 10% each week. Usually I run around my neighborhood on asphalt, but on some weekends I will trail run at a nearby park. I thought that would be very tough and difficult, but I think the softer terrain makes up for the more hills and turns. I started this running program in February, and hope to level out at about 30 miles a week in a month or so, then work on my speed. Before I do about 5 minutes of stretching exercises, like what you would see a soccer team do before practice/game. I do the same after my run.

I do all of that before dinner usually.

After dinner, I work out for about 15 minutes on a DP rower device which can also be used for weightlifting-type exercises. Just before that, to stretch and warm up, I do some pilates stretch thing for about a minute; my wife taught it to me and it's called "Pilates 100" as it is part of some videotape she does. It is much harder than it looks.

Also, I go down 23 flights of stairs, usually twice a day, at work.

And I edge/trim/mow/bag the lawn on Saturdays.

~U2Alabama

I go to jazz class twice a week. People who've seen me in person won't believe this, as I don't have a lithe figure. I used to dance a lot when I was younger. You lose your timing and coordination though when you get older. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom