How do I introduce my dad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
To Radiohead?

I really like Radiohead and I want to slowly introduce my dad by playing him some stuff. Trouble is I don't know what to play for him. Here's some details about him so you can get your mind around it.

He's 45, married, etc. He likes most music, but hates rap. His favorites are Pink Floyd (courtesy of yours truly) and most other classic rock. He also likes some metal (AC/DC & Metallica, mostly).

So what should I play for him? I was considering just popping The Bends in the CD player, but now I'm leaning more towards a compilation. So what are your suggestions?

i'm probably way off here, but i think you should start with pablo honey. sure no self-respecitng radiohead fan would say that, but it most closely resembles a rock band album, rather than an experimental rock band...and base the next stuff you play for him on the songs he likes off that...

pablo honey, then the bends... maybe, if he's daring, recommend ok computer... anything beyond that is at your risk. :wink:

I'd say go with The Bends, or OK Computer. Or maybe a mix of the two. If your dad likes Pink Floyd, I think he should be open to liking Radiohead

I'd say Bends and OK Computer. If he likes straight out rock more than the mroe experimental than go with Bends, and maybe PH.

If you love someone, don't expose him to Pablo Honey.

The Bends isn't really very experimental like, say, Kid A. It also isn't really very painful like, say, Pablo Honey. Start there instead. (OK Computer isn't that strange either, really.)

Alternatively, start him off on Kid A, which is where I started. If he can get into that, the rest is easy.

Last edited:
heh...i'd say make a mix of bends, ok comp, and a couple good songs off ph. when i make a rh mix for someone, i tend to put on the songs i like plus the songs that people may have heard before (creep, karma police, etc)

I would give him a large dose of the Bends, if he likes it, let him listen to it again and again.
Then, slowly bring him into OK Computer and even more slowly into Kid A and Amnesiac.
My dad is a very big radiohead fan, hes 52, and has all thier stuff, except Pablo Honey....:wink:

Elvis Presley said:
I would give him a large dose of the Bends, if he likes it, let him listen to it again and again.
Then, slowly bring him into OK Computer and even more slowly into Kid A and Amnesiac.
My dad is a very big radiohead fan, hes 52, and has all thier stuff, except Pablo Honey....:wink:

i actually agree with ep, but did it slightly differently. i started my dad on ok, then onto the bends, then kid a & amnesiac. he actually then asked ME to burn him a copy of httt. HE ASKED ME.

I played "My Myxmatosis" for my dad after he asked me about the band I saw in NYC when we had our family weekend. I am sure he tuned it out in the first ten seconds....but he is in his mid-sixties and doesn't like "the loud noise." :|

Call up Thom Yorke, see if he and the band are free for dinner, bring your Dad, have them shake hands and introduce them: "Dad, this is Radiohead, radiohead, this is dad."

My dad listens almost exclusively to classical music. He listens to a show on NPR (I think it's called From The Top) where talented young musicians come and perform. The host is Christopher O'Riley, who is an excellent pianist and also a huge Radiohead fan. Apparently O'Riley has played a couple of his Radiohead transcriptions on the show. (I just got his cd of Radiohead transcriptions a couple days ago - it's excellent stuff! :up: )

To show you how hip my dad is to the modern pop/rock scene, he tells me one day "On From The Top, the pianist played a couple transcriptions of songs from that popular British band everyone is talking about these days."

Me: Um....that popular British band, thanks dad, you've narrowed it down a bunch. You mean Radiohead?

Dad: Yeah, that sounds like it.

:laugh:

Last edited:
why not throw in the best at once?! just start with hail to the thief, than go back in reversed chronological order.

My dad has the most eclectic music taste, its unreal some of the stuf he likes.

Why dont u make your dad a tape or something with a mixture of radiohead tunes? I like Pablo honey :up:

Well I'm cough43cough and although I've loved Radiohead since The Bends, it was really Kid A that let me know that they were soulmates and then it just kept getting better. Recently I had a friend in my car who is 60 and HTTT was on at a low volume and as I was telling a story he suddenly made me be quiet when he caught Sail to the Moon in the background. I turned it up and we ended up sitting in the car for an hour as I went through one Radiohead song after another as he exclaimed, "Martha, why haven't you told me about Radiohead before? Why have you been holding this back from me? Where have I been while Radiohead was taking over the world?" It was incredible. Then I put on National Anthem insanely loud and he had some kind of religious experience.

:lol:

edit: p.s. This particular 60 year old man was also running around naked at the original Woodstock ...

Last edited:
My mom tends to like Radiohead... as long as it isnt the most 3 most recent albums, which most of the time she says 'what is that noise?' while particular songs are playing.

I was thinking....not much room for mispronunciation there( my dad sometimes mispronounces the names of bads I like, makes me :)...it does)

and then I saw it!! :eyebrow:
Rad IO Head

Now I may be as old as your dad Dave C, but when I was a girl, we described something good as being "rad" i.e. RADical.
Maybe Thom hangs out at It's Official?

maybe

Can your dad hear it yet?..the good things about radIOhead?
You can lead a parent to the stereo........

I love the music my kids play:up:

My Dad got me into radiohead soo I don't really have any advice...
My Dad also got me into U2 so he's got great taste!

Back
Top Bottom