How do I change my name? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 08:55 AM
How do I change my name?

Well now that i'm married....I have no idea how to change my name. Can anyone help me out? LOL I've tried doing a search on the net but I kinda get confused.


Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator
Sicy's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 69,343
Local Time: 05:55 AM
That's a good question.. I'd like to know too.

I would assume you would need to call all your bank and credit card companies to let them know.. probably provide a copy of the marriage certificate

Sicy is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Rono's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: the Netherlands
Posts: 6,163
Local Time: 02:55 PM
Re: How do I change my name?

Originally posted by Mullen-Girl
Well now that i'm married....I have no idea how to change my name. Can anyone help me out? LOL I've tried doing a search on the net but I kinda get confused.

But i like your name, mullen-girl.

In the Netherlands it is in the city hall and you should bring your passport and prove that you are married .
Rono is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 01:14 PM   #4
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: the land of the drunken bunnies
Posts: 486
Local Time: 08:55 AM
I'd suggest calling the town or city hall, or the DMV. Maybe also ask a lawyer you know or check federal gov't websites about passports under the FAQ if they have one.

edited to say I can't remember if I've congratulated you or not, so *confetti* Congrats, good luck, and I hope you have a lifetime of happy marriage!
Bbug is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #5
love, blood, life
HelloAngel's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: new york city
Posts: 14,534
Local Time: 09:55 AM
Hey there...

I searched for you and found this site:

HelloAngel is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #6
The Flower
BAW's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The OC....!!!!
Posts: 11,094
Local Time: 05:55 AM
You need to order a few certified copies of your marriage certificate so you can change your driver's license and SS card...if you do that by mail, they need originals but they do send them back. If you go in person, you just have to show it to them. I think you need it to charnge your bank account info too.

I don't remember how I changed my credit cards...I think I called and had new card issued

You'll REALLY feel married when you get your driver's license with your new name!
BAW is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 17,927
Local Time: 08:55 AM
I think all I ever did was call up all the people who mattered and tell them: car ins., bank account, bills, and of course your license and SS. It's been 11 years, I don't remember if I had to use my marriage cert. or not in this state but I know it was no big deal to get a new license. They want a lot more info now to prove who you are because they are trying to stop fake IDs for terrorists so you might have to take your whole life's history to the DMV

Once your new name gets on all the official lists, it won't be long before everyone knows, and you even start getting junk mail in your new name

Oh, and make sure you tell somebody you went to school with so they can find you for class reunions!
U2Kitten is offline  
Old 07-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
meegannie's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Norwich, England
Posts: 15,798
Local Time: 01:55 PM
I've got to do all of this next month and go to the embassy to get an amendment in my passport. I guess I'll get my new social security card too. Which will be good because I signed my current one when I was 3, so my 'signature' is in print.
meegannie is offline  
Old 07-09-2004, 03:34 AM   #9
Jesus Online
Angela Harlem's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: a glass castle
Posts: 30,163
Local Time: 12:55 AM
Your name should have already been legally changed when the person with the authority to marry you submitted the marriage certificate to which ever government department it is (here it is the registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages) showing your previous name and the name you are marrying to. Now you have the fun job of changing all your ID like licence and credit cards etc. You'll need a certified copy of the marriage certificate for these places though.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Angela Harlem is offline  
Old 07-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #10
She Is Raging's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 1,729
Local Time: 09:55 AM

Hey Congrats!!!

I got one of these as a gift when I got engaged.... it has all the paperwork etc that you'll need to change your name!!
She Is Raging is offline  
Old 07-09-2004, 10:26 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Mullen-Girl's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: San Antonio/Austin, TX
Posts: 4,951
Local Time: 08:55 AM
Kewl! Thanks everyone. I have to wait till the certificate is mailed back to us. Might be a week more
Mullen-Girl is offline  
Old 07-09-2004, 03:42 PM   #12
LoveTown's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 1,359
Local Time: 09:55 AM
MG....congrats! *sigh* all those years of drooling over he will never know what he has missed out on....

your husband stole Larry's woman....Poor poor Larry
LoveTown is offline  
Old 07-10-2004, 12:59 AM   #13
love, blood, life
indra's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 12,689
Local Time: 09:55 AM
A bit off the subject, but when my sister got married she didn't change her name and many relatives were horrified. One even exclaimed, "She can't do that. It's illegal!" (btw, it isn't illegal, at least not here)
indra is offline  
Old 07-10-2004, 05:09 PM   #14
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,680
Local Time: 07:55 AM
cristy, i'll tell you how i did it. i went down to my local social security office. they'll ask for your current ss card, as well as a copy of your marriage license, and probably your birth certificate and/or driver's license. once you do that, your name will legally be changed and then you can go about telling your creditors, etc.

it doesn't take long to do, just the standing in line bit.

KhanadaRhodes is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright ©