How do you discover new music?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
barlowdog said:
It's a combination of things.

I read lots (websites and magazines)
Internet Radio
Suggestions from friends

Mostly, I actively seek new music because I have an insatiable music craving.

This is how I do it too. Sometimes I feel guilty because I constantly buy new music and I feel that I don't give some albums enough time but I need more.

Usually i would hear a song by the band i like on the radio, then i would find out what album it's on and see what allmusic.com gave it. If it was positive i would go from there.

cmb737 said:
still listening ONLY to Van Halen in your camaro

:lol: :up:

I love 70s and 80s music ... I guess I'm trapped in those eras ... wouldn't give them up for nothing !! :bow:

As for the small amount of new music I do listen to, I usually hear it on VH-1, MTV or the radio and then decide if I like it or not, before actually buying anything from the music store !! :wink:

Music Blogs are my favorite new way of disovering music, other than suggestions from friends

You Ain't No Picasso, Indie Surfer Blog, Welcome to the Midwest, Revolution in the Head, Confabulators, Dolphins with Radars -- all great.

I explore music after hearing something about them from the following people who post here:

U2popmofo
Elvis Presley (eachnotesecure) :up:
Caisenma
Cujo
Barlowdog
basstrap
Meggannie
Jkayet
Mr. Brau1
Calluna
Heartlandgirl

I also have a group of friends from the last town that I lived in that are WAY ahead of the indie curve. They tell me about music - and sure enough, it has a lot of buzz one month later.

AND I visit parasol records website and pitchfork...although I don't HAVE to visit Pitchfork when I have u2popmofo's Interference/pitchfork music news feed. :D

magazines/blogs/e-magazines
boards (Interpol board and this one)
slsk Indie chat
allmusic.com (you know, I type a band I like and there appear similar artists...)

etc

corianderstem said:
Magazines, MP3 blogs and other Internet places, radio stations like WOXY and KEXP.

I listen to WOXY everyday at work. I've discovered some terrific new music there. I'll have to check out KEXP.

Back
Top Bottom