How do you discover new music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
With the music world changing before our eyes, how do you find your new music? (assuming you try and find new music and aren't still listening ONLY to Van Halen in your camaro)

I personally love the Itunes experience and have expanded my music collection because of it. Streaming broadcasts like Yahoo's services are also a good way.

What do you do?

It's a combination of things.

I read lots (websites and magazines)
Internet Radio
Suggestions from friends

Mostly, I actively seek new music because I have an insatiable music craving.

barlowdog said:

Internet Radio
Suggestions from friends

I am more or less exactly the same as every word written above.

^ me, too.

And I get whatever mofo and HeartlandGirl tell me to. :wink:

Originally posted by barlowdog

Internet Radio
Suggestions from friends

u2popmofo said:

I am more or less exactly the same as every word written above.

This might be one reason we seem to like some of the same bands. :rockon:

i mostly find new stuff by just aimlessly surfing through itunes. that's how i found death cab, the killers, and several other bands. i also have a tendancy to randomly buy those 7 or 8 dollar albums at target if i have some extra money. i found keane that way.

i also find new stuff via my brother a lot. he has a lot more cash to burn than i do and he's often calling me up and telling me about the latest album he picked up. the last album he really turned me on to was jimmy eat world's futures but he is also the one who introduced me to :heart:guster:heart:.

Se7en said:
the last album he really turned me on to was jimmy eat world's futures

Seriously though, why is that album so enjoyable? I always "liked" Jimmy Eat World, but I REALLY like that album.

iTunes is definitely a good way to check into things, I'm just starting to use it a little more now for clips and music videos and such.

I go for recommendations from friends and spending way too much time in HMV especially when theres a sale on.. I spend way too much money on random CDs. I like to just buy albums with interesting covers or track names, they usually turn out alright!

u2popmofo said:

Seriously though, why is that album so enjoyable? I always "liked" Jimmy Eat World, but I REALLY like that album.

i never "liked" jimmy eat world at all, but i love that album. for me, it's a combination of two things:

a) i think it's one of the best produced albums i've heard. each song's arrangement is perfectly complimented by the sounds the engineers captured in the studio.

2) the songs are just really fuckin' catchy.

I get almost ALL my new music suggestions from this board! If it wasn't for B&C, I'd just be listening to U2, Coldplay, and handful of other bands. I've been able to increase my music intake tenfold simply by following up on recommendations that are posted here. I've been able to step out of my musical "box".

So, thank you to everyone who posts musical recommendations!

nobody reads this

eh....

Nº1 = U2... through them, I've come to know and love a lot of music (Bob Dylan, Elvis, Johnny Cash, The Rolling Stones), and meet a lot of other artists (Lou Reed, BB King, Abba, The Killers, The Corrs, etc.)

Nº2 = Friends... just by beign in the beach last week, I happened to like a death metal band called Cradle Of Filth (or something like that), and that's how I got to meet Metallica, Bon Jovi, Pearl Jam, Aeorsmith, Iron Maiden...

Nº3 = events... like Live 8, that opened my eyes to Stereophonics, cemented my Killers growing admiration and made me buy Coldplay's X&Y

Nº4 = Because they exist... that happens with people like Elvis, Frank Sinatra and Bob Dylan

that's it I think...

Last edited:
{paintedroses} said:
I go for recommendations from friends and spending way too much time in HMV especially when theres a sale on..

So basically everyday? I love how HMV and Virgin always have a million "BIGGEST EVER!!!" sales a year.

I have a couple of friends with similar musical taste, so I check out their recommendations (and the occasional mix cd).

I listen to bands/musicians that musicians I like recommend (Gersey was liked by SK; MWP picked Sea Ray to open for The Church last year -- I really quite like both bands now).

Read this forum and a similar forum on The Church bulletin board (got into Art of Fighting that way).

Very occasionally I'll just hear a song on one of the late night shows and it will pique my interest.

And there is one very small indie label I will buy everything they put out because generally I like it.

Last edited:
On amazon.com they have a thing where if you go look at a cd, it'll show you other CDs that others have bought who also bought the CD you are looking at.

that's how i found out about death cab, from looking at a postal service cd

i hear new music from the good people at this board plus about a half dozen others. i've bought a bunch of cds because of what people here alone have reccomended. i've bought a couple things as a result of ICDE mixes i've received :up:

i go to shows where i see opening bands (or headliners on occasion when i go to see the opening bands) i've never heard of.

i read through the thank-yous on cds from bands i like and check out the bands they mention.

i look into side projects from people in bands i like, along with post-band work from ex-members.

i frequent the sites of record labels i like and dowload free mp3s they post. the most recent album i purchased based on a single mp3 was the new breed's "off the beaten path". that album is great, kind of a rock n roll-y type punk with some underlying rockabilly/psychobilly tendencies, i guess. i've downloaded and liked almost every single song from every single band on thorp records current roster.

various internet radio-type sites that i've found on message boards.

for a while i was listening to launch.com's radio. that was pretty cool. i'm considering getting online XM radio when i'm at school, depending on whether or not my connection likes it. i tried the free trial on my dial-up. it

every once in a while i'll go through itunes videos. i'm still not a huge fan of the idea of buying mp3s rather than albums. if i want to hear something before buying it, i'll find some other way of hearing it first. and then if i like it, i'll go buy it.

college radio. i rarely actually listen to college radio. i'm somewhat of a jerk, i hardly ever listen to my friends' shows. the longest stretch of time i can spend listening to anything that any college station i've ever heard plays is the 2 and a half hours a week where i'm doing my own show. i hear a lot of stuff going through the stacks of music while i'm looking for stuff to play, and when i'm reviewing stuff for music staff. i should really spend more time down there listening to music because i know there's a lot of great stuff i'm missing as it is.

i listen to the mainstream country stations around here. i used to listen to the mainstream rock stations and the oldies and classic station when we still had them. (technically we still have a classic rock station, but they play mostly stuff from the 80s and 90s now. i love pearl jam, but i'm sorry, they don't belong on a classic rock station. when they do decide to play "classic stuff", they don't play much more than the same 5 zeppelin songs over and over)

Direct or indirect suggestion from artist I respect. that seems to carry the most critical weight for me.

Artists usually have the least to gain - unlike the usual hype machine.

u2fp

unosdostres14 said:
On amazon.com they have a thing where if you go look at a cd, it'll show you other CDs that others have bought who also bought the CD you are looking at.

Yeah - I have bought CD's on the basis of that as well. Other than that recommendations from friends or stuff via internet radio.

Depends.

There are bands I discovered through my brother's stereo - Queen, U2.
some through radio - Crowded House, Beatles.
some through their legendary status and I just want to know more about them - Clash, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Springsteen, Dylan, Bowie, Elvis. (in this case, I will usually get a Best of)

And well, there's some bands I see on *ducks* MTV that get my interest - like The Killers, Coldplay, the Strokes.

U2girl said:

some through their legendary status and I just want to know more about them - Clash, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Springsteen, Dylan, Bowie, Elvis.

ah, yes. i forgot about that. "hmm, i should know stuff by this band, lemme check em out"

(in this case, I will usually get a Best of)

that's too bad. especially with a band like the clash. although i'm biased as i've yet to see (at least i can't recall seeing one) a "best of" with "death or glory" on the track listing.

I have several methods, most of which have been mentioned...

- Checking out bands/artists that other bands/artists that I like are into or have been influenced by.

- Checking out bands/artists that are similar to or related to the ones I already like.

- In the past I used to get recommendations from music mags, but I don't really do that anymore because they have been steadily going down the toilet.

- Sometimes I have even investigated music just because it's associated with certain labels or producers that I respect.

- When I was growing up, my older brother had a big CD collection that I used to go through and listen to. That was far and away the most important source during my formative years.

- I have shopped from music clubs for a long time and in the days before sampling music online was common, sometimes I would just buy stuff from their mail order catalogs because they made it sound interesting.

This forum, the Ryan Adams board, and music magazines. I read a ton of them. Unfortunately, I spend all of my money reading about new music, and then I can't afford to buy the music. :wink:

U2girl said:
Well for the Clash it was London Calling.

ah, so you've got death or glory then :up:

but you're missing out on straight to hell, white man in hammersmith palais, and safe european home. not to mention a bunch of other great songs

ok, i'll stop now.

Back
Top Bottom